Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Stop

• 21-02-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just a quick query there.

Earlier today whilst driving I overtook a very slow moving van. It was on a straight stretch of road so I overtook. However a Garda car was a few cars behind and pulled me over.

To my joy, I realised I'd left my wallet at home. He Guard said I overtook on the line and I asked for a licencr. I explained I didn't have it on me so I've to produce it and my Insurance Cert at my local station.

Now I've two questions;

1. What are the repercussions? He didn't say anything about points or a fine to me?

2. My local station is rarely open. I told him that's where I would produce my licence. Do I have to produce it there or can I go to a different station?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A. This should be in motors.

1. Its an offence to not carry your licence now, so thats an instant FCPN, then crossing the line can be done too. Whichever carries the most points is how many points you'll get.

2. Dont know. Call them when they are open and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

ED E wrote: »
    Its an offence to not carry your licence now, so thats an instant FCPN.

Yes it's an offence which is not applied when the 10 day option to produce is afforded, but there is no FCPN for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It shows that I'm a cyclist, cheers for the correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You have to show it at the Garda station you indicated. The Garda that pulled you over will check with that station in over 10 days time to check you gave in your details. They still manually record such details in the station log book and will check in the timeframe indicated. However if the local Garda station is infrequently opened you could check the bigger station he is slotted to and see if it is ok you produce it there. All Garda stations that open infrequently have a dialer that you can contact the station they report to.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

You have to show it at the Garda station you indicated. The Garda that pulled you over will check with that station in over 10 days time to check you gave in your details. They still manually record such details in the station log book and will check in the timeframe indicated. However if the local Garda station is infrequently opened you could check the bigger station he is slotted to and see if it is ok you produce it there. All Garda stations that open infrequently have a dialer that you can contact the station they report to.

You can show it at ANY garda station. It's a station of your choice... the guard will check that you produced on their PULSE system. It's all recorded on the system, never in a log book. Once you produce within 10 days you should be ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Rmgblue wrote:
    You can show it at ANY garda station. It's a station of your choice... the guard will check that you produced on their PULSE system. It's all recorded on the system, never in a log book. Once you produce within 10 days you should be ok!

I think this might be wrong. I know that you used to have to nominate a station at the time you are pulled in.
    Again happy to be corrected but isn't there a backlog on entering data on pulse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think this might be wrong. I know that you used to have to nominate a station at the time you are pulled in.
    Again happy to be corrected but isn't there a backlog on entering data on pulse

Backlog? The production is done there and then.
    It has to be, it's within 10 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaithiW

Rang another station and they said I could drop it in there! Anyone have any idea if I'll be fined or given points? Really hoping he will leave it go on a warning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Bu law you must nominate the station at the time you are requested to produce and produce at that station.

But this does not always happen, same way you don't always get the receipt your supposed to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Get a receipt or signed / stamped acknowledgment whenever you produce the licence and insurance at the station.

No process is perfect and it isn't unknown for someone who had produced within the ten days to be subsequently prosecuted in court for not producing due to an error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

DaithiW wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if I'll be fined or given points?

It's up to the guard. You could be given a fine/points or the guard could be happy once paperwork is in order but you could be summoned to court for careless/dangerous driving. Only the guard can give you a definitive answer I'm afraid

Correct they do enter into a log book but it is still entered under the cars details on pulse that it was produced.

The green man (dialer) was scrapped many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaithiW

Thank you all for the information!
    I have just drove past the area again, and it actually isn't a single line at all, it's a broken line for most the road that forms into a single line near a junction. Now I am nearly 100% sure that I got behind the broken line again before the single line started.

The Garda car was a few cars behind me so it would have been difficult for him to see the line on the road. I think I may dispute this altogether. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

What are you going to dispute? You didnt have your documents with you and were asked to produce within ten days. You don't have to have committed an offence for that demand to be made. My recommendation is produce within ten days and that will be the matter finished. If you go making a fuss about whether or not the line was broken the gard could decide to give you points and fine for not having the documents with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Produce the documentation and that will be the end of it IMO.

Slava Ukrainii

DaithiW wrote: »
    Thank you all for the information!
    I have just drove past the area again, and it actually isn't a single line at all, it's a broken line for most the road that forms into a single line near a junction. Now I am nearly 100% sure that I got behind the broken line again before the single line started.

The Garda car was a few cars behind me so it would have been difficult for him to see the line on the road. I think I may dispute this altogether. Any advice?

We could all tell you to contest a fine/points/summons that may or may well not be in the post but it's you that'll be in front of a judge regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it would be your word against the Gards... I can't see you winning that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

it would be your word against the Gards... I can't see you winning that one.
    Well, they've been telling a few fairy stories of late, haven't they?

Best to install a dashcam and have the proof in future if you believe you are innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Don't know if this you tube video from the 80s could help

https://youtu.be/PCPQZ1Le6dg

Advertisement