Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest users how's your Humidity?

• 22-02-2017 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as I think I'm a bit high, don't know much about the humidity side of things.

Right now downstairs temp is set to 19 for the night but it's 21 in the house and humidity is 55%

Upstairs is set to 16.5, heating hasn't been on up there in a few days, temp is currently 18 up there and humidity 58%

Just wondering how it compares.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't have Nest, but those humidity levels are about normal for Ireland. Between 40 to 60% is the recommended level. Above that you risk mold, condensation, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I know about the recommended levels BK, just curious to see how nest users have reacted if too low or high and the effects the changes had on the nest readings.

Temps heald steady all night at 21 downstairs and raised naturally to 19 upstairs (set to 19 and 16.5), they never dropped and heating never came on. Humidity rose to 60% downstairs and staid at 58% upstairs.
    Nest has auto set itself to 20.5 this morning downstairs after been set manually to 19 for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Can one control the humidity directly using nest? e.g. keep the RH below a certain level? Or is it just a matter of controlling the temp?
    I'm thinking of those days when you could run the house to 23 before it starts to feel warm, due to high absolute humidty outside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Downstairs 59% this morning
    Upstairs 55%

Haven't seen it below 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I've only got two zones - water & heat so I only get one temperature & humidity reading. Have the max set to 22º & lower to 16º (missus is the only one in the house that feels the cold and the rest of us have to go around in T-Shirts & shorts while she bakes).

Humidity has been as high as 53% & as low as 38%, right now is 49%.

Incidentally, I got my first gas bill since installing the NEST this morning. Never had a thermostat before just timed on & off & the bill was €51 less expensive for the two months than year on year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dardania wrote: »
    Can one control the humidity directly using nest? e.g. keep the RH below a certain level? Or is it just a matter of controlling the temp?

Just the temp. Well RH is effected by temp obviously, but you really wouldn't try and control RH with temp. Instead if you have issues with high RH, you would try and reduce the core cause of the RH at a given comfortable temp.

For instance with improved ventilation, changing practice on how you dry clothes, dehumdifier, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just curious as I think I'm a bit high, don't know much about the humidity side of things.

Right now downstairs temp is set to 19 for the night but it's 21 in the house and humidity is 55%

Upstairs is set to 16.5, heating hasn't been on up there in a few days, temp is currently 18 up there and humidity 58%

Just wondering how it compares.
    Tazium wrote: »
    Downstairs 59% this morning
    Upstairs 55%

Haven't seen it below 50%.

I was only thinking about this myself yesterday. Since I got it it was in the 3n% region, but noticed the last week or so it's around the 50s, it's 48% at the moment, pretty much the same as OU812.

I thought the raise may have been due to the fact I lit the stove at the weekend which may have affected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

bk wrote: »

Just the temp. Well RH is effected by temp obviously, but you really wouldn't try and control RH with temp. Instead if you have issues with high RH, you would try and reduce the core cause of the RH at a given comfortable temp.

For instance with improved ventilation, changing practice on how you dry clothes, dehumdifier, etc.
    I tend to agree (not wanting to directly control RH by overheating) but I notice sometimes in Ireland it is so damp outside that regardless of EWI & DCV in my house, sticking to 20C dry bulb isn't enough to make one feel warm.

I saw that Nest a while back brought this out: https://nest.com/support/article/What-is-Cool-to-Dry to address absolute humidity I guess
    but it sounds like they don't have anything to reduce RH (even at expense of DB)... I would've been curious to see how it felt in practice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Off Topic I know but its a bug bear

EWI & DCV, RH, DB

What are these?

I work in a Global organisation and there are thousands of TLA's (Two/Three Letter Acronyms) the general Joe Soap out in the business do not know or understand these TLA's. So much so that we even have a directory of acronyms and their real words and meanings - there are over 1000 entries in this directory!
    I constantly get comments for my clients/customers asking me to explain these acronyms - it scares people away from getting fully engaged and involved if they don't understand and they sometimes feel silly asking for an explanation of an acronym

Is it possible to use the full term rather than the acronym?

Not highlighting this particular thread as I see it as a common occurrence across various threads (particularly tech type threads)

Sorry - rant over

EWI - External Wall Insulation
    DCV - Demand Controlled Ventilation
    RH - Relative Humidity
    DB - Dry Bulb Temperature

• Advertisement

I tend to agree (not wanting to directly control RH by overheating) but I notice sometimes in Ireland it is so damp outside that regardless of EWI & DCV in my house, sticking to 20C dry bulb isn't enough to make one feel warm.

Thing is comfortable temperature is variable.

I think it can also be greatly effected by psychology and mood.

For instance I find that on a cold, dark, wet winter afternoon, I want to bang up the temp just to feel a bit better.

While on a cold, but bright spring morning, it might actually be colder, but I don't need extra heat.

Then there is activity, sitting at home, working on the computer all day, not moving, then I'm going to feel colder.

Just home from a run outside on a cold winter evening, I'm actually going to be sweating and turning the heating off.

It also differs from person to person. Women run colder then men in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

bk wrote: »
    Women run colder than men in general.

Tell me about it!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Downstairs 55%
    Bedroom 1 69%
    Bedroom 2 72%

Downstairs is generally below 50%
    Bedroom 1 usually has clothes drying so the humidity is higher and bedroom 2 is used for Air BandB with guests in the room keeping the room at above 70%. Passive vents in all rooms.

Advertisement