Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps4 console for hubby

Options
  • 21-02-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to get my hubby a ps4 for his birthday. Problem.is he's the expert here and I want to surprise him.

What's the best consoles out there?? What am i looking for and what do i have to watch out for. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4 will probably do him but a PS4 pro will be more expensive. I'd only go the PS4 pro route if you have a 4K TV, it's a bit of a waste otherwise.

If you aren't sure just go with the PS4.

As for games, ask him what he likes. I'd say Bloodborne is the best game on the PS4 but it's incredibly difficult so not for everyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Argos are selling the 1tb Slim PS4 with Call of Duty Legacy Edition bundled in for 369.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

trixychic wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm wanting to get my hubby a ps4 for his birthday. Problem.is he's the expert here and I want to surprise him.

What's the best consoles out there?? What am i looking for and what do i have to watch out for. Thanks

As said above,if you have a 4k tv,go for the pro.. if he has a pc or another console,check what games he has there,a put the names up here,good chance people here will be able to advise what games he'll probably like based on those,if he doesnt,then maybe buy him psn credit worth the price of a couple of games,he can buy off the ps store then..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Does he currently have a games console? if so, which type? and what games does he have for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

He has a PS3 and he loves things like ninja gaiden, onamusha, assassins cteed, call of duty,... fantasy stuff. I know there are loads of games out that he's been on about.. just can't remember which ones.

Normally IT was fighting and monster of some sort.

I remember when he bought the console he has he paid alot to make sure it had loads of memory on it. He doesnt really play via internet so its all about the games.

We don't have the 4k tv but we might be upgrading this summer. Is there any point getting the pro console with an upgrade in mind??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the PS4 comes with 500GB & 1TB as memory options, and the difference in price between the 2 is marginal, so make sure and get him the 1TB version,

Don't just get the console alone, as for a few quid more you can get a game(s) thrown in with it.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5639847/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CPS4%7C37328275/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328275%7CPS4+consoles%7C37328622.htm

but for the same price you can get;

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6077178/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CPS4%7C37328275/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328275%7CPS4+consoles%7C37328622.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

While people are very anti gamestop (for games I agree) they do some good console bundles. I got a PS4 slim in October. For €350 I got a 1TB slim console, an extra controller and GTA5 (was actually FIFA that came with the console and I traded for GTA) . Definitely shop around but do check what current deals Gamestop are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

trixychic wrote:
    We don't have the 4k tv but we might be upgrading this summer. Is there any point getting the pro console with an upgrade in mind??

if your planning on upgrading definitely get the pro as for games assassins creed ezio collection be good bet if into those games

Thanks all for your help. One more question.

Is there much difference between the slim consoles and the regular ones or the special edition consoles and the regular ones... or is it just different shells so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

trixychic wrote:
    Is there much difference between the slim consoles and the regular ones or the special edition consoles and the regular ones... or is it just different shells so to speak.

slim ones run with less noise, less energy etc, there the newest models available, regular models are being phased out for slims, all run the same games etc, special edition models are just a special paint job essentially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Great time to buy one as there are some great new games out

If he likes ninja gaiden and ass creed, see if you can get him these two games

This is out now
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AW2KE4M-Nioh-PS4/dp/B01AW2KE4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487718736&sr=8-1&keywords=nioh+ps4

This will be out next week
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Standard-Edition/dp/B00ZG1S88E/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1487718778&sr=1-1&keywords=horizon+zero+dawn

Can't Thank you all enough for the help. Gonna try to sneak out and have a look at these without him or the kids in the next while. Hopefully it'll be a nice surprise. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

trixychic wrote: »
    He has a PS3 and he loves things like ninja gaiden, onamusha, assassins cteed, call of duty,... fantasy stuff. I know there are loads of games out that he's been on about.. just can't remember which ones.

Normally IT was fighting and monster of some sort.

If you are upgrading then the ps4 pro would be the one to go for..

Games wise

Bloodborne
    The Witcher 3
    Dark Souls 3
    Nioh
    Doom
    Battlefield 1 and if hes really into Call Of Duty then the New one is worth getting too

He'll be feckin delighted either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP your hubby is one lucky guy.

There are some good deals out there and I think for the sake of 50euro the PS4 pro is well worth the extra punt. The PRO will future proof you a bit, and its extra horse power is meant to be good for the VR headset if you ever go that route. I went from launch day to the Pro with a decent telly and I can see the difference.

In terms of the games - you've got some great ones listed about above.
    Also keep an eye out for
    Farcry 3 or 4 - you should be able to get them cheap 2nd hand
    Uncharted 4 (assuming he has the first 3 on the PS3 - they are also available for the PS4)
    The Last of Us (if he again doesn't have it for the PS3)

Best of luck later picking one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Taltos wrote: »
    OP your hubby is one lucky guy.

There are some good deals out there and I think for the sake of 50euro the PS4 pro is well worth the extra punt. The PRO will future proof you a bit, and its extra horse power is meant to be good for the VR headset if you ever go that route. I went from launch day to the Pro with a decent telly and I can see the difference.

In terms of the games - you've got some great ones listed about above.
    Also keep an eye out for
    Farcry 3 or 4 - you should be able to get them cheap 2nd hand
    Uncharted 4 (assuming he has the first 3 on the PS3 - they are also available for the PS4)
    The Last of Us (if he again doesn't have it for the PS3)

Best of luck later picking one up.

Does the Pro really make much of a difference to PSVR? I've the slim and the PSVR works great on it. Apologies don't want to derail thread but Q doesn't really warrant a thread of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

SteoL wrote: »
    Does the Pro really make much of a difference to PSVR? I've the slim and the PSVR works great on it. Apologies don't want to derail thread but Q doesn't really warrant a thread of its own.

I've only ever used the VR with my Pro but from what I understand it does make a difference to most of the games on VR.

This article from Digital Foundry on Eurogamer will give you a good idea of where the improvements lie:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-how-does-ps4-pro-improve-the-psvr-experience

Well I kinda owe him. Last yr I had so much on my mind I forgot it was his birthday until about 12 in the day. So this will hopefully make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Sorry for hijacking the thread but will a ps4 bought in Germany work here or has it a different region for games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It'll work.
    Just the plug you'll need to get changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Taltos wrote: »
    It'll work.
    Just the plug you'll need to get changed.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement