Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarsfield Bridge Buoys

• 21-02-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

A piece in the Limerick leader today has my blood boiling.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/236401/no-buoys-allowed-for-protected-bridge-in-limerick.html#.WKxkYoxNvKo.facebook

I'd love to know what construes a protected structure and where the line is drawn. You can paint lines on it, put up hanging flower baskets every summer and the lines to water feed them and put up string lights at Christmas. FFS - LCC get a bloody grip and put them up - Put up one on EVERY lamp post!

I hope to hell that none of those sanctimonius amadáns or their families never have recourse to need the use of a LIFE SAVING BUOY!

:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pretty sure the protected structure rules are set nationally and not by the council. And that the baskets are period appropriate and that's why they're allowed.
    To allow life buoys the bridge would have to have it's protected structure status removed, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Just because it is a protected structure does not mean a lifebuoy cannot be put on the bridge.

It just means it can't be done without a planning application (a local authorities own application).

I'm sure there can be a design for the buoy holder sympathetic to the bridge status made rather than a plastic monstrosity.

Don't know who is misinformed here, the councillors or the leader. Hopefully not the planners :v

Explain to me how it would remove the protected structure status? Pretty sure there is legislative procedure to remove such status which would be open to public consultation, the putting forward of an argument by the county manager and ultimate consideration being made by the councillors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Put on both traffic lights a pole inside the gate of the two rowing clubs and one each side of the short bridge.

Path mount them on low hoops like a bike stand.

Plenty of ways if we didn't have eejits running the council

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/08/07/bridges-need-life-saving-gear/

2 and a half years ago this was proposed by the same councillor and we are still at the same point

There used to be a life buoy at the 1916 memorialimgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.limerickleader.ie%2Fresizer%2F750%2F563%2Ftrue%2FGN4_DAT_6669150.jpg--limerick_artist_risks__life_and_limb__to_paint_1916_memorial.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.limerickleader.ie%2Fnews%2Fhome%2F204889%2FLimerick-artist-risks--life-and.html&docid=SIROBRQcKWY6-M&tbnid=EkarCekf00-CHM%3A&vet=1&w=750&h=563&bih=1161&biw=1190&q=old%20pictures%20sarsfield%20bridge&ved=0ahUKEwjbv9CQ-6HSAhXhJsAKHc8tCBY4ZBAzCEYoQjBC&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=563&imgrc=EkarCekf00-CHM:&vet=1&w=750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

And that the baskets are period appropriate and that's why they're allowed.

The baskets are absolutely not period appropriate! Alexander Nimmo, the designer of Sarsfield Bridge, is no doubt spinning in his grave at the desecration of the bridge with these.

On the subject of lifebuoys, do we really need more of them? Where is the evidence that they're needed?

moleyv wrote: »
    Explain to me how it would remove the protected structure status? Pretty sure there is legislative procedure to remove such status which would be open to public consultation, the putting forward of an argument by the county manager and ultimate consideration being made by the councillors.

Are we seriously going to consider removing the protected status of one of the finest bridges in Ireland so we can put more life rings on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Has anyone ever been saved by a life buoy in that stretch of river?

Treepole wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been saved by a life buoy in that stretch of river?

Not that I know of. The whole thing smacks of hysteria. Is a city councillor really the best person to decide whether more life rings are needed? I would say no, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

zulutango wrote: »
    Are we seriously going to consider removing the protected status of one of the finest bridges in Ireland so we can put more life rings on it?

It is possible to retain its protected status and have life buoys on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Apparently there are already two rings on the bridge. One at the 1916 memorial and another at Shannon rowing club. If that's the case then I think it's certainly sufficient

Suicide is obviously a highly sensitive issue. However in this instance the debate appears to have been hijacked by the perpetually outraged brigade on social media. Some of the sensationalist, irrational horse**** being spouted is absolutely outrageous!

zulutango wrote:

elastico wrote:
    It is possible to retain its protected status and have life buoys on it.

^^

People don't have a clue. Read what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I sadly witnessed a guy jump there one night many years ago - I reckon it would have in and around 1995/96 or so.

Long story short - I had to vault a gate (a few jars plus adrenalin - wouldn't do it for you from a cold start any day) into Limerick Boat Club to get a buoy to throw to him as he drifted downstream. He reached for it but couldn't grasp it. RIP.

It was clear to me he had 'come to his senses' at that point. So sad.

Had there been a buoy on the bridge... who knows.

I don't think there was a buoy on the monument in those days either.

The other standout memory from that night was the speed of the boat coming up from beyond the new bridge. God bless those people. Unfortunately, at that point it was just seeking to retrieve a body.

Advertisement