Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog owners heads up.

• 22-02-2017 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just a warning for any dog owners in the Castleconnell area.Some sick cnut left Stricknyne near the footbridge along the nature trail.. a mate of mines dog died today from it..just a heads up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats awful - why the fk do people do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Someone was doing this a couple years back. Some awful sick feckers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Someone was doing this a couple years back. Some awful sick feckers out there.

Been going on at a steady pace as far as I can recall from various articles over the years I've been in Limerick. Mostly out along the canal banks, Ardnacrusha, Clonlara direction IIRC.

Seems UL has been hit before but this article is light on details:
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/10/06/locals-voice-fears-over-clonlara-dog-poisoning-incidents/
    More here.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dogs-poisoned-2988837-Sep2016/

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/10/18/warning-sinister-dog-poisoning-obriens-bridge-loop-walk/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057226058
    TBH if you google dog poison clonlara or ardnacrusha or o briens bridge etc etc you'll find stories going back years and years.

Sick behaviour indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thanks for that. What is wrong with people?

I assume it some militant anti-dog-poop person.

Im sorry for your friends loss - dogs become family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...fed up with dogs "worrying" sheep.

I have a dog myself and I have got used to having one around the house, but some people cannot stand the sight of them.

Poisoning could be picked up by a child....how do people get their hands on poison without there being some way to trace the purchase etc.???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Very easy to get your hands on dangerous poisons - 2 weeks ago I bought flocoumafen under the brand name of Storm Secure to kill some mice/rats in an attic.

Nasty enough stuff and well capable of killing other small animals accidentally or deliberately. You can buy it off the shelf, no record taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

doolox wrote: »
    ...fed up with dogs "worrying" sheep.

I have a dog myself and I have got used to having one around the house, but some people cannot stand the sight of them.

Poisoning could be picked up by a child....how do people get their hands on poison without there being some way to trace the purchase etc.???

dogs don't worry sheep, they kill them and those that survive never thrive and their meat end ups as dog food. Most ewes who survive or witness an attack never come into lamb again.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dog-that-killed-over-50-sheep-in-wexford-shot-dead/

Im not condoning laying of poison, thats barbaric, but insinuating that farmers are only concerned about "worrying" sheep shows a real lack of understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

If you notice all of these poisoning incidents are happening near water, Castleconnell, Clonlara, O'Brien's Bridge, Ardnacrusha, also in these areas is a naturally growing toxic Blue-green Algae (Cyanobacteria) that is highly poisonous to dogs who ingest it. This algae is usually caused by the build up of phosphates from farm effluent and sewage.

This is common throughout the country though not tested and the public are not alerted as much as they should be. It is the main reason why there are restrictions on humans swimming in our inland waterways.

If you notice all of these poisoning incidents are happening near water, Castleconnell, Clonlara, O'Brien's Bridge, Ardnacrusha, also in these areas is a naturally growing toxic Blue-green Algae (Cyanobacteria) that is highly poisonous to dogs who ingest it. This algae is usually caused by the build up of phosphates from farm effluent and sewage.

This is common throughout the country though not tested and the public are not alerted as much as they should be. It is the main reason why there are restrictions on humans swimming in our inland waterways.

Interesting. I would have associated algal bloom with warmer sunny conditions. Is it possible in winter too?

Would more flow through the channels help I wonder? Or is it a matter of reducing certain chemicals or whatever entering the water?

There is mention of sausage meat in some of the stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Algae can grow in virtually any environment that possesses carbon dioxide, sunlight, minerals and sufficient water. We have had a very mild winter, if you can call it a winter at all and although large growths of algae would occur during the summer it continues during the winter too.

I am not dismissing that there might be a$$holes out there who are purposely poisoning dogs but that is a lot of effort for what outcome?! I am just veering towards Occam's razor with this.

Algae can grow both in the water and on rocks nearby pools of water as long as the chemical levels are suitable. So it would be a case of both policing what is poured into the water and increasing the water flow to alleviating the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Parchment wrote: »
    I assume it some militant anti-dog-poop person.

That's my theory too.

I bring my dog and kids there regularly .. it is one of the nicest spots in the Limerick area.

The amount of dog sh*te is a genuine disgrace! It's been like that for years .. if anything it has gotten worse. It has turned into a dogsh*t obstacle course.

The action taken is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

keith_d99 wrote: »
    That's my theory too.

I bring my dog and kids there regularly .. it is one of the nicest spots in the Limerick area.

The amount of dog sh*te is a genuine disgrace! It's been like that for years .. if anything it has gotten worse. It has turned into a dogsh*t obstacle course.

The action taken is horrible.

Even around the village on the way to and from the river walk its a poop obstacle course. I personally make a comment to anyone i see no picking up their dogs sh!t.

So many kids play down around there too - the infection potential is high. Dog poop on the foothpaths is awful but i dont think it warrants killing a dog or potentially a child, as kids love it down around there.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/237079/limerick-vet-s-warning-after-four-dogs-die-from-poison.html

Now, I've hacked lumps out of this just for brevity, click on the link above for the original version.

In a Facebook post, John O’Dwyer said: “Just be careful if walking your dog in the Clonlara / Castleconnell area. There is still someone putting poison down on the public walks there.

“People don’t even see the poison. Two of the dogs were on leads.

We had two of them tested and they came back positive from the laboratory for strychnine and rat poison,” said Mr O’Dwyer.

He stresses that these are not people walking their dogs through farmers’ fields but on public walkways.

I'm happy that riverrocked theory of algae could account for some cases... but if the lab is seeing high doses of strychnine and rat poison...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/237079/limerick-vet-s-warning-after-four-dogs-die-from-poison.html

Now, I've hacked lumps out of this just for brevity, click on the link above for the original version.

In a Facebook post, John O’Dwyer said: “Just be careful if walking your dog in the Clonlara / Castleconnell area. There is still someone putting poison down on the public walks there.

“People don’t even see the poison. Two of the dogs were on leads.

We had two of them tested and they came back positive from the laboratory for strychnine and rat poison,” said Mr O’Dwyer.

He stresses that these are not people walking their dogs through farmers’ fields but on public walkways.

I'm happy that riverrocked theory of algae could account for some cases... but if the lab is seeing high doses of strychnine and rat poison...

Is strychnine easy to come by? Shouldn't something that poisonous be controlled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Could be that an older someone has a decently sized pot of the stuff, from the times before it was regulated. The shelf life of the strychnine poison is effectively forever in a sealed container. I have heard of farmers passing away and their relatives finding large tubs of the stuff in a shed, still viable for killing vermin (the original reason a farmer could purchase and store the stuff).

Advertisement