Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying/insuring my first car

• 22-02-2017 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So I'm a 21 year old male currently half-way through my EDT, working 6 days, social drinker on a bi monthly basis (not often at all) xD

I won't be able to take my driving test until early june so I'll be working from my learners permit until then (and in reality probably beyond) :D

No one in my immediate family drives so I'll need to buy and insure my own car to practice more.

My knowledge of cars doesn't stretch far beyond the colour palette and how many wheels they have so I'd really appreciate some advice on what models would be good for a first time learner, mainly in terms of insurance as a permit holder/fully licensed and to which would provide the least amount of hassle for someone with limited knowledge on the mechanics of cars.
    Also any advice on insurance companies is appreciated.

I've been told to only look at cars between 1.0 - 1.4 litres but even so im getting quotes of 4.5-5k yearly.....that's insane to me and would mean driving would have to be put on the back burner for a while.
    My budget would max out at 1.5k. I'm not comfortable spending more than that (unless necessary) on my first car, i dont want a bad looking rust bucket, maybe I'm being unrealistic.
    Would i pay a lot more at a dealer than on the likes of done deal?
    Any questions i should definetly be asking sellers when I message them?

Any reply is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars?year_from=2004&price_to=2000&engine_to=1&engine_from=.8

You'd want to be watching the bangernomics thread for cars in your price bracket, but there should be a few above. Insurance isn't gonna be cheap, but I'll let the more knowledgeable posters help there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will get no value from a dealer selling cars in the €1500 price range. There simply won't be much in the way of warranty on a car of that price from a dealer as it's not profitable for them to cover it.

Insurance is going to be expensive no matter what way you look at it as insurance has jumped up 50%/60% in the last few years for people will years of claims free motoring. One tip though is that they are loading cars that generally are 15 year or older as they see them as dangerous so try and aim for something younger than that. Unfortunately owning and running a car in Ireland is very expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 patrick 3759

Shannon757 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars?year_from=2004&price_to=2000&engine_to=1&engine_from=.8

You'd want to be watching the bangernomics thread for cars in your price bracket, but there should be a few above. Insurance isn't gonna be cheap, but I'll let the more knowledgeable posters help there

Thanks ill keep an eye in it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 patrick 3759

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will get no value from a dealer selling cars in the €1500 price range. There simply won't be much in the way of warranty on a car of that price from a dealer as it's not profitable for them to cover it.

Insurance is going to be expensive no matter what way you look at it as insurance has jumped up 50%/60% in the last few years for people will years of claims free motoring. One tip though is that they are loading cars that generally are 15 year or older as they see them as dangerous so try and aim for something younger than that. Unfortunately owning and running a car in Ireland is very expensive these days.

I was looking at an 06 megane but then i read horror stories and decided against it.
    There's an 06 corsa i like the look of for 1500, but i don't know what to be asking.
    And an 04 yaris few marks to the body but I've heard they're very reliable cars.
    Both 1 litres.
    Insurance seems to be around 3,500 in general which i expected when i started learning to drive, the 5k quotes just threw me.
    Even the telematics schemes seem to be working out at 3,500 for me.
    Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

So I'm a 21 year old male currently half-way through my EDT, working 6 days, social drinker on a bi monthly basis (not often at all) xD

I won't be able to take my driving test until early june so I'll be working from my learners permit until then (and in reality probably beyond) :D

No one in my immediate family drives so I'll need to buy and insure my own car to practice more.

My knowledge of cars doesn't stretch far beyond the colour palette and how many wheels they have so I'd really appreciate some advice on what models would be good for a first time learner, mainly in terms of insurance as a permit holder/fully licensed and to which would provide the least amount of hassle for someone with limited knowledge on the mechanics of cars.
    Also any advice on insurance companies is appreciated.

I've been told to only look at cars between 1.0 - 1.4 litres but even so im getting quotes of 4.5-5k yearly.....that's insane to me and would mean driving would have to be put on the back burner for a while.
    My budget would max out at 1.5k. I'm not comfortable spending more than that (unless necessary) on my first car, i dont want a bad looking rust bucket, maybe I'm being unrealistic.
    Would i pay a lot more at a dealer than on the likes of done deal?
    Any questions i should definetly be asking sellers when I message them?

Any reply is appreciated

Start with a one litre and make sure it isn't older than about 10 years old. Get a quote for you only and you with one of your parents named, that might bring it down a bit.

When you start driving don't get penalty points as some places can apply an additional premium of 10% for two and even 17% for four or more. One year claims free driving will be about worth about 10% discount off your gross premium, this could be offset by rates increase next year but you should be paying less for your age aswell.

Don't go near a bigger car until you are over 25.

• Advertisement
Advertisement