Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When mirrors collide

• 21-02-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Complete Mea Culpa - made two lanes where only one exists, albeit where everyone does and took out some poor guys wing mirror. Looked like an 01-Astra/Vectra.

Stopped - in a rather stupid place - details exchanged all that good stuff, many apologies from my side especially as I shook the guy up a bit.

The mirror itself wasn't actually broken, but I had demolished the assembly, although most of it seemed in tact, glass itself wasn't broken, so no 7 years bad luck.

Questions

1. If he decides to claim on my insurance can I avoid losing my NCB by paying the claim myself? I said to him to just call me when he was in with the mechanics I'd pay for it over the phone on my card, but obviously it's his call.

2. Any idea of a rough estimate for a mirror for the above car?

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Scrap yard, €25-€50. If you can butter your toast, you can replace one of these. I would be shocked if it was more than €100 to sort. Second hand would be best, because a new one would be expensive and would look too new.

Ebay will find a replacement easy. Confirm the make/model/year/colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't bother with insurance for a 01 Astra wing mirror.
    Give him a twenty to source one at some breakers and get a receipt for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks guys so if he goes along to a mechanics - probably about €100?

I'll dig out the dash cam later and confirm the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tom85

biko wrote: »
    Give him a twenty to source one at some breakers and get a receipt for the money.

What are you on why should he go out his way looking around scrap yards/phone them for a mirror when he didn't break it .

tom85 wrote: »
    What are you on why should he go out his way looking around scrap yards/phone them for a mirror when he didn't break it .
    Complete Mea Culpa - made two lanes where only one exists, albeit where everyone does and took out some poor guys wing mirror. Looked like an 01-Astra/Vectra.

Stopped - in a rather stupid place - details exchanged all that good stuff, many apologies from my side especially as I shook the guy up a bit.

The mirror itself wasn't actually broken, but I had demolished the assembly, although most of it seemed in tact, glass itself wasn't broken, so no 7 years bad luck.

Read posts first

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    To be honest I doubt most people in his situation would be happy to go around different scrapyards trying to source parts..if I were you I'd be expecting this guy to go to a bodyshop to get a brand new mirror fitted. Same thing happened to me about a year ago on a 2009 Ford Fiesta, it cost around €180 to replace.

If my 16 year old car had a damaged wing mirror, I would hate it to be replaced with a new part. It would look very obviously replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭G-Man

Op... who was stopped , who was moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Replaced the electric wing mirrors on my 09 Vectra for €150 all in after an incident with a scumbag and their foot, and that was including new assembly, motor, heated mirror, and new spraycans of undercoat, primer, and topcoat. You should pick up a used one for that era no bother for much less.

G-Man wrote: »
    Op... who was stopped , who was moving.

Him stopped, me moving, too fast and slightly on the wrong side of the road entirely my fault. Everyone does it - but I can hear me ol'mum in the back of my head! Something about jumping off cliffs!

I'm not for one second blaming this guy but he must have been a wee bit further over than people normally are.

Wouldn't be something that troubles my insurance do you reckon?

Him stopped, me moving, too fast and slightly on the wrong side of the road entirely my fault. Everyone does it - but I can hear me ol'mum in the back of my head! Something about jumping off cliffs!

I'm not for one second blaming this guy but he must have been a wee bit further over than people normally are.

Wouldn't be something that troubles my insurance do you reckon?

It really shouldn't be an insurance job. The excess would likely be more than the value of a brand new replacement fitted.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    It really shouldn't be an insurance job. The excess would likely be more than the value of a brand new replacement fitted.

Thanks for your input Goz and thanks a million to everyone else as well.

Sorry to clarify, could he force it through my insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Went through same 2 months back,offered to buy replacement mirror glass,got it Mick's garage,guys wife was looking for more, wouldn't accept my offer,contacted my insurance,told the story,they advised me to offer to pay half,and other party will have to pay half my damages,told other party, they wouldn't accept that,case now closed,,P.s. Gardai called to both houses, checked both cars details etc,hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

If some guy offered me €20 quid with a smart alec attitude I'd make sure it went through the insurance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This. Explain this to yer man.

Thanks guys, I've step back anyway but hopefully it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Not being funny but that's the worst advice I've seen on this site in a long time, and that's saying something. Can you imagine a lad smashing your wing mirror and then giving you €20 to go to a scrapyard and telling you he wants a receipt? You'd tell the dickhead to keep his money because his insurance would be paying for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If my 16 year old car had a damaged wing mirror, I would hate it to be replaced with a new part. It would look very obviously replaced.

Still with 20 euro and gtfo note I would feel offended ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read posts first

Eh.... maybe you should take your own advice?

Not your ornery onager

Thanks for your input Goz and thanks a million to everyone else as well.

Sorry to clarify, could he force it through my insurance?

Technically, yes. But if that happened, you would just pay the amount back to the insurance. AFAIK, on second thoughts, the excess is not a minimum amount you pay, but rather an "up to" amount if the actual claim is smaller than the excess. Would have to confirm with insurer.
    Esel wrote: »
    Eh.... maybe you should take your own advice?

I took it that the poster was asking why would the OP be going around scrap yards. Easy mistake, as the post wasn't clear. Obviously the OP broke the mirror assembly, so that's what I was replying to. I see what the poster was saying on closer inspection.

Advertisement