Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Stew

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I threw a big dollop of redcurrent jelly into it this evening and, whilst a little bit better, still had a bitter undertone. Mrs G! said it was the slow cooker - it isn't hot enough to boil off the alcohol so that is why it's bitter.

It's now in the oven for a couple of hours, maybe tomorrow we'll try again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

I threw a big dollop of redcurrent jelly into it this evening and, whilst a little bit better, still had a bitter undertone. Mrs G! said it was the slow cooker - it isn't hot enough to boil off the alcohol so that is why it's bitter.

It's now in the oven for a couple of hours, maybe tomorrow we'll try again. :rolleyes:

mrs G might have a good point ale can be bitter and the alcohol can take longer to cook off so maybe cook it in a pot on a high heat for 10 mins or longer,Best of luck

coleslaw wrote: »
    mrs G might have a good point ale can be bitter and the alcohol can take longer to cook off so maybe cook it in a pot on a high heat for 10 mins or longer,Best of luck[ ps strain and rejuice the liquid
    /QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ps strain and rejuice the liquid

Can you explain the rejuice part please?

Just had a taste after an hour in the oven at 150c. The bitterness was gone. :)

Can you explain the rejuice part please?

strain the liquid in a pot and put on a high heat until the liquid has reduced by at least have its volume it will become more silkie with a lot more flavour,then add back to the stew

• Advertisement

strain the liquid in a pot and put on a high heat until the liquid has reduced by at least have its volume it will become more silkie with a lot more flavour,then add back to the stew

sorry for the grammar and spelling

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great thread which has solved my dilnemna.

I always did beef stew in the slow cooker, and ended up with watery juice rather than gravy.

Did the same last night then read this thread.

3 hours in the oven at 150 later, I've gotten what I can only describe at sheer deliciousness :) Thick sauce, now the veg hasn't melted but is very tender, the beef (shin) is gorgeous and it's just yum

Lesson learned :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My OH got home late intent on having a reheated portion of last nights roast chicken dinner.

He came in and I asked him would he like that, his reply "I smelled the stew so I'll try that"

A half portion of his normal dinner later, he was tapping his tummy preparing to belch while prounouncing "best stew ever"

All thanks to this thread :)

Thanks y'all

It was magic tbh :) Rich thick gravy, tender meat (no fat as all the fat melted down) and soft yummy veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Did you put flour on your beef pieces before frying?
    And did you use any ale/red wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I manage to cook it very well in the slow cooker. I fry the beef cubes with onion then add to carrots, potatoes, parsnip, soup mix (dried lentils etc) small rooster potatoes, small amount of water, stock cube, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and finally a few chilli flakes. I cook on low for about 10 hours and it is delicious with very thick gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I manage to cook it very well in the slow cooker. I fry the beef cubes with onion then add to carrots, potatoes, parsnip, soup mix (dried lentils etc) small rooster potatoes, small amount of water, stock cube, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and finally a few chilli flakes. I cook on low for about 10 hours and it is delicious with very thick gravy.

Interesting I think I'll give this a whirl in the next week or two. Up until now I've only made 1 stew in the slow cooker but was so disappointed with it I went back to my tried and trusted on the hob method. Would be nice to get a nice method for making a hands free one in the slow cooker though.

Zelda247 wrote: »

When you say a small amount of water, I'm guessing then that the beef/veggies aren't covered?

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Did you put flour on your beef pieces before frying?
    And did you use any ale/red wine?

Yes I did flour the meat.

I didn't use any ale/red wine. After having it in the slow cooker for about 7 hours on low I took it out and put it in the oven onstead

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes I did flour the meat.

I didn't use any ale/red wine. After having it in the slow cooker for about 7 hours on low I took it out and put it in the oven onstead

Sorry for all the questions but as you've cracked it, you're now the beef stew guru :P

When you took it out of the slow cooker and into the oven for 3 more hours, did you leave the lid off the pot?

Sorry for all the questions but as you've cracked it, you're now the beef stew guru :P

When you took it out of the slow cooker and into the oven for 3 more hours, did you leave the lid off the pot?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

When you say a small amount of water, I'm guessing then that the beef/veggies aren't covered?

Correct, the is just enough water to sort of go half way up the contents if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I use very large pieces of heavily seasoned beef like 150g each, mini steaks, hard fry them. use about 2kg (neck beef is €4.50 a kilo in local chinese store). The trick for me is prepare and thicken your stock in a pan before you put it in the slow cooker. I use a beurre manie to thicken my beef stock, a little bit of worcester sauce, bay, thyme, parsley tied up. Usual large pieces of carrot, celery and parsnip. All goes in to the slow cooker, on low for about 7 hours. Always cook for the day after, so prep it sat afternoon for sunday/monday evening meals.

i would leave the lid off at that stage, and if need be add a few drops of water or so until nice and thick like a gravy,if you leave the lid on the steam will build up and the sauce will be watery

• Registered Users Posts: 1 needacoffee

Coat the meat in flour and brown in pan before adding it to the pot. This will add a lovely brown colour to your Stew and it will also thicken it for you

Advertisement