Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to play Test Cricket in 2018?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    2nd century in the history of Irish test cricket

Alas both are "team" rather than individual efforts!

:)
    Am I delighted KOB made a mockery of my comments!!

Tomorrow has a hell of a lot of potential. Obviously any of 3 different results are possible (think it may be pushing it to see a tie!). If it is muggy and overcast that could make it a difficult batting wicket. Bear in mind the Pakistan batsmen have not exactly covered themselves in glory in the first innings, and if Ireland can gain a bit of momentum knocking over a few quick wickets there's a chance of capitulation. Yes very optimistic, but Ireland have surprised before, and indeed today's turn of events was another very pleasant one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Wow, what a day! Dies anyone know if tomorrow's play will be on the radio?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Skid X wrote: »
    I see www.guerillacricket.com says they have the ball by ball commentary rights for the Test Match.
    There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

colm18 wrote: »
    Wow, what a day! Dies anyone know if tomorrow's play will be on the radio?

Not on broadcast radio but https://www.guerillacricket.com/ are doing good online ball by ball commentary

Also, it's live on Sky Sports Mix tomorrow, which anyone with a Sky or Virgin Media Sub has access to (even if you don't have Sky Sports)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, tempted to ring in sick for work tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Jaysis, tempted to ring in sick for work tomorrow

Tell em you have an appointment at 11 in the morning, if they get a 200 lead, say its dragging on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Now that we are ahead in the match for the 1st time, the BBC are including it on Breakfast sports bulletins. 2 days ago it barely merited a mention on the BBC Sports website as "Ireland collapse against Pakistan" Funny that........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Off the ball last night didn't have it in the main headlines and we're rightly pulled up on it on a text by a listener. You would have thought they would have had a special report on it no matter what way the result was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Surprised that there was no mention of it on the 9pm news on RTE last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Surprised that there was no mention of it on the 9pm news on RTE last night.

RTE a disgrace. Tuned in 11pm to RTE2 to see highlights, instead they had some body image trash TV. This morning on radio, they spent 10 mins discussing an U17 soccer match! 10 sec on Malahide. Then some presenter yesterday thought the gsme was in the Phoenix Park! They haven’t a clue I reckon.

• Advertisement

For anyone who does not believe in miracles:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BarryD2 wrote: »
    RTE a disgrace. Tuned in 11pm to RTE2 to see highlights, instead they had some body image trash TV. This morning on radio, they spent 10 mins discussing an U17 soccer match! 10 sec on Malahide. Then some presenter yesterday thought the gsme was in the Phoenix Park! They haven’t a clue I reckon.

Yep, I noticed that after that body image show thing, the schedule had the highlights. They showed Soccer Republic instead... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

dulpit wrote: »
    Yep, I noticed that after that body image show thing, the schedule had the highlights. They showed Soccer Republic instead... :confused:

Soccer Republic is usually on at 7PM. It was rescheduled due to the U-17 match being shown live which wasn't announced until Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Ah jaysis Kev!

what an innings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Oh no, that’s a bit disappointing. Super knock though.

You kind of felt it was going to happen though.. :(

Something I've always wondered. As I look at this match, the middle of the field has maybe 5 or 6 wickets (pitches?) marked out - what's the story with them? Used for practice?

Stonewall, stonewall - play as long as possible.

Something I've always wondered. As I look at this match, the middle of the field has maybe 5 or 6 wickets (pitches?) marked out - what's the story with them? Used for practice?

The groundsman (staff/ people) will normally have a strip prepared that can be used for a number of wickets. Higher end matches get a wicket cared and prepared for. Club matches get next best and lower X1s get what's left etc. There's a lot of skill in preparing and maintaining a wicket and lot of dark arts etc!

The groundsman (staff/ people) will normally have a strip prepared that can be used for a number of wickets. Higher end matches get a wicket cared and prepared for. Club matches get next best and lower X1s get what's left etc. There's a lot of skill in preparing and maintaining a wicket and lot of dark arts etc!

So essentially the club games use wickets that are off to the side, not right in the centre of field?

Also - 152 ahead now...

Edit: Wicket :-(

• Advertisement

Uphill struggle now you’d think. Gonna need help from above most likely.

So essentially the club games use wickets that are off to the side, not right in the centre of field?

Also - 152 ahead now...

Edit: Wicket :-(

Only guessing but I imagine they can adjust the ropes as required?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

160 the target then

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Only guessing but I imagine they can adjust the ropes as required?

It’s quite common for the pitch to not be centred, with a relatively short boundary on one side and a much longer one on the other.

The pitch and the infield area have very specific specifications, the size of the boundary has basically none as far as I know. EDIT: I looked it up, there are guidelines on the boundary size, but they’re allowed vary quite a bit. The minimum boundary to boundary distance square of the wicket is 150 yards, with the shorter square boundary at least 65 yards, and no boundary may exceed 90 yards.

And Ireland are all out, Pakistan require 160 to win. Possibly a little low, but it may well depend on the weather now too. I’m going to choose to have confidence in our bowlers, let’s go out and get some early wickets!

Conchir wrote: »
    And Ireland are all out, Pakistan require 160 to win. Possibly a little low, but it may well depend on the weather now too. I’m going to choose to have confidence in our bowlers, let’s go out and get some early wickets!

And a lot more that it looked like yesterday. Pity we couldn't hang around a while longer this morning.

And a lot more that it looked like yesterday. Pity we couldn't hang around a while longer this morning.

I was hoping they might get to lunch, but a good few shots were played, I wonder if that was the game plan for the batsmen this morning? Interesting either way.

Jays......game on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Good start

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Boom here we go

• Advertisement

Azhar Ali gone! Pakistan 2-1 in the first over.

Advertisement