Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get my salary if I quit?

Options
  • 21-02-2017 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I had to leave my job without notice due to personal issues and am wondering if I'll get my full salary. We didn't have a contract as Ijust started a few weeks back but had mentioned recently I would be leaving in the near future but never finalized my resignation, as there was no rush. I get paid monthly but will have only worked 12/20 days instead of 20. Am I entitled to the rest of my pay? My boss may argue he had to pay my replacement. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You post isn't very clear, are you saying you left without actually telling anyone you were leaving? You just stopped showing up for work?

And are you asking if you should be paid for the days you actually did work, or are you asking if you should be paid for the full month even though you only worked part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Eh no you won't get paid for days you didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You are entitled to payment for 12 days work yes, but unfortunately no contract means no recourse if he doesn't fork out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JennaPhelps

davo10 wrote: »
    You post isn't very clear, are you saying you left without actually telling anyone you were leaving? You just stopped showing up for work?

And are you asking if you should be paid for the days you actually did work, or are you asking if you should be paid for the full month even though you only worked part of it?

I had a personal issue and left during my shift and told them I couldnt come in the rest of the week. I know i ll get paid the 12 days but as they found a replacement (without knowing if Id be back the following week) im entitled to my salary as far as i can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I had a personal issue and left during my shift and told them I couldnt come in the rest of the week. I know i ll get paid the 12 days but as they found a replacement (without knowing if Id be back the following week) im entitled to my salary as far as i can tell

You're entitled to the 12 days you worked. That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JennaPhelps

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You're entitled to the 12 days you worked. That's it.

Is this opinion or fact?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is this opinion or fact?

That's fact. Why would you be entitled to be paid for time you didn't work? The person who they got to replace you and worked the days you didn't will have to be paid, and they're hardly going to pay two people for the same time, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Is this opinion or fact?

Fact.

Why on earth would you be paid for the 8 days you didn't show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Why would you get paid for 8 days you didn't work?

Wether or not they got a replacement doesn't make a difference.

Maybe this is your first job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What do you mean by your "full" salary? If you worked for 12 days in February you should at most be expecting 12/20ths of your salary. I don't see why you'd expect pay for a full month.

• Advertisement

If you are salaried and you 'resign' or quit half way through a month, you will be paid pro rata or for the days you worked and they will deduct any paid holidays you used or any for any sick days depending on their policy.

If that was case, everyone would just quit on day 1 of the new month and get an.extra month of pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is really strange logic! Why do you think you'd be entitled to days you didn't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So you think your employer should pay both you, and the person they had to get in after you left without notice?

Op, getting paid while not at work is termed annual leave payment, this must be accrued. After 12 days of work you would be entitled to annual leave of 8% of hours worked which probably works out about 5-6 hours. I doubt very much they will pay you this considering you left without notice.

Argghh this is one of those threads where we never get closure.

I'm dying to know the outcome. It sounds like she started a job and stormed out after 12 days and sheepishly tried to come back to work but was told no.
    I'd love to know the other side or the info she is omitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is this opinion or fact?

Fact.

What makes you think walking out of work and getting paid for days not worked is a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Argghh this is one of those threads where we never get closure.

I'm dying to know the outcome.

It was a late night post.

Give it time, there's hope yet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I suspect that there where won't be any more posts from the OP because she didn't get her own opinion of what should happen validated.

Advertisement