Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House viewing- what to look for

Options
  • 21-02-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm viewing a house this week that my other half has viewed and really taken to.

Any tips or suggestions on what to specifically look for?

I'll be going alone with the agent.

It's a 1960 2 storey in a rural location on approx 1 1/2 acre

Any tips gladly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

See what condition the roof is in.
    Check around the house for any evidence of subsidence.
    Check the condition of the windows.
    Have a look for BER cert, it's likely house will be D at best, will give an indication of how much heat will need to be generated to heat it as is.
    House may need to be rewired, replumbed and/or new heating system involved.
    Check the house on http://www.floodmaps.ie/ to see if the area is prone to flooding...unlikely in a house in the 60's as they had sense not to build on flood planes back then.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What exactly are you looking for here? There's lots of "what to look for when buying a house" lists on the net. Is there anything about this house that has you thinking?

Assuming there's nothing glaring about to house (poorly kept, visually off-putting etc), are there any extensions? This could open up a whole load of new questions if there are.

Justify its ber. If it's low, look for reasons why (is a 1960s house so it's never going to be great). Windows, boiler, doors etc. Not cheap if you'd plan on changing them.

These might be pointless if the house is actually in decent condition though. Bit more detail please

FYI, http://suncalc.net is always fun to see. Check out the position of the sun at different times of day and year. Interesting if you're fancying some summer BBQs and then you find out the house blocks the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Easttoeastish

FYI, http://suncalc.net is always fun to see. Check out the position of the sun at different times of day and year. Interesting if you're fancying some summer BBQs and then you find out the house blocks the sun.

Thanks for this. Very handy.

I suppose I'm just looking for feedback, pitfalls that others experienced or anything that is in your current house that you wished you'd noticed or researched more?

It's in definite need of new windows and insulation but without an engineer how can I check for electric and plumbing etc

It's in definite need of new windows and insulation but without an engineer how can I check for electric and plumbing etc

I doubt an engineer will get you much detail around electrics and plumbing. Check the fuse box I guess, does it look old or recently changed (within the last 20 years not span new). Are the electrical fittings from the 60s?

Radiators and the boiler might give you some indication of how the heating system is. I actually got a few gas bills off the EA from our place we bought, just to get an idea what's it cost to heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My uncle who is a builder recommends opening and closing all the doors. I think it's evidence of subsidence vs stable foundations maybe. Anyway if the doors are sticking something could be up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Check the boiler (if there is one) - age/condition/service record. Get up into the attic if possible - see the roof from the inside/insulation.

Look at ceilings for damp/leaks.

Look at the fuse box - can be an indicator of how old the wiring is . Turn on all taps - to see water pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

floodmaps.ie only shows historical flooding.

you should also check  http://maps.opw.ie/floodplans/fhr_map/en/?X=-723905&Y=7033579&Z=11 for the current flood maps showing 100/1000 year flood zones.

See what condition the roof is in.
    Check around the house for any evidence of subsidence.
    Check the condition of the windows.
    Have a look for BER cert, it's likely house will be D at best, will give an indication of how much heat will need to be generated to heat it as is.
    House may need to be rewired, replumbed and/or new heating system involved.
    Check the house on http://www.floodmaps.ie/ to see if the area is prone to flooding...unlikely in a house in the 60's as they had sense not to build on flood planes back then.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Turn on the heat and check all rads.
    Flush toilets and runntaps and listen for noises. Let them run for a shrlort while.
    Lift shores/manholes and look for evidence if damage or blockages.
    Look for damp or mildew in quiet of corners of rooms, possibly covered over, for evidence of damage being recently covered by paint.
    Look at the windows. Any gaps between them and the wall or between panels? Is it single/double/triple glazed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

There are a few things you can check before you go -

Check out the local council website, most have online planning inquiry systems that will show you planning info for the last few years plus you can check for any any that are starting nearby. If there is any recent extensions without planning then it may be an issue. you can also visit the office if planning is not online, pretty painless process.

Check landsdirect.ie to ensure ALL the land is on the registry of deeds. if not it will be on the land registry so will cost more to register. This may also show rights of way if there are any. you can view historical maps and overhead photos.

Google earth street view may give you a view of the property so you can see what it looked like a few years ago.

walk the boundary of the property and look over ditches to see what is neighboring you.

Visit the neighbors! worst case scenario they wont talk to you :), best case they will tell you the history of the property and at least you will know someone if you do buy. nothing to loose.

As above open all doors and windows and give them a good bang. Have a run around upstairs while your partner is down stairs, it will let you know how noisy the house is.

Turn on the heating when you arrive, or ask the agent to turn it on before you arrive so you can check that all rads get hot.

Don't believe anything the estate agent says :D we were told soo many porkies during viewings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As noted above - keep a nose out for fresh paint smells, they may be trying to cover mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Boardsie, rural area, - connect to the wifi and run a speed test!!! I know of houses a few hundred metres apart with vastly different speeds, one OK, one unusable. Check your phone signal too.

Have a look at what's around you, is there cattle? Is there big sheds that might be noisy? I grew up beside a big shed that was noisy every Saturday morning.

Check the septic tank if there is one, is there a smell outside it?

The fresh water in the tap, taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Easttoeastish

Had the viewing but the seller was there the whole time. They want to be completely involved in the sale. It made for a very uncomfortable viewing. I could be more than interested in a 2nd viewing but if the owner is there I think I'll justleave it. There's no way I could view it properly with her standing right beside me. Very strange set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Had the viewing but the seller was there the whole time. They want to be completely involved in the sale. It made for a very uncomfortable viewing. I could be more than interested in a 2nd viewing but if the owner is there I think I'll justleave it. There's no way I could view it properly with her standing right beside me. Very strange set up.

Just say to the agent that you'd prefer to not have the owner there at the next viewing. It's a dated (1960s) property in rural Ireland. I doubt they have their pick of buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Staplor wrote: »
    Boardsie, rural area, - connect to the wifi and run a speed test!!! I know of houses a few hundred metres apart with vastly different speeds, one OK, one unusable. Check your phone signal too.

That would be testing wifi speed, which is not the same as internet speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

srsly78 wrote: »
    That would be testing wifi speed, which is not the same as internet speed.

Wow, OK, bring a laptop and an Ethernet cable and run a speed test. Better still a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a 1960 2 storey in a rural location on approx 1 1/2 acre
    Is it linked to a community waste pipe, or is a sceptic tank used? If the latter, where is it, and can it be easily accessed?

Look for mould, or if one wall is more freshly painted than the other (to hide said mould).

Check the attic for dry rot. Is it thatched? Check if it's protected if it is; some government agency made a load of thatched houses protected a few decades back. This will stop any extensions, etc.

Bring a thermos flask. Take a bottle of water from the tap, and have it tested.
    Had the viewing but the seller was there the whole time. They want to be completely involved in the sale.
    Write down the entire experience, and read over it. Look for anything that you feel that she may have avoided, or steered you away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Watch out for open windows this time of the year could be hiding something.

Look at the driveway.. is there a slope down into front door. Bring wellies and walk the garden.. . If lots of loss etc it's a sign it's waterlogged.. . My garden takes ages to dry and it's a no go in winter.. house was for sale in summer.

Open all windows and doors. Check the heights of kitchen units... do they seem too low.. . We viewed a house that sloped down unnaturally towards the kitchen window.

Ask neighbours about flooding. Look at the drain system. Look at eavesrunners to see if water us going where it should.

Walk upstairs while someone else is downstairs to listen for noises etc

Tell your estate agent no to the tour guide from home owner. If she wants to sell it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

the_syco wrote: »
    Bring a thermos flask. Take a bottle of water from the tap, and have it tested.
    That's a great idea. Where would you get it tested?

Advertisement