Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenent not paying rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Graces7 wrote: »
    Took me eight months once to get the deposit back and that was via an agent.... Just kept the paperwork going all above board.

You should have called around to the landlords house to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can we get back to addressing the OP and not let the thread get derailed please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi,

No i called to the house and spoke to the tenants. I told the Estate agents this, so they knew it was going on. It was they who said dont call back as the tenants MIGHT go to the RTB saying they are being harassed.

I spoke to the RTB today, they said I would have to lodge a dispute with them, it might take 4-6 weeks to be heard, then actions would be taken based on this up to an including eviction notice, but that this could take a further 6 months to be completed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

allibastor wrote: »
    Hi,

No i called to the house and spoke to the tenants. I told the Estate agents this, so they knew it was going on. It was they who said dont call back as the tenants MIGHT go to the RTB saying they are being harassed.

I spoke to the RTB today, they said I would have to lodge a dispute with them, it might take 4-6 weeks to be heard, then actions would be taken based on this up to an including eviction notice, but that this could take a further 6 months to be completed.

This is so frustrating for you OP and it's the main reason for LL's getting out of the market, no protection whatsoever.

I was watching a programme last week about bad LL's and tenants in the UK and there's an agency over there that advocate for LL's. In fairness it takes them a long time to get tenants out also but they can get high court judgements against them for the arrears and they're a lot more aggressive about pursuing these in the UK.

Hi,

It might take time but it will take even longer if you don't follow it through now and then have to start off again with a 14 day notice of arrears the next time they don't pay.

Personally not paying rent for 7 weeks is bridges totally burned as far as I'd be concerned and I'd want the tenants out. Missing a week or even two could be let slide once but 7 weeks is gone well beyond anything reasonable.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    This is so frustrating for you OP and it's the main reason for LL's getting out of the market, no protection whatsoever.

I was watching a programme last week about bad LL's and tenants in the UK and there's an agency over there that advocate for LL's. In fairness it takes them a long time to get tenants out also but they can get high court judgements against them for the arrears and they're a lot more aggressive about pursuing these in the UK.

The Uk market is a lot quicker to move on evictions and allow you to process these. Over here it takes ages, I have a cousin who once had an eviction served and the couple in the apartment simply didnt answer the door, guards
    said they couldnt/wouldnt force entry.

I dont know what to do, EA had an email today saying rent will be paid, but no time frame on this.

The Uk market is a lot quicker to move on evictions and allow you to process these. Over here it takes ages, I have a cousin who once had an eviction served and the couple in the apartment simply didnt answer the door, guards

I dont know what to do, EA had an email today saying rent will be paid, but no time frame on this.

Agree, they use the sheriff in the UK to enforce court judgements.

I don't know what more you can do to be honest except follow through with eviction notice, court orders etc.

So frustrating I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great. They have been good tenants up till now and probably a sudden set back? I would wait a while and be incredibly merciful.

Ask for a time frame

And yes keep the rules fully in case it does come to an eviction as anything you do against that will delay the process further.

We are nearly at the end of the month and if they get paid monthly?

[/B]

Great. They have been good tenants up till now and probably a sudden set back? I would wait a while and be incredibly merciful.

Ask for a time frame

And yes keep the rules fully in case it does come to an eviction as anything you do against that will delay the process further.

He has already waited 7 weeks, it's time to get rid of them. It's guaranteed to happen again now as they know they will know they can get away with it and paying rentbwipl move down the list of priorities the next time they are short of cash. Particularly on how they have dealt with it, they should have approached the LL about being short of cash rather than go silent, this is another aspect of it that tells me time is up. The op is operating a business not a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He has already waited 7 weeks, it's time to get rid of them. It's guaranteed to happen again now as they know they will know they can get away with it and paying rentbwipl move down the list of priorities the next time they are short of cash. Particularly on how they have dealt with it, they should have approached the LL about being short of cash rather than go silent, this is another aspect of it that tells me time is up. The op is operating a business not a charity.

Not true. Being threatened with eviction and the landlord at the door is hardly "getting away with it."

The best and most successful businesses are those who treat folk well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

[/B]

Not true. Being threatened with eviction and the landlord at the door is hardly "getting away with it."

It goes two ways though.

I've seen businesses fail, indeed many during Celtic Tiger, due to extending credit.

A good tenant is one who pays their rent on time.

Not giving a timeline is just stringing it out further.

I would not wait too long before pushing it on legally OP.

[/B]

After 7 weeks the LL called to the door not a day or even a week after the rent was late. One of the biggest problems business and self employed people have is getting paid. The amount of people who avoid paying their bill is disgraceful and tenants not paying their rent is no different.

As I said being a week or two late having rang the agent/LL on or before the day the rent was due giving a very good reason, possibly with proof of the reason (I.e. A bill from the garage for an expensive fix on the car) could be looked on by a LL as a reason to allow a bit of leeway.

Going into hiding after missing a rent payment and 7 weeks later still on sign of money with an half hearted staremt about "it will be sorted" is just not good enough and I can guarantee you that the best and most successful business are not pushovers who allow their customers to avail of their services without payment. As others have said many successful businesses have gone bust because of customers not paying their bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Agree, they use the sheriff in the UK to enforce court judgements.

I don't know what more you can do to be honest except follow through with eviction notice, court orders etc.

So frustrating I know.
    The Sheriff is used to enforce Court judgements here as well. The whole rigmarole of RTB hearings and then court is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If that were to be of any use they'd have paid up 3wks ago. This is the end of the 2nd payment cycle.

100% get them out.

The Sheriff is used to enforce Court judgements here as well. The whole rigmarole of RTB hearings and then court is a farce.

When's the last time you heard of the sheriff evicting someone though? Very rarely happens anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Sorry OP - they are stringing you along. No more chances. You need to follow through on the eviction process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

When's the last time you heard of the sheriff evicting someone though? Very rarely happens anymore.

Happens frequently. look on Youtube, there are a few examples posted. I knowe a guy who was dragged out of his rented flat by the Sherrif of Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tigersauce

op,please start the process with prtb and eviction notice as soon as possible, you can always cancel.

when the eviction was going to be taking place,the sheriff insisted i employed a private security firm, which was another 4000 so they could provide back up to the sheriff, this firm packed up all my tenants goods, stored them in a unit for 2 weeks, and stayed on the premises for 24 hours.

tigersauce wrote: »
    op,please start the process with prtb and eviction notice as soon as possible, you can always cancel.

when the eviction was going to be taking place,the sheriff insisted i employed a private security firm, which was another 4000 so they could provide back up to the sheriff, this firm packed up all my tenants goods, stored them in a unit for 2 weeks, and stayed on the premises for 24 hours.

And How long did all this take?

I am concerned over the time, any damage then extras building up

4ensic15 wrote:
    Happens frequently. look on Youtube, there are a few examples posted. I knowe a guy who was dragged out of his rented flat by the Sherrif of Dublin last year.

I'll take your word for it. Not something I'd take pleasure in watching.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I'll take your word for it. Not something I'd take pleasure in watching.

Not paying rent is theft. Thieves should be prosecuted and unless there is a good reason not to, they should be jailed. There is too much pussy-footing around in this country. LLs are giving up the business in many cases and the rack renters with 70 to a house see an opportunity. There is a serious lack of joined up thinking regarding this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

OP i recently had two tenants who i would have said before were the best tenants I ever had when I gave them notice that I was selling the property.
    The threats of paying no rent ever again and stringing out the RTB for 2 years and so on, i just couldnt believe it. Then of all people.
    Im getting out of the rental business now because its just terrible to be a landlord nowadays.

Eventually I shifted them after about a month even. They ended up giving me notice and i said you can go early if you want and they did.

I can PM you how I arranged it, put under no circumstances pay a bad tenant to leave. So many are now cottoning on to this and using it to make money off of landlords backs. I even heard stories of people renting 3 or 4 places and stopping paying straight away, demanding money from landlords to move out of each of them.

If you are brave or stupid enough to stay in the rental market then make sure you check the last 3 landlord references thoroughly and charge at least 3 months deposit plus a months rent in advance.

And the first question to ALL of their previous landlords should be have they ever missed or even been late with their rent? Even once? And take a hard line, strike them off the list. You have to, to protect yourself. The RTB wont protect you. Noone will protect you. The government, RTB, rogue tenants are all out to just bleed you dry.

No point asking for a reference from their current landlord at all. Wouldnt you give a great reference for your current tenants to get rid of them yourself. But if they were already gone, then you would be honest with anyone who called you for a reference about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The successful ones also screen out customers and don't waste time trying to do business with people who are bad about paying.

(Do you know people who complain about how hard it is to get a plumber etc? This is usually because the tradespeople around town have gotten to know them )

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tigersauce

"And How long did all this take?

I am concerned over the time, any damage then extras building up"

op, it was the best part of 2 years, to get them out, house was not in good shape afterwards,i have lost approx 30,000 between rent arrears, fees,fixing the house, but it is also the toll it takes on ones health as well doesn't help.

just get the process started, nothing to lose, also you need to keep the pressure on the prtb board.
    Also the prtb board on their site give a list of all judgments with tenants and landlords names.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

76544567 wrote: »
    OP i recently had two tenants who i would have said before were the best tenants I ever had when I gave them notice that I was selling the property.
    The threats of paying no rent ever again and stringing out the RTB for 2 years and so on, i just couldnt believe it. Then of all people.
    Im getting out of the rental business now because its just terrible to be a landlord nowadays.

Eventually I shifted them after about a month even. They ended up giving me notice and i said you can go early if you want and they did.

I can PM you how I arranged it, put under no circumstances pay a bad tenant to leave. So many are now cottoning on to this and using it to make money off of landlords backs. I even heard stories of people renting 3 or 4 places and stopping paying straight away, demanding money from landlords to move out of each of them.

If you are brave or stupid enough to stay in the rental market then make sure you check the last 3 landlord references thoroughly and charge at least 3 months deposit plus a months rent in advance.

And the first question to ALL of their previous landlords should be have they ever missed or even been late with their rent? Even once? And take a hard line, strike them off the list. You have to, to protect yourself. The RTB wont protect you. Noone will protect you. The government, RTB, rogue tenants are all out to just bleed you dry.

No point asking for a reference from their current landlord at all. Wouldnt you give a great reference for your current tenants to get rid of them yourself. But if they were already gone, then you would be honest with anyone who called you for a reference about them.

This is really good advice.

This is really good advice.

Great advise, but in my case this was the first house the family ever rented.

Out of interest, how long does a landlord have to make repairs for, one thing which was asked for in December just before Christmas was to fix the washing machine. I have not done this as the agents said they would sort it, but with the rent issue they have let it slip.
    I was told I should still fix this as its mine and the tenant can also say they over held rent for repairs.
    Is there a timeframe for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A repair like that should have been sorted within a week, two at the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Out of interest, how long does a landlord have to make repairs for, one thing which was asked for in December just before Christmas was to fix the washing machine. I have not done this as the agents said they would sort it, but with the rent issue they have let it slip.
    I was told I should still fix this as its mine and the tenant can also say they over held rent for repairs.

Was this the reason for not paying or did they give you a reason. Did the EA tell you he hadn't sorted washing machine? Leaving a family with out a washing machine since mid december is going to piss them off no end I wouldn't blame them for stopping paying till it's fixed.

You should keep in touch with tennant don't let the EA put you off, he just doesn't want you to know he's not doing is end of the job.

You definitely should get this fixed, if the case goes before the RTB they could use this as an excuse and you've no valid reason not to fix it.

• Advertisement

You definitely should get this fixed, if the case goes before the RTB they could use this as an excuse and you've no valid reason not to fix it.

I plan to, the ea has shown me calls and texts since 4th Jan asking when the tenants are home for work to be done. About nine in total.

Just wondered on a time frame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement