Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeKit in Ireland

Options
  • 21-02-2017 6:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all;

I've been thinking of dipping my toe in the water of smart home / home automation and as myself and the wife both have iPhones and iPads I reckoned it made the most sense to go with HomeKit-supported devices (does no harm that they seem to have some level of security standards in place).

However so far I'm finding it very hard to find much available for the Irish market beyond a few thermostats and Philips Hue light bulbs.

Has anyone gotten any HomeKit... err.. kit beyond that? Any recommendations? (Ideally something that doesn't cost a small fortune too!)

I'd really like to get something like a smart light switch (rather than going the bulb route) but don't anything like that available in Ireland/UK. If anyone knows of anything like that would love to hear about it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Will do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I have two rooms wired up with HomeKit, all through switches. I've a mixture of Wemo switches with homebridge, and the genuine HomeKit Elgato Eve Energy switches. It's a good setup and works well, even across two devices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Zcott wrote: »
    I have two rooms wired up with HomeKit, all through switches. I've a mixture of Wemo switches with homebridge, and the genuine HomeKit Elgato Eve Energy switches. It's a good setup and works well, even across two devices.

Is the Eve Energy the wall plug or the light switch (I know they do a light switch but I've only seen it for North America at the minute).

How did you find the setup of Homebridge... any major hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

flogen wrote: »
    Is the Eve Energy the wall plug or the light switch (I know they do a light switch but I've only seen it for North America at the minute).

How did you find the setup of Homebridge... any major hassle?

It's the wall switch, and I picked it up from the Apple Store in Belfast. A bit slower than the Wemo ones but still good.

Homebridge wasn't too bad even for a complete novice like me - I can help out a bit if needs be :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement