Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Harassment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wow, I totally believe builder, Scott Deane. Especially when he was interviewed by such a reliable and trustworthy source such as the Sun.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

@dont bother

Don't bother posting on this thread again

Thank you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fake news - has been discredited as such and proven to be created footage and had been caught out due to people seeing them rehearse - (i just read someone posted that already from the sun)...

it's obviously some r3tarded stunt from half-le5b!an feminazis to "raise issues"...

Two contributions in the cycling forum neither of them helpful, don't bother posting here again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@dont bother

Don't bother posting on this thread again

Thank you

Snap

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Effects wrote: »
    Wow, I totally believe builder, Scott Deane. Especially when he was interviewed by such a reliable and trustworthy source such as the Sun.

the guardian any better?

They are not sure yet - but at least they put a little more research into it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/22/why-a-viral-video-of-a-cyclists-revenge-on-catcallers-may-not-be-all-it-seems

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

ozmo wrote: »
    the guardian any better?

They are not sure yet - but at least they put a little more research into it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/22/why-a-viral-video-of-a-cyclists-revenge-on-catcallers-may-not-be-all-it-seems

I've a natural antipathy towards anything quoted in the Sun. And the original source - the builder - comes from them. That said I'm open to this being a set-up. Thanks for the linkage. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

hee hee, yeah, groups of van drivers came forward to say it was faked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I know a woman who had her ass slapped by someone in a passing car!

if i had a euro for this i would have 4 euros!

i mean me being slapped not me slapping young ones!!!! just to be clear

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

rubadub wrote: »
    Impressive how she managed to rip it off so easily!

Regular training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What a bizarre idea for a 'prank'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

TGD wrote: »

Wonder how well it's policed, though. It's probably like smartphones in cars here - on the books so people feel good about their law, but not obeyed or policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Seriously, did no one get the note from your Mammy? "Sticks and stones..."?

Just ignore people catcalling etc etc. I've been mostly embaressed but a little thrilled on the odd occasion a lady has shouted something at me when cycling. (usually a friend of my mrs that I don't recognize at the time :))

The only time I did feel a bit self concious or whatever way you want to describe it, was doing a major sportive and a load of teenagers gave me a lashing about being a bit ould to be dressed like I was etc :D

I would rather they didn't but ffs, talking about criminalizing it, ffs..... proportionality.

I 100% agree, someone touching you is not on but shouting or catcalling etc, be an adult and ignore them.

It's a little different when you're a young woman and there's an edge of threat to all the "friendly" shouting by random strangers, not to mention touching. Walk a mile in another woman's shoes, preferably red stilettos with six-inch heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

What an awful woman, she deserves to be done for criminal damage. The lads arent great, but words dont deserve damage to their property

In your opinion. For many others, yes they do. And far more when they do it to the wrong person. They got off lightly. See this is why you should be nice to people, because you never know with whom you are dealing.

She stood up for herself. Fair play to her. I think she's brave. And she might have saved some others girls form suffering similar or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rumours coming in now that this was staged. Eyewitnesses reported seeing the parties involved in a discussion with a crew beforehand.

Could be somebody like 'Trollstation' perhaps. They're known in London for doing social experiments and public pranks.

Edit: Apologies, I didn't realise this had already been documented on pg 5 of the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Deagol wrote: »

Just ignore people catcalling etc etc. I've been mostly embaressed but a little thrilled on the odd occasion a lady has shouted something at me when cycling.
    i know this post is made with good intentions and all, but the 'arrah, just ignore the harassment and it will go away' attitude makes me despair.

the false equivalence between a man being shouted at a couple of times by a woman over the years and the sort of stuff women have to put up with is insane. my wife decided to take up jogging and gave it up within two weeks. i suspect she got more comments in a week than you'd get in a year, based on your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

i know this post is made with good intentions and all, but the 'arrah, just ignore the harassment and it will go away' attitude makes me despair.

