Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing for recessed lighting

Options
  • 21-02-2017 10:14pm

Maybe someone could educate me. I'm getting some renovation work done in my home- some of this work is electrical. I was taken aback at the quote from the building contractor for installing recessed lighting in a bedroom- it's working out at about 100 euro per light.

Other work includes replacing outside lighting, again working out at 80 euro per replacement (wiring is in place and I still have to buy the light myself).

Are these costs massively excessive? I thought by getting a lot of jobs done at once, that i'd keep overall costs down but obviously not.

Any advice? I'll certainly be getting a 2nd quote. No issue paying VAT and whatever the going rates are but this doesn't seem right at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

€100 a light certainly sounds expensive but without further details it would be hard to say. For instance does he have to knock holes in the ceiling to run the wiring and then repair them?
    Regarding the outside lights - If the wiring is already in place a competent electrician should be able to replace the light fitting in a half hour so €80 per point is very nice money if you can get it. This assumes that it's a straight replacement and no rewiring is required.
    On the surface it sound like your builder is having a laugh. Shopping around is the key.

€100 a light certainly sounds expensive but without further details it would be hard to say. For instance does he have to knock holes in the ceiling to run the wiring and then repair them?
    Regarding the outside lights - If the wiring is already in place a competent electrician should be able to replace the light fitting in a half hour so €80 per point is very nice money if you can get it. This assumes that it's a straight replacement and no rewiring is required.
    On the surface it sound like your builder is having a laugh. Shopping around is the key.

Yes, that's what I'm doing now. I think your post has confirmed what I felt mysel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Dublin is your location op?

Advertisement