Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorized direct debit taken from my account

Options
  • 21-02-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Long story but gave my ex permission to use my bank account number to set up broadband/tv package with company. He was switching banks and was going to supply them with new bank account number a few days later. Spoke with customer service agent and was told twice that no money would be taken from my account. I asked a number of times and wanted to be clear on the matter.

Turns out the company were unable to offer broadband in his location so no contract was signed or entered into. Month later direct debit goes out of my account for €16.43 - strange amount and nowhere near the monthly fee. I have emailed the company and asked them to investigate as the customer service agent specifically stated twice that no money would be taken from my account. I have asked them to review the transcript of the conversation and explain their actions but just looking for advice on how to proceed or who to complain them to?

Also lesson learned - will never give my bank account number out to anyone :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Until we know what the deduction was, and why, it's nearly impossible to advise anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Sounds like a pro rata charge for something, eg, broadband may not have been available but the landline may have been activated in order to see what broadband was/wasn't available. Do a charge back if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Is it not illegal for them to take money out of an account without permission after explicitly stating that they would not deduct any money?

Not if that was the account that your ex set up to pay the bills with, no, afraid not. Immoral, but not illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've given very few details but my guess would be that the agent meant that no money would be taken from your account on the understanding that a new account would take its place before payment was due. You've said yourself that it was a month later before the money came out. If they're owed the money, it has to come from somewhere.

My advice is to make sure the tv/broadband account is closed and get the 16 quid off your ex, or just write it off.

[You might also be in an odd position if you're not the account holder, so technically they shouldn't deal with you, only the account holder.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

This makes no sense as the company would know immediately from the address that broadband was not available in the area. Why go looking for a bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Ring your bank. Tell them that you have not authorised this Direct Debit, and under SEPA rules wish for the DD to be rejected and for you to be refunded.

Ring the service provider and tell them they have taken money from your account and that you instructed them not to. Tell them you have advised your bank to reject that DD.

As I understand it, you are not a party to the contract with the service provider, so it would seem unusual that the service provider has accepted your bank details for the account.

Now question is, do you have any other contracts with them? Or might want to in the future? If no to both, then ask your bank to reject any DDs from the service provider (stops them sending another one for the 16eur +reject fees + next months).

cml387 wrote: »
    This makes no sense as the company would know immediately from the address that broadband was not available in the area. Why go looking for a bank account?

Not technically true, if there was no line there or a dormant line they wouldn't know until they tried to provision.

You've given very few details but my guess would be that the agent meant that no money would be taken from your account on the understanding that a new account would take its place before payment was due. You've said yourself that it was a month later before the money came out. If they're owed the money, it has to come from somewhere.

My advice is to make sure the tv/broadband account is closed and get the 16 quid off your ex, or just write it off.

[You might also be in an odd position if you're not the account holder, so technically they shouldn't deal with you, only the account holder.]

You are correct - my ex was to provide a new bank acc number but before he could do this he was told that they were unable to provide the service in the area so could not go any further. So technically the account was never activated. No mention was made of any fees outstanding. They never went to his house just checked remotely if broadband was available in his area which it wasn't so really no work was done.

daheff wrote: »
    Ring your bank. Tell them that you have not authorised this Direct Debit, and under SEPA rules wish for the DD to be rejected and for you to be refunded.

Ring the service provider and tell them they have taken money from your account and that you instructed them not to. Tell them you have advised your bank to reject that DD.

As I understand it, you are not a party to the contract with the service provider, so it would seem unusual that the service provider has accepted your bank details for the account.

Now question is, do you have any other contracts with them? Or might want to in the future? If no to both, then ask your bank to reject any DDs from the service provider (stops them sending another one for the 16eur +reject fees + next months).

I stopped the direct debit and got the money refunded. I do not have any other accounts with them. I have emailed the service provider (after spending a long time on hold to their customer service and hanging up) asking them to look into the matter; am waiting for their reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

1moreyr wrote: »
    I stopped the direct debit and got the money refunded. I do not have any other accounts with them. I have emailed the service provider (after spending a long time on hold to their customer service and hanging up) asking them to look into the matter; am waiting for their reply :)

Keep an eye on your account. It is possible for the provider to set up another DD unless you specifically blacklisted them with your bank.

(It's a complete abuse of the system, but it's possible as the bank will take their word that you've authorised the DD. Happened me before, 3 months after I'd stopped a DD payments started going out again under a new DD #)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you agreed to a Direct Debit, you agreed to money being taken from the account. All you got from the agent was spiel. I'd suggest using the talk to forum and it'll get sorted for you. The company you're almost certainly talking about has a very odd system in relation to broadband provisioning and would almost never know if a line was available until their TV service goes in. To be fair to that company they're very quick to refund where ever there has been an 'misunderstandings'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

http://josephharkins.com/sepa-direct-debit-refund/

disclaimer: this is my website, but I make no money in any way from it

Advertisement