Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RNS510 in a MK5 R32, what version?

• 22-02-2017 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Just looking for info.
    I have a 08 Golf R32 and am looking to upgrade from the standard head unit to a 510.
    Seems to be a few different versions out there for wildly varying prices.

Can anyone shed light on what type would be best and would work properly (I've read about battery drain in certain models)

I'm looking for oem as I want it to look stock and have all the original functionality.
    Also advice as to whether it's plug and play or whether it'll need coding aswell.

I've had the experience of fitting a 'cheaper' Chinese 'oem style' unit which didn't stand the test of time so would be wary of those.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MobileAudio

Does it have to be an OE unit ?

A nice double din aftermarket unit from a good brand ( not that Chinese stuff ) will out perform the OE stuff and also be usable in your next car etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

A nice double din aftermarket unit from a good brand ( not that Chinese stuff ) will out perform the OE stuff and also be usable in your next car etc.

I'd prefer OE as I'd like to keep it factory as much as I can. And on a personal level I just like the look of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Any chance you could recommend a brand please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Just after buying one for mk6, there's a bit of coding required if it wasn't in it from the factory. They do vary in price but 400 - 500 should get you one. Aim for the newer ones with the better LED screen. There's plenty of how to's on the dedicated VW forums. Not a difficult task.

Just after buying one for mk6, there's a bit of coding required if it wasn't in it from the factory. They do vary in price but 400 - 500 should get you one. Aim for the newer ones with the better LED screen. There's plenty of how to's on the dedicated VW forums. Not a difficult task.
    One of the main things I was wondering was if it would need coding. Thanks.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Killinator wrote: »
    You're a star :)

If you need any coding done give me a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Killinator wrote: »
    One of the main things I was wondering was if it would need coding. Thanks.

All RNS510 units will need to be decoded. If buying second hand you need to know that this model is also fitted into Skoda cars so the Skoda logo will come up on screen. If you need decoding I can do that for you ....

Both very sound of ye lads.
    I may be in touch soon.
    Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote:
    Both very sound of ye lads. I may be in touch soon. Much appreciated.

In touch, I see what you did there ;) aha

Yes.....I ment that..........

I'm seeing alot of mixed messages elsewhere maybe I can get clarification here.
    Will a Version P RNS510 (LED) work with a 08 golf R32 without the need for a new/upgraded can bus gateway.
    I'm not even 100% on what a can bus gateway is and whether you just programme it or get a new part.

Advertisement