Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mild stings from weed

Options
  • 21-02-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭

I was pulling a few weeds from a raised bed today, and went for a tiny shoot that looked vaguely like mint (I have catmint planted nearby). I felt a bit of a sting as I pulled it, and now (about 10 hours later) I still have a tingling/stingy feeling in my index and ring finger. I'm not sure if it was the leaf or the stalk that did the stinging.

I'm fairly sure I'm not going to die of it, but I'm intrigued as to what it could have been!

The obvious answer is nettle, but a) I'm near Dublin city centre and have literally never seen a nettle anywhere, let alone in this bed, ever. And b) it was so tiny, I didn't think nettles would sting when they're that small.

Unfortunately it's gone in the bag of weeds so I don't have a picture, but the best description I have is a leaf like mint, but "spikier". And as I say, it was tiny - maybe about an inch across both leaves.

Anyone have any idea what it might have been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll get nettles anywhere and a tiny one carries the same sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sounds exactly like nettle, mint shaped but spikier leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hmmm, maybe it was a nettle after all.

But do nettle stings not give you white lumps where you were stung? (trying to remember back to my childhood here, that's the last time I remember getting stung!)

Hope I'm not incubating a flipping nettle bed where my crocuses failed to bloom this spring :mad:

Note to self - wear gloves next time pulling weeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

There were no marks left last time I was stung by a nettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

seagull wrote: »
    There were no marks left last time I was stung by a nettle.
    Not me but...
    And of course some snoflakes will react more than others. :)
    Stinging%20Nettle-%20cure-rash.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Not me but...
    And of course some snoflakes will react more than others. :)
    Stinging%20Nettle-%20cure-rash.JPG

Yeooowwwwww :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yeooowwwwww :eek:
    He need a dock!

Advertisement