Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furnishing council house

Options
  • 21-02-2017 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I have been giving a council house unfurnished I don't mind sleeping on the floor but I'm wondering would I get a grant for the kids for beds and wardrobes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

You may get a grant if you are on a social welfare payment. Get onto your CWO and ask them.

Adverts and Jumbletown have great free/ cheap furniture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You may get a grant if you are on a social welfare payment. Get onto your CWO and ask them.

Also try 'Freecycle' its an excellent way of furnishing your home on a low/non-existent budget. The only cost involved normally- is collecting the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

I'm on disability

Ring your CWO in the morning and ask. It won't be enough to buy everything new but will give you a start. Check out all the websites recommended though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- it is not acceptable to attack the poster in this (or any other thread).
    If you do not have pertinent information to impart to the OP (original post/poster)- do not post in this thread.

Any further off-topic posting- or attacks on the original poster- will result in further bans (there has been 1 ban thus far- along with 3 infractions and 1 warning).

First and final warning- cop on, read the charter governing posting in this forum- and if in doubt- ask a moderator for guidance.

If you disagree with what a poster posts- refute the post- without attacking the poster. Its not rocket science.

Regards-

The_Conductor

• Advertisement

A lot of times when a person is offered a council property, they go from an offer letter to getting the keys in a matter of weeks. Most people I know would have gone through the process in around two weeks. After waiting years, a lot of people don't expect such a quick turnaround so are not prepared. Some properties are also given furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Are you referring to the Exceptional needs payment?

I would be very surprised if this poster is entitled to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

anewme wrote: »

Why not? If they have a council house and no income means other than disability then the CWO would likely help out.

SVP would also help.

anewme wrote: »

There is money available from the CWO. It probably comes through as Exceptional Needs. I not sure but I am sure that grants are available for moving into a council house when on some social welfare payments.

<mod snip>

I work with people who get council properties and recieve CWO payments for this frequently. Not many people, working or not, can afford to get a house floored, buy beds, pots and pans etc. with a few weeks notice.

The state provides subsidised housing for those in need. The OP has a disability and has clearly been assessed as being in need. <mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The poster can get a household furnishing grant but they are limited to what they will be given usually the cwo will ask for several quotes on white goods and possibly some flooring but they won't give money to fit out the whole house

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

Congrats on getting a house, yes contact your cwo and you will get something towards the house. My best friend is on disability and she got 1400 about 2 years ago she has 2 kids. I can't see that things have changed dramatically since then. Good luck with the house
    All you need is 2 quotes from dif shops
    U will get something towards a bed for each child and you a locker a wardrobe and flooring , also maybe a fridge,cooker and washing machine
    My friend got hers in 2 cheques she ended up buying her white goods off done deal for half nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

, also maybe a fridge,cooker and washing machine

By law you have to have a 4 ring hob, a fridge and access to laundry facilities in rental properties. Have councils decided rental standards don't apply to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

newacc2015 wrote: »
    By law you have to have a 4 ring hob, a fridge and access to laundry facilities in rental properties. Have councils decided rental standards don't apply to them?

Don't think social housing comes under the legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

newacc2015 wrote: »

No they will def give money towards it. Just in my friends case she got about 400 for all 3. That came in the first cheque. She bought a washing machine for 100 on done deal . No idea what she paid for the fridge or cooker but she had change left over so she put that into kitchen utensils etc

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

try some of the free / recycling websites
    they're great

www.jumbletown.ie

www.freetradeireland.ie

www.freecycle.org

also www.adverts.ie and www.donedeal.ie are great for second hand goods

best of luck and hope you and the kids are happy in your new home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Hi OP where are you based? I have a 3 seater and 2 couch in great condition that we were going to sell in but happy to give it to you depending on location. Pm if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Try first
    - your family
    - the father(s) of your children
    - the fathers family

Free giveaways on adverts.ie - do an advanced search for free

The Friends of Autism & ADHD furniture shop in balbriggan sells cheap second hand good quality furniture, as does the Sue Ryder shop in Amuens St, and the oxfam furniture shop up the back of Capel St.

nCBI charity shop also sells second hand furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Probably too short notice, but if you're anywhere around North/South Dublin and have the place already, one of my customers may want to get rid of the following excess furniture. I was going to try give it all away as I hate see things go to waste, especially when there's people who need what's being wasted, but I can't store it so need it gone as soon as it's put in my van pretty much.

Rp77PW1.jpg

cormie wrote: »
    Probably too short notice, but if you're anywhere around North/South Dublin and have the place already, one of my customers may want to get rid of the following excess furniture. I was going to try give it all away as I hate see things go to waste, especially when there's people who need what's being wasted, but I can't store it so need it gone as soon as it's put in my van pretty much.

Rp77PW1.jpg

Sorry I'm in Wexford

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Hi OP where are you based? I have a 3 seater and 2 couch in great condition that we were going to sell in but happy to give it to you depending on location. Pm if you wish.

I'm in Wexford thank you ,I have no transport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I'm in Wexford thank you ,I have no transport

I'm in Dublin unfortunately, I doubt it'll got in my brothers Van as it's quite small but if it does I'd drive it down for you. Leave it with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP you have gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. Unfortunately some posters are turning it into a time sink for the moderation team so it's time to close the thread. Best of luck

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement