Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I do anything with my car?

• 21-02-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭

My car has been a bit of a pain in my neck the last 2 weeks, trying to figure out what to do. The basics:
    Car is a pos 2001 Ford Focus, I've had it since 2010. It's our second car (but my main driver).
    Car's power steering went recently, mechanic advised that the switch needs replacing (€100ish job).
    The other week some idiot decided to get in a fight with my passenger wing mirror in middle of night, made absolute sugar of the glass and housing.
    Decided to get a check to see what else is needed to be done to get through NCT (due April), my brake disks and pads need replacing on front.
    Yesterday afternoon somebody decided to drive through my car to get down our avenue, the drivers doors are all scraped, the bit over the back wheel is well dented, hub cap got ripped off and snapped and the drivers mirror got knocked off.

Based on all of that, I feel the car is ready for the scrapyard and nothing else. Unfortunately the car was insured third party only, so not covered and we've not been able to find out who drove into car yesterday, which sucks.

Is there any point in trying to fix or sell such a car? Is there any value in it for anyone?

Or should I just be trying to find a scrapyard who'll take it away (I assume they won't pay me for it,..)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Really the only value in it is for you... if you want to patch it just enough to to be roadworthy but not "pretty", drive it until something big goes and be putting some money away in the mean time.

Disks pads and 2 mirrors from scrappy shouldn't be big money. Buy you some time to figure out the next move anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How is it faring for rust? Back wheelarches etc?

Either way I'd probably flog it and either buy another cheapie with no damage and fresh test. Or just upgrade.

Advertisement