Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Declaring car off road online after insurance expires

• 22-02-2017 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All,

My insurance ran out at the end of Nov, 2016. The car has been sitting in my drive ever since, however I forgot to declare the car off the road. I'm trying to do it now online but the motor tax.ie site won't allow me to enter an expired insurance date from 2016. As a result, I can't pay the arrears and declare it off the road.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

What ought to happen is you just leave the car clocking up arrears until you have insurance on it again and pay them when you tax the car again.

The online taxing however has no way verifying what info you put in, so if you were to lie :eek: and claim you still had insurance you'd get through the block.

You won't be able to just pay the arrears and SORD - you'll have to tax for 3 months too and then SORD in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Just change the owner when you want it back on the road....then change it back and tax it....no arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SomeDude

Thanks for the advise guys. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If doing a SORD. you must do it before the current disk expires.

you dont need insurance to do a SORD either in person or online.

If its past date, just transfer ownership and the new owner has 21 days to declare. send in a completed RF150 with the log book.

Advertisement