Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Stew

Options
  • 21-02-2017 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm making a beef stew tonight which always turns out well.
    However it's never like I want it to be - you know when you go to a restaurant and get a good steak and ale pie, the filling is really thick and full of really strong flavour?

Any tips on how I can get this at home?
    I normally put Guinness in or ale but it can still be a bit flat and I never get that lovely thick consistency I'm after.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Take out some of the liquid and mix it with cornflour til smooth then put it back in. It thickens it right up (that was my dinner on Sunday!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Add a little chilli flakes, some tomato paste and some dried soup mix plus some Worcestershire sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Add some potato (mashed) or potato flakes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Coat the beef chunks in seasoned flour before you brown them. The residual flour will help thicken the gravy. You can add more flour later if you wish to thicken further.

Using a tough, gelatinous cut like beef shin will also help thicken the stew & give it a deeper beefy flavour. Good stock will help flavour-wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

That's a great idea about coating the beef, I always forget to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Zelda247 wrote: »
    That's a great idea about coating the beef, I always forget to do that.
    Makes an unmerciful mess, but really helps to brown and crispy up the meat before putting it into the stew!

I usually make stew with Guinness, and find that the longer you stew it (I do it in the oven on low heat in a casserole dish) the nicer/more tender the meat gets, but also the richer the sauce/gravy gets.

For stock I find the Knorr stockpots by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally, I've given up on flouring the meat before browning. Makes a mess, wastes flour and I find it impossible to find a balance between browning the meat sufficiently and burning the flour to the bottom of the pan. So I just add a bit of flour to the meat and vegetable mixture and fry it around a bit for a minute or two before adding the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

if you are stuck for a little beef, add some bacon, no one will know not even yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You need to cook it for a long time to get that consistency. The onions, carrots etc need heat to make them melt into the stew. That's the reason I don't make stew in the slow cooker, it doesn't get hot enough to melt the veg properly. I always find that the first day of a stew I just have to accept it. Second or even third day (if it lasts that long) is where the magic starts to happen. Same goes for chili or ragu... In my experience it'll need at least 4 hours before it's good to go.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Makes an unmerciful mess, but really helps to brown and crispy up the meat before putting it into the stew!

I usually make stew with Guinness, and find that the longer you stew it (I do it in the oven on low heat in a casserole dish) the nicer/more tender the meat gets, but also the richer the sauce/gravy gets.

For stock I find the Knorr stockpots by far the best.
    Alun wrote: »
    Personally, I've given up on flouring the meat before browning. Makes a mess, wastes flour and I find it impossible to find a balance between browning the meat sufficiently and burning the flour to the bottom of the pan. So I just add a bit of flour to the meat and vegetable mixture and fry it around a bit for a minute or two before adding the liquid.

If adding the flour I'll pop the meat, flour and seasoning in a bag and give it an old shake. Coats everything and any extra is just left behind in the bag. I agree about burning some of it to the bottom of the pan though. Can be a pain scraping it all off before throwing in everything else.

Personally I don't coat the meat, but my dad swears by it. Coincidentally I prefer my stew and he prefers his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Start with lardons which will help a lot with flavour (bacon makes everything taste better!)
    Get big bits of beef. The tiny precut beef bits you see at the butcher are no good, ask for shin and get it cut in to decent larger sized pieces.
    Use red wine instead of beer and if you need additional liquid use beef or chicken stock
    Keep tasting as you cook and season appropriately and remember a beef pie in a restaurant most likely has a lot more salt in it that you may use at home.

Oh another thing... I'd usually use Guinness, but in a thread a while back it was recommended that basically any ale will taste better than Guinness. I've never tried that now, but something to consider...

And while I'm rambling on about stew, dumplings (made from suet) beat spuds in my book. Of course you can have both, but dumplings, with salt and maybe a bit a thyme mixed in are incredible when cooked in the stew for half an hour or so (can't remember how long...the packet has instructions on it anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Thanks for all the replies.

I always make dumplings - absolutely incredible! I used to use Atora suet but then one day I tried them with just flour and water (as per Jamie Oliver) and they were perfect - so delicious.
    And I put chunks of potato in the stew.

I use Guinness or Ale a lot, recently used red wine a few times but I think I prefer the ale version.

I think my problem is I put too much liquid in and it can't thicken like I want it to.
    I made my stew last night with half a bottle of red wine, beef stock cubes x2 (was out of Knoor stock pots, damn) and a pint of water plus herbs etc.
    Put in the slow cooker for 10 hours - absolutely beautiful but still not thick. Added cornflour and it didn't help.

