Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President of Iceland says if he could he would make pineapple on pizza illegal!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Turtwig wrote: »
    The President made his controversial remarks when asked about his favourite pizza toppings. This guy is definitely A&A's president and will make Pizza great again.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/news/a13243/president-of-iceland-announces-that-he-wants-to-ban-pineapple-on-pizza/

But but but ...they are only £1

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-thin-and-crispy-ham-and-pineapple-pizza-367g/p/57955

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The President made his controversial remarks when asked about his favourite pizza toppings
    Nothing controversial about those remarks at all - I quite agree with him.

If I were president of Iceland - a position which, I note, nobody has yet offered me, though I wait with hope - I'd also ban combining tomato and mushroom, and all pizze topped with salami. And celery. All celery. Everywhere.

The man is thinking in the right way and I for one approve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If he also bans the eating of pizza with a knife and fork, he has my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All hail Michael D, the bringer of true pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The President made his controversial remarks when asked about his favourite pizza toppings. This guy is definitely A&A's president and will make Pizza great again.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/news/a13243/president-of-iceland-announces-that-he-wants-to-ban-pineapple-on-pizza/

He'd have a big problem with lovers of Italian cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

He's just the president of Iceland, he's not that important. My niece works on the checkout there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This from a country where they eat fermented shark and sheep's testicles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Just has to stop stocking them in his shops.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Alun wrote: »
    This from a country where they eat fermented shark and sheep's testicles :D

Yeah and Icelandic sheep are known to be very respectful of their owners as a consequence. No kicking or anything, no siree. Or else it's meatballs for supper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »
    All hail Michael D, the bringer of true pizza.

Oh.

Iceland.

Not Ireland.

:embarrassed:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

There is a lot to like about Iceland. Here is one more thing. Sorry for the new thread, but I can't remember where the original debate was.

Please delete if totally inappropriate.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It appears that the President doesn't have the courage of his convictions. He is backing down from his previous position.

Turncoat! President Trump would never back down from anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It appears that the President doesn't have the courage of his convictions. He is backing down from his previous position.

Turncoat! President Trump would never back down from anything!

He of little faith, that is turned at the first sign of difficulty. Obviously he was never a TRUE Antipineappler. His name shall be mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

He's right. Should be nowhere near a pizza

pauldla wrote: »
    He of little faith, that is turned at the first sign of difficulty. Obviously he was never a TRUE Antipineappler. His name shall be mud.

Well, that's probably easier to pronounce than his actual name, which is Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well, that's probably easier to pronounce than his actual name, which is Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson.

Thorlacius! That's a great name. I might name my next child Thorlacius, if only to hear my wife call 'Thorlacius! Come in for your supper!'

It's actually an Icelandic surname, which makes it a rare thing, since most Icelanders don't have surnames. (It's not a surname for Guðni; it was his mother's surname, and it was given to him as a second forename.)

It's an adjectival form; the word thorlacius means pertaining to, or having to do with, Thorlakur or Thorlak. Thorlak is the patron saint of Iceland. (I bet you didn't even know Iceland had a patron saint.) He was a twelth-century bishop who is the subject of his own saga, rather unimaginatively named the Saga of Saint Thorlak, which recounts his impressively ascetic life, his high moral principles and his many improbable miracles. His feast day falls on 23 December and is traditionally marked by eating air-dried salted skate which, believe me, is pretty disgusting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/president-iceland-gudni-th-picks-a-dominos-pizza-his-way-home-work

The topping is not stated.

Imagine the outcry if he was found to be leading a secretive pineapple-on-pizza lifestyle.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's great when it's a slow enough news day that this story can become a Thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Iceman now advocates replacing pineapple with fish.
    He then moves on to suggest people put seafood on their pizza. While that does not sound all that controversial (shellfish is considered a legitimate pizza topping), Guðni uses the word "fiskmeti" in the Icelandic version of his post, which translates as fish-products, rather than seafood. "For pizzas, I recommend seafood."
    This is getting better.
    Recently when I asked the local pizza guy why anchovies weren't on the menu anymore, he replied "Because nobody wants them".
    Needless to say, I've been boycotting the heretical establishment since.

• Advertisement

His feast day falls on 23 December and is traditionally marked by eating air-dried salted skate which..
    Never tried it, but it sounds like it would be thorlicious on a pizza.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recedite wrote: »
    Recently when I asked the local pizza guy why anchovies weren't on the menu anymore, he replied "Because nobody wants them".
    Needless to say, I've been boycotting the heretical establishment since.
    jeez, talk about shooting the messenger.

recedite wrote: »
    Never tried it, but it sounds like it would be thorlicious on a pizza.
    "Thorlicious" sounds like a portmanteau word of "sore" and "delicious" spoken by an elderly crone with no teeth.

It could be the basis for a tasteless dirty joke, but I refrain. There may be impressionable children reading this thread.

"Thorlicious" sounds like a portmanteau word of "sore" and "delicious" spoken by an elderly crone with no teeth.
    Yeah, or spoken with a bit of whistling noise at the start, it would be the perfect catchphrase for Herbert the Pervert....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Folks, we need to stop this petty bickering amongst ourselves and team up to stop the real criminals - the monsters who would do this:

IMG_5163.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

kylith wrote: »
    Folks, we need to stop this petty bickering amongst ourselves and team up to stop the real criminals - the monsters who would do this:

IMG_5163.JPG

There are some savages in the world. I will go grab my pitchfork this needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DK-H3MzwHn4/TiPMqB7YxvI/AAAAAAAAAEY/fZSaTuPqo1g/s1600/IMG_5163.JPG

You did it didn't you to try to provoke a reaction among these non violent civil folk?:(
    mohawk wrote: »
    There are some savages in the world. I will go grab my pitchfork this needs to be dealt with.

It has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

IMG_5163.JPG

omm nommm

Bananas? this is the action of a totally deranged fruitcake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

I also have it on good authority that he is to outlaw the "carvery lunch" from all Icelandic restaurants.
    There weren't actually any carvery lunches in Iceland but he has struck pre-emptively.

Advertisement