Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imported

Options
  • 21-02-2017 10:02pm

When the insurance asks "Is the car imported"?

Do they mean did I import, or do they mean by anybody?

Are not all cars imported?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

When the insurance asks "Is the car imported"?

Do they mean did I import, or do they mean by anybody?

Are not all cars imported?

Lolz. I hear ya. Last year I told the Nice Lady that Audi doesn't have any factories in Ireland and so all are imported....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They mean did you yourself import it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

biko wrote: »
    They mean did you yourself import it

I don't think they are limiting it to that at all. I'm pretty sure they include previous owners, or the dealer you bought it off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I understand your point but OP cannot be expected to know if the dealer or a previous owner imported the car.
    She/he buys it "as is" with an Irish plate on it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Log book would show previous reg, if different. Is that how they class an import?

• Advertisement

My car was imported from UK in 2003. Insurers always ask, and I always say, yes, but many years ago not by me.

I wonder why is the question there? What is the problem bringing a car from the UK, or North Ireland which is importing from the same country you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

It means

Was car sold new in Ireland ?

If not , was it reregistered N'Irl or Eng-Scot-Wales thus class UK Import

Or reregistered from EU thus Left hand drive

Or Jap Import which normally means it's slightly or completly different body still to Irish Specification car

cplwhisper wrote: »
    It means

Was car sold new in Ireland ?

If not , was it reregistered N'Irl or Eng-Scot-Wales thus class UK Import

Or reregistered from EU thus Left hand drive

Or Jap Import which normally means it's slightly or completly different body still to Irish Specification car

Thanks, but what is the implication for insurance of a car from North Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Would still have higher spec thus why would you go to hassle of paying vrt

Small things that make N'Irl or Uk cars more expensive to fix can be simple key# for replacement door locks if car broken into. DVLA hold that data and charge for the knowledge.

Had my T sport broken into and Toyota I.E. had no access to data. £32 a pop

Can you imagine how many times insurers have to pay for that fee but if you are lucky then the theft claim may not effect your hard earned NCB

Buyers beware on only 40% of insurers here in Ireland is that clause of no effect or no excess is built in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The "car imported" question is deliciously ambiguous and I see O.P.'s point.

My Toyota Corolla was indeed imported too when it arrived brand new in Carroll & Kinsellas.

So, are the insurers referring to my regular Toyota or the "Jap Imports" - that is the information that they really want.

The law would generally say that any ambiguities in meaning would be resolved against the insurer on the basis of the contra proferentem rule. This rule of construction says that any ambiguity will be resolved against the party that drafted the contract / document / wording / question.

However, I would not want to be trying to argue contra proferentem with some insurers. They would probably get around a policyholder who answered the car imported question wrongly in the negative by hitting you with failure to disclose a material fact if you knew it was a "Jap Import".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

User experience would be improved 100% if this question was paraphrased to First country of vehicle registration:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

User experience would be improved 100% if this question was paraphrased to First country of vehicle registration:

There should certainly be less ambiguity with it.

I know there are a few companies that ask "has the car ever been registered outside of Ireland or the UK"

That to me is short, sharp and to the point and leaves no scope for confusion on behalf of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Main reason is if the car is a Japanese import it can generally be robbed really easy as the older models didn't have any immobilizers as Japan has almost zero car crime, insurers don't want to touch these as they are a primary target for thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

@Rod Munch even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rod Munch wrote: »
    There should certainly be less ambiguity with it.

I know there are a few companies that ask "has the car ever been registered outside of Ireland or the UK"

That to me is short, sharp and to the point and leaves no scope for confusion on behalf of the customer.

Scope for confusion: A car could have been first registered here, exported to non-UK country and registered there, then brought back here again (gets old reg. no. back).

Country of first registration is the most clear question,imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There seems to be plenty of questions from insurers, which are not precise like in OP's case.

I was recently filling out insurance quotation online, and after submitting address, they ask: "Are you a home owner?"
    Well, I do and that's how I answered - but the house I live at is not the one I own.
    Next thing (after anwering yes for above), they ask about my house insurance renewal months. No option to skip that.
    What am I supposed to do if I don't have house insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CiniO wrote: »
    There seems to be plenty of questions from insurers, which are not precise like in OP's case.

I was recently filling out insurance quotation online, and after submitting address, they ask: "Are you a home owner?"
    Well, I do and that's how I answered - but the house I live at is not the one I own.
    Next thing (after anwering yes for above), they ask about my house insurance renewal months. No option to skip that.

Its purely for upselling so don't worry about it.

As an aside, you should get house insurance man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    I understand your point but OP cannot be expected to know if the dealer or a previous owner imported the car.
    She/he buys it "as is" with an Irish plate on it.

The VEC will show if it was previously registered elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »

if it asked if you were a property owner or a house owner I could understand. "Homeowner" (usually without a space) is synonymous with "owner occupier".

Advertisement