I sometimes do it in the oven but I find the meat isn't as tender as it is in a slow cooker. And I always buy a fatty cut for the extra flavour and tenderness.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

I always make dumplings - absolutely incredible! I used to use Atora suet but then one day I tried them with just flour and water (as per Jamie Oliver) and they were perfect - so delicious.
    And I put chunks of potato in the stew.

I use Guinness or Ale a lot, recently used red wine a few times but I think I prefer the ale version.

I think my problem is I put too much liquid in and it can't thicken like I want it to.
    I made my stew last night with half a bottle of red wine, beef stock cubes x2 (was out of Knoor stock pots, damn) and a pint of water plus herbs etc.
    Put in the slow cooker for 10 hours - absolutely beautiful but still not thick. Added cornflour and it didn't help.

I sometimes do it in the oven but I find the meat isn't as tender as it is in a slow cooker. And I always buy a fatty cut for the extra flavour and tenderness.

Do you cook on low or high in the slow cooker? I'm having more success cooking on high when doing stews or chilies to get everything thickened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

have you tried leaving the lid off so liquid can evaporate?

Do you cook on low or high in the slow cooker? I'm having more success cooking on high when doing stews or chilies to get everything thickened...

Cooked on low for 10 hours - I find even the low setting on mine is quite high though.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    have you tried leaving the lid off so liquid can evaporate?

I sometimes take it off for the last hour - do you leave yours off for the whole cooking period?

Cooked on low for 10 hours - I find even the low setting on mine is quite high though.

Go with high, you need to get them veg melting :) Might do it for ya!
    I sometimes take it off for the last hour - do you leave yours off for the whole cooking period?

I wouldn't do that tbh. I find in the slow cooker you'll reduce the volume but it'll be just as watery. On the hob it'll boil off but also thicken, but I'm sticking to my "slow cookers can't melt the veg" point ;)

Go with high, you need to get them veg melting :) Might do it for ya!

I wouldn't do that tbh. I find in the slow cooker you'll reduce the volume but it'll be just as watery. On the hob it'll boil off but also thicken, but I'm sticking to my "slow cookers can't melt the veg" point ;)

Sorry, I should have said that I only leave the lid off for a while in the oven.
    I never do with the slow cooker.

I have some experimenting to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

You need much less liquid if using the slow cooker as nothing evaporates and the water content of the veg increases the liquid. When I use slow cooker for stews the liquid does not even cover the stew stuff to start with, otherwise it's just watery, now you can thicken it up with enough roux or cornflour or whatever but it just won't be concentrated enough to get a decent flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If I find that I have too much liquid in a pot on a low heat - I sometimes ladle the excess into another pot on a high heat to reduce it, then add the concentrated liquid back to the pot before serving for added flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I think you're using too much liquid.

Damn you all, now I want stew.

But I've no room in my freezer :mad:

Ok I've cracked it.

Came home tonight and put a portion of the stew (that I made in the slow cooker yesterday) into a saucepan and added cornflour.
    Bought it to the boil slowly whilst stirring and then left it to simmer on a low heat for an hour.

Result: a thick, amazingly flavoured stew that is the best I've ever made!
    I'm so happy.

I'm delighted as now I know what to do, I could make an amazing beef and ale pie.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All you stewficianados, I need your help please!

I'm making a beef and ale stew for tomorrow. I used brown ale 4%, leeks, carrots, celery, onion and beef. It's been in the slow cooker all afternoon. However, it tastes really bitter. Any suggestions to counter the bitterness?

I'm making a beef and ale stew for tomorrow. I used brown ale 4%, leeks, carrots, celery, onion and beef. It's been in the slow cooker all afternoon. However, it tastes really bitter. Any suggestions to counter the bitterness?
    The recipe i use has a spoon of redcurrant jelly in it.... not sure it'd totally counteract the bitterness but might be worth try?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

A touch of lemon or lime for a sour taste,a teaspoon of sugar for sweetness and salt soy or wostershire sauce for umami,and chilli if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I always add Worcestershire Sauce or a few anchovies, they melt down. (that's what's in the W sauce anyway!)

Adds a lovely depth of flavour that I always notice if it's not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Go to your local butcher and ask for shin of beef rather than the usual chunks. Takes a long slow cook but the decadent buttery result is stunning.

Advertisement