the false equivalence between a man being shouted at a couple of times by a woman over the years and the sort of stuff women have to put up with is insane. my wife decided to take up jogging and gave it up within two weeks. i suspect she got more comments in a week than you'd get in a year, based on your post.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just ignore people catcalling etc etc. I've been mostly embaressed but a little thrilled on the odd occasion a lady has shouted something at me when cycling. (usually a friend of my mrs that I don't recognize at the time :))

The only time I did feel a bit self concious or whatever way you want to describe it, was doing a major sportive and a load of teenagers gave me a lashing about being a bit ould to be dressed like I was etc :D

I would rather they didn't but ffs, talking about criminalizing it, ffs..... proportionality.

I 100% agree, someone touching you is not on but shouting or catcalling etc, be an adult and ignore them.

It isn't the same for men and women.

I have a wife, 2 sisters and a sister in law who jog; the primary choice on when and where they run is their safety. I cycle/run/mtb wherever I like when I like.
    I don't give it a thought for most part; possible exception being some crazy length cycle where I have to go through an urban area in the 12am-6am pondlife window; and I fcuking resent that inconvenience.

It's really unlikely someone will shout at me/touch me etc. If a woman/group of women shout at me I can't reasonably have a fear of being sexually assaulted; for a lone woman on a city/suburban street she has to fear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

What about people who are subjected to racial abuse, as just one example, should they just "be an adult and ignore [it]"? And as for the irony of using words to argue that words don't matter, well that's just having your foot and eating it really.

Regardless of whether the video is real or staged, some of the attitudes it has brought out in this thread, thankfully in a minority of posts, are disturbing. The level of unreconstructed thinking demonstrated by some people is practically Trump-ian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Chuchote wrote: »
    What a bizarre idea for a 'prank'!

Viral videos are a lucrative business.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How a girl could pull off a wing mirror that is bolted on is beyond me. You could hit it 100 times with a hammer and break it, but you'd never break it free of van, she just pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

the false equivalence between a man being shouted at a couple of times by a woman over the years and the sort of stuff women have to put up with is insane.

I feel this may be in relation to my previous comment re: me being sexually commented on... I rather wanted to ("just sayin'" style) point to gender differences in the way we receive such comments - I guess if most men wouldn't mind in general. I would never put the equality sign between men and women's experience in this regard though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, I was specifically referring to deagol saying that because he's able to shrug off comments from women, that women should be able to do the converse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thank you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

unfortunately, i think the only reason it was shared to the extent it was, was because it had a 'happy' ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

unfortunately, i think the only reason it was shared to the extent it was, was because it had a 'happy' ending.

Of course that's the reason. No one would care as much if it was just a woman getting abused and then the perps got away. It's storytelling 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bunch of assholes if's it's true it was staged. The video suggested a woman was blocked in by a van, momentarily grabbed and verbally abused and threatened. While plenty of women have had the insult of being catcalled or whistled at while cycling, I doubt many have experienced what happened to that woman in this video.

These prats have now suggested, with a convincing video, that this is routine for women to experience in an urban area. It's not, but it will have put some women off any intention of taking up cycling any time soon.

An alternative video of what is typical for women (and some men) to experience while cycling and how to deal with it appropriately, if serious, should be made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's a little different when you're a young woman and there's an edge of threat to all the "friendly" shouting by random strangers, not to mention touching. Walk a mile in another woman's shoes, preferably red stilettos with six-inch heels.

Indeed. Main problem I had with the video is that it suggests that the response from the female cyclist is a sensible course of action. You see one outcome, which is the one desired by the prospective audience of the people who made the video, but other possible outcomes include the guys getting out of the van and decking her, her getting prosecuted for damaging the van etc... Worth remembering as well is that while this is presented as an isolated incident, if it is a regular commute route for her and the van they're liable to come into contact again. Better to report the incident to the police, if it is marked van report it to the employers, and either de-escalate and move on or involve more people at the scene to highlight the abusive actions of the guys in the van and limit their ability to get away with it.

Advertisement