Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenent not paying rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Before you go to war, go hear their side of it, talk to them there may be more to this than the EA is telling you. You will look really stupid if you go to court and the judge says, have you tried to engage with them. Stop hiding behind the EA and go see them or arrange to go see them with the EA for back up. Then if there is still a problem go legal

A case like this can't be brought to court. In any event there is no obligation to engage with a debtor other than to send a warning letter before issuing proceedings. Judges only want evidence of the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

A case like this can't be brought to court. In any event there is no obligation to engage with a debtor other than to send a warning letter before issuing proceedings. Judges only want evidence of the debt.

I went to house today, spoke with tenent, told everything OK just a small hiccup with rent but will sort it.
    I was told after that I can't do much more now till they miss it again.

Also told not to call again as I can be seen to harras

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

allibastor wrote: »
    I went to house today, spoke with tenent, told everything OK just a small hiccup with rent but will sort it.

Hope it works out from here on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You can leave your termination notice in place. No point in starting again when they miss the next payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it not reset if they pay up.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Does it not reset if they pay up.

It resets if paid before the 14 day notice of arrears, which in itself is crazy as a tenant can be late every month and get away with it as there is no accumulation of notices or anything like that.

I would hope that paying does not reset the notice of termination.

Op I would leave the notice in place and evict them if you can, especially becuse of their cheeky comment about not calling again, and they 7 weeks late with rent they have some neck. I'd want them gone asap if it was my house.

I don't think he can if they keep paying inside the 14 days.

The PRTB wouldn't give any weight to harassment, if they are 7 weeks late and no communication. The PRTB do stand up for LL sometimes.

I don't think he can if they keep paying inside the 14 days.

The PRTB wouldn't give any weight to harassment, if they are 7 weeks late and no communication. The PRTB do stand up for LL sometimes.

I would assume that eviction notice has been issued by now as they are well beyond the 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Because most of us are not scummers, and we live up to our obligations. Its a small minority who let the rest of us down.

We can also see the big picture re what would happen to the rental sector if we all acted the bollox.

Well it's fair to say that when the legislation takes two years to evict non-paying tenants & very little recourse for the LL to recover the rent - the fact that the majority of tenants continue to pay shows that most people are fundamentally decent & don't play the system.
    It's unfortunate that the laws allow those prone to messing to have such a huge negative impact on their landlord.

I would assume that eviction notice has been issued by now as they are well beyond the 14 days.

I'm guessing the LL has been foot dragging on this one.

• Advertisement

The LL has an agent dealing with it, if they haven't issued the eviction notice I'd be looking for compensation from them and no longer availaing of their services (don't know why LL use agents in the first place unless they are out of the country much better dealing with it yourself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op you need to stick to the notice as mentioned above and start the clock.

You or the agents shouldn't have left it so long.

You need to either get them paying again with a proper reason but on your terms where you must inspect the property but I would guess they will not pay and just made the mistake of answering the door.

Put the case to the rtb and get a specialized solicitor to do it right.

Or go to them and pay them to leave.

If you read page 1 you would see all this has been done.

Op you need to stick to the notice as mentioned above and start the clock.

You or the agents shouldn't have left it so long.

You need to either get them paying again with a proper reason but on your terms where you must inspect the property but I would guess they will not pay and just made the mistake of answering the door.

Put the case to the rtb and get a specialized solicitor to do it right.

Or go to them and pay them to leave.

Agents issued14 day notice on 8th Jan.

What do they do with this, go round the house with the heavies??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Agents issued14 day notice on 8th Jan.

What do they do with this, go round the house with the heavies??

Up to you but they will get compensation of around €10k could even be more.

I would still carry on with eviction as they have gone well over 14 days has the eviction noticed been furnished to the tenants of not why not as that should be done 28 days from start of arrears( non payment)

If you read page 1 you would see all this has been done.

I meant about foot dragging in general. Its 7 weeks late, 2 months. Regardless of the tenant saying they will pay it, I would be proceeding on the assumption they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It resets if paid before the 14 day notice of arrears, which in itself is crazy as a tenant can be late every month and get away with it as there is no accumulation of notices or anything like that.

I would hope that paying does not reset the notice of termination.

Op I would leave the notice in place and evict them if you can, especially becuse of their cheeky comment about not calling again, and they 7 weeks late with rent they have some neck. I'd want them gone asap if it was my house.

How was that cheeky? I would react similarly if a ll knocked at the door like that too. Thankful for the rules set down...

Graces7 wrote: »
    How was that cheeky? I would react similarly if a ll knocked at the door like that too. Thankful for the rules set down...

So if you stopped paying rent, and stopped all communication, you would expect someone to call to see if you died, left, or are just over staying.

What would you expect? That if you ignore everything, nothing will happen?

They are 7 weeks late with rent and therefore in no position to be making demands of the LL or crying about their "rights". They are terrible tenants now and any attempt to start pointing out rights rather than grovelling would tell me that they need to be got rid of asap as things will only get worse with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

After that went on then that cheeky comment, I would be doing everything in my power to get rid of them. They're a disgrace.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    After that went on then that cheeky comment, I would be doing everything in my power to get rid of them. They're a disgrace.

Who said the tenants made than comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No he didn't. He said he was told afterwards not to call again. That would imply that he got advice from someone else not to call again, not that the tenants said it at the time.

TBH its not very clear. It could be interpreted either way. Sounds like it was the agent advice to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't think you would react that way Grace if you were 7 weeks late with your rent, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

No he didn't. He said he was told afterwards not to call again. That would imply that he got advice from someone else not to call again, not that the tenants said it at the time.

That's the impression I got from the post as well, although the wording could have been less ambiguous. The tenants are hardly in a position to dictate terms.

In saying that, should the tenants go silent again I would not consider another call in person to be considered harassment by any means if it is the only option to keep communication open.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A small hiccup is being a week or so late. Missing 2 months rent (A 3rd month is on the horizon) is taking the piss. If a tenant moved out and didn't get their deposit back for 7+ weeks, you think they'd be happy with an excuse of "it's just a small hiccup". I'd find it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. They set the tone when they stopped communication.

Maybe if everyone in the country stopped paying rent there'd be new legislation around evicting non-paying tenants?

pilly wrote: »
    I don't think you would react that way Grace if you were 7 weeks late with your rent, would you?

Do not know as I would never be in that state! Probably if I were I would not answer the door.. and the dog would bark if anyone knocked!

Were I fully to blame? Would be very , very defensive indeed and probably refer them back to the agent.

But the rule of peaceful and private enjoyment does still apply which is what was referred to as else harassment. All MUST be in writing to safeguard all parties.

I have had need to remind one ll of that.

A small hiccup is being a week or so late. Missing 2 months rent (A 3rd month is on the horizon) is taking the piss. If a tenant moved out and didn't get their deposit back for 7+ weeks, you think they'd be happy with an excuse of "it's just a small hiccup". I'd find it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. They set the tone when they stopped communication.

Maybe if everyone in the country stopped paying rent there'd be new legislation around evicting non-paying tenants?

Took me eight months once to get the deposit back and that was via an agent.... Just kept the paperwork going all above board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Took me eight months once to get the deposit back and that was via an agent.... Just kept the paperwork going all above board.

Was there a hiccup involved? ::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement