Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Harassment

Options
  • 22-02-2017 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158219099950123&id=830870122

Not sure if that video has been seen here before but it made me think. Do the ladies here suffer from similar unwanted attention?

I'd never have thought they'd get hassle like that but then I always try to treat everyone with respect so just don't think that way.

Just curious really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Crazy stuff! Though at one point they do pass what appears to be a Policeman..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Im no supermodel by any stretch but get beeps, shouts etc out windows, shouts from guys walking. Not all guys let it be said - but it does happen. Summer is worse as i wear shorts/tshirts but it happens regardless!

I hate it but i ignore it as best i can. Sometimes i tell them to f*ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Parchment wrote: »
    Im no supermodel by any stretch but get beeps, shouts etc out windows, shouts from guys walking. Not all guys let it be said - but it does happen. Summer is worse as i wear shorts/tshirts but it happens regardless!

I hate it but i ignore it as best i can. Sometimes i tell them to f*ck off.

Bloody hell, I'm sorry to hear that. You'd never think it was 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

but get beeps, shouts etc out windows, shouts from guys walking.

I get that all that too but I doubt it's lascivious.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I get that all that too but I doubt it's lascivious.

I just snorted my tea out my nose!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've had comments about junk in my trunk in the past. There are muppets out there. Best just to ignore them. At best they are looking for a rise from you at worst it could end in a confrontation

godtabh wrote: »
    I've had comments about junk in my trunk in the past. There are muppets out there. Best just to ignore them. At best they are looking for a rise from you at worst it could end in a confrontation

I'm happy to confront someone if the opportunity presents itself. Most guys when confronted by a woman become helpless little boys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm happy to confront someone if the opportunity presents itself. Most guys when confronted by a woman become helpless little boys.

As a man, and particularly due to my size, I'd never confront any one. You dont know how they will react.

godtabh wrote: »
    As a man, and particularly due to my size, I'd never confront any one. You dont know how they will react.

You dont. But its hard to let some things slide - i like to stand up for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Richard Ballantine has a section in his Bicycle Book about women dealing with harassment.

Unfortunately, hoisting the harassers up by the hind legs and dashing their brains out on the pavement isn't an option.

(He did regret that, for this case only, the UK didn't allow open carry.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've had women pass comment on me when I was out cycling, never like that though. Thankfully :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I know a woman who had her ass slapped by someone in a passing car!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Effects wrote: »
    I know a woman who has her ass slapped by someone in a passing car!

Not sure its a gender thing though. As a bloke I've had a bottle chucked at me once by a passing car and been whacked with a coat-hanger by a passing car on another occasion leaving a deep welt. Luckily very rare isolated incidents, both of which I reported to the Gardaí. If they were more regular I'd probably pick up a bike camera to give the Gardaí more to follow up on. Not a big fan of direct confrontation as the chances of a good outcome aren't great.

A woman getting her ass slapped by a passing motorist while cycling is a serious assault and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What an awful woman, she deserves to be done for criminal damage. The lads arent great, but words dont deserve damage to their property

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What an awful woman, she deserves to be done for criminal damage. The lads arent great, but words dont deserve damage to their property

It wasn't just words. They chased her down, drove past their stopping line into the bike zone, swerved their van towards her when she tried to move away from them, one man starts reaching out to touch her. And that's on top of their verbal abuse. They deserved everything they got.

Hopefully they'll be identified by their reg plate and charged.

Are you for real?? :confused: :eek:

They chased her down, drove past their stopping line, swerved their van towards her when she tried to move away from them, one man starts reaching out to touch her. And that's on top of their verbal abuse. They deserved everything they got.
    Hopefully they'll be identified by their reg plate and charged.

She chased them down to destroy a wing mirror , the video only kicks in at that moment, you're operating under the assumption that these lads just randomly accosted her, in reality she could have cut them off or any other number of bad cycling etiquette to provoke that. Nobody knows what happened before the biker started filming it.

But there is never any circumstance where mean words justify physical violence

She chased them down to destroy a wing mirror , the video only kicks in at that moment, you're operating under the assumption that these lads just randomly accosted her, in reality she could have cut them off or any other number of bad cycling etiquette to provoke that. Nobody knows what happened before the biker started filming it.

Do yourself a favour and watch the entire video!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Crazy stuff! Though at one point they do pass what appears to be a Policeman..

Fair play to her, what a prick

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and watch the entire video!!

The first thing I see in that video is her trying to damage the left wing mirror of the van and the lad responding with cheeky comments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I've had all sorts of fruit flung at me, usually from vans.

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I've had all sorts of fruit flung at me, usually from vans.

Ive had pedestrians fling fruit at me in the car, what is it with people in general throwing fruit at anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ive had pedestrians fling fruit at me in the car, what is it with people in general throwing fruit at anyone.

With an attitude like yours I'm not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I know a woman who had her ass slapped by someone in a passing car!

Used to be common in the 1970s, then random women started wearing cardboard studded with outward-facing thumb tacks inside their jeans and it stopped.
    The first thing I see in that video is her trying to damage the left wing mirror of the van and the lad responding with cheeky comments

No, look closer and you'll see that after they swerved into her bike lane, she's folding in the mirror so she can pass.

The first thing in the video is of a van with 2 or 3 men verbally/sexually harassing a lone female cyclist stopped at lights which then turns into them trying to physically grab her and then using the van to physically harass her also...

Again, watch the video, and this time put the specs on...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

'Cheeky Comments'? Seriously. How are things in 1970?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lame ass trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Watch the very end of the video, she cycles contraflow on a one-way street to make sure the van can't follow her.

CleverGirl_Fullpic_1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

But there is never any circumstance where mean words justify physical violence
    To summaries imaginary "bad cycling etiquette" justifies their reaction but 2/3 grown men together, swerving into a vulnerable road user, attempting to grab her, pretty nasty verbals yet she's the wrong doer for standing up for herself.

Property damage doesn't equate to physical violence.

I've always liked brave people, it is easier when you are big, but when smaller and outnumbered it takes a special mentality.

Advertisement