Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etci regs

Options
  • 21-02-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering does anyone know when the next electrical regs will be out or what's the craic. Don't know whether to buy one now or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is there a new one on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Is there a new one on the way.

Im not sure when i was doin the testing and verication course the trainer said he thought there was

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no mention of this on the ETCI website.
    I haven't heard anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

2011 wrote: »
    There is no mention of this on the ETCI website.
    I haven't heard anything either.

Etci closing in march they just released online. Wonder whats craic then

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jasushaw wrote: »
    Etci closing in march they just released online. Wonder whats craic then

Holidays perhaps?
    They all work on a voluntary basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

TO all ETCI Council and Technical Committee members:

Below is an update of the major events and issues that have impacted on ETCI CLG during 2016 and early 2017.

CER 14/790 Decision Impact on ETCI: The CER decision paper (14/790) December 2014, as implemented during 2016, has seriously affected ETCI’s future, because:
    1. Since 1st June 2016, ETCI could no longer sell its Certificates, as the Electrical Safety Supervisory Body (ESSB), RECI, is now licenced to print its own certificates, thus depriving ETCI of more than two thirds of its income. ETCI is now running a deficit and cannot continue to trade for very much longer.
    2. ETCI’s Technical Committees (TCs) are being reformed under NSAI, where a new Electro-Technical Committee (ETC) is being put in place. All our existing Council Members have been invited to participate in this new NSAI ETC. Some have already indicated that they will accept the NSAI invitation.
    3. While the 2014 Decision stated that a fixed sum would be provided annually to allow ETCI to carry out its activities, no such ‘fixed sum’ is being or will be made available to ETCI, as both the CER and NSAI have refused to financially support ETCI CLG as presently constituted. They are instead funding the new ETC in NSAI.
    4. With the TCs now operating under NSAI, all ETCI’s publications are being made available to these TCs to enable them to update the various publications to the next editions as needed. Our industry needs these publications, in particular the National Rules (ET101, ET103, ET105) and it is only the TCs that will have the expertise to update these in accordance with the latest European (CENELEC) and International (IEC) developments. Furthermore, ETCI will ensure that the present editions of all publications will remain available for sale in the medium term.
    5. Our staff were given redundancy notice, which expired on 20th January 2017. ETCI will continue to sell its publications (ET101, etc.) until March 2017, and if possible make arrangements to ensure that the existing stock of publications would be available thereafter to the industry. I would like to thank Orla and Val who have been very supportive throughout the whole process, despite over two years of uncertainty, which has culminated in the loss of their jobs.
    6. ETCI gave an undertaking back in 2011 (as noted in the Audited Accounts for 2011) to make good the reductions (that staff and consultants had accepted since 2009) from future profits or from the assets of the company on a winding up scenario. ETCI honoured that undertaking during 2016 to all who gave of their time and expertise to keep ETCI going throughout the recession.
    7. ETCI has been taking independent external professional advice with regard to any possible tax issues with Revenue and have acted on this advice to ensure that there are no taxes outstanding and that ETCI will have honoured all of its obligations.
    8. It costs approximately €16,000 per annum to service ETCI’s office (Unit H12, Centrepoint Business Park, Oak Drive, D12). Income from the sale of our existing stock of publications is diminishing and will not last beyond the first quarter of 2017.
    ETCI CLG cannot therefore continue as is and already does not have the means to either carry on its traditional activities or to fulfil its Mission Statement ([font=Tahoma, sans-serif]"To provide the representative voice of the Irish Electrical Industry on technical matters relating to safety and standards both in National and International Forums."[/font]). The Board of Directors see no reason therefore for ETCI to continue and, as a consequence, it is now (unfortunately) an appropriate course of action to wind up the company, sell the office and distribute whatever assets remain as best supports the electro-technical industry. The Board of Directors have approved the sale of the building and this is now in hand.
    I will not be able to continue as ETCI Chairman beyond March 2017, as I have other work commitments.
    Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your continued support and dedication to ETCI CLG over many years and wish you all well for the future.

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Adrian Harney, Chairman, ETCI CLG.[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS, cursive]February 2017.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Above taken from ETCI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Wow, can't say I could have seen that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Well it's been coming since the CER took away their funding last year, but it's a shame.

Lots of very dedicated people gave their expertise and time freely on TC2 and the other TC's over the years.

Now we will have to wait and see what the NSAI sets up, I'm guessing it won't be as good, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Part of me says good riddance to them, hopefully the next crowd will introduce a sensible approach with a code of practice available to all and not just those, including rafter monkeys, that are in the 'club'.

There are plenty of us that can outperform the domestic guys, no offence intended there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement