Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike computer repair in Dublin

Options
  • 21-02-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a Bryton Rider 35 (the cheap Garmins!) and the USB connection has come loose. Once connected, the unit no longer charges and cannot connect to the PC.

I've emailed Bryton before and got no response. I've just sent them another but am looking for more options.

Let me know if you think anywhere in Dublin could fix this.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

When and where did you buy it? It could be a case of you send it back from where it was bought and they do the rest.

Button are easiest to contact via Facebook but repairs are done in Taiwan

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Bought in FitzCycles about 5 years ago. I don't think they stock them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Try a phone shop but i doubt it's a servicable item.

I'd say the waterproof seal will be broken once they open it. If they can.

If you plan on binning it send it me I might be able to salvage it and return it to you but that'd be last resort.

So after two emails to Bryton, I still have not received a reply. Shocking service and I'd recommend anyone to spend a little more on a garmin everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think you did well to get 5 years out of it. Those usb connections just dont like our wet weather. I've had similar problems with garmin btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Same problem here with a garmin, and despite several e-mails and no joy I downloaded an app and bought a phone mount. I suspect they wanted me to invest in a new one but I didn't take the bait :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think you did well to get 5 years out of it. Those usb connections just dont like our wet weather. I've had similar problems with garmin btw.

Same, I hand dry mine with some tissue paper around the port before uploading after a rainy spin. You really think for a device like this they's use inductive charging, as the unit will get fried if the USB connection is damp when plugged in.

smacl wrote: »
    Same, I hand dry mine with some tissue paper around the port before uploading after a rainy spin. You really think for a device like this they's use inductive charging, as the unit will get fried if the USB connection is damp when plugged in.

Has anyone made one with conductive charging yet? Didn't see any on a quick google search

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Euppy wrote: »
    Has anyone made one with conductive charging yet? Didn't see any on a quick google search

A unit that didn't break after it had been out in the wet? Not exactly in the manufacturers best interests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Euppy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've got a Bryton Rider 35 (the cheap Garmins!) and the USB connection has come loose. Once connected, the unit no longer charges and cannot connect to the PC.

I've emailed Bryton before and got no response. I've just sent them another but am looking for more options.

Let me know if you think anywhere in Dublin could fix this.

Thanks

Try bring it into a phone repair shop, usb ports are dirt cheap and really easy to replace.
    As for the unit being waterproof all it needs is marine silicon around the seal before they seal it up.
    The coductive charging circuit would still require you to plug into your computer to upload

• Advertisement
Advertisement