Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost receipt

Options
  • 22-02-2017 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I lost my Tesco receipt on a printer I bought but I can prove where I bought it what store I got it in and who sold it to me it shows on my club card statement that I bought it so would they print me out a new receipt or what

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What do you need the receipt for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Why do you need the receipt? Yes your statement should be good enough as proof of purchase if it says the store etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I am not clear on one point. Did you purchase using a credit / debit card ? If so, that would be good proof as distinct from buying for cash.

We have all lost receipts at some stage but Sod's law says that the one you really want is the one that gets lost. That is why I absolutely never pay for petrol by cash so that if there is an erroneous "drive off" allegation you have evidence even if you lose the original receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP is asking about his club card. Arguably if the customer presents and says I bought this from you, I used my loyalty card look it up, the onus should shift to the retailer to say, no you didn't.

However if the receipt is needed for no other reason than you'd like one, they'd be under no obligation to print you one off. If the printer is faulty and you're dealing with the manufacturer (who then request PoP) just go back to Tesco and ask them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why would you deal with the manufacturer if the printer is faulty? Your contract is with the retailer you bought it from. You don't need the receipt if you have some other form of proof of purchase such as tags. a label on the box or a debit/credit card statement.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why would you deal with the manufacturer if the printer is faulty? Your contract is with the retailer you bought it from. You don't need the receipt if you have some other form of proof of purchase such as tags. a label on the box or a debit/credit card statement.

Assumption on my part btw, for all we know the OP needs it for tax purposes.

Tags or a label on the box isn't sufficient. Many a thief has tried to bring back stolen items for a refund thinking it was!!
    It has to be proof of purchase- that it's been bought and paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Tags or a label on the box isn't sufficient. Many a thief has tried to bring back stolen items for a refund thinking it was!!
    It has to be proof of purchase- that it's been bought and paid for.

Proof of purchase could be:

A credit or debit card statement
    An invoice
    A cheque book stub
    If the product is own-brand or has clearly come from the retailer in question this may be accepted as proof of purchase

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/buying-goods

I would be asking them to prove me wrong in that case. Why should ever punter be treated like a fraudster?

An invoice
    A cheque book stub
    If the product is own-brand or has clearly come from the retailer in question this may be accepted as proof of purchase

I would be asking them to prove me wrong in that case. Why should ever punter be treated like a fraudster?

You have to note the may be. I'd say it is but there have been several fairly well reported incidents of what Notjustsweet was talking about. That would have to be balanced though against a shop out and out accusing someone of theft.

An invoice
    A cheque book stub

The wording "may be" is where the problem lies, it's up to the shop to decide if they accept it as a proof of purchase as it's not legally binding. Things are worse ambiguously for a reason.

The onus is on you to prove you paid for it not for the shop to prove you didn't I'm afraid, that's why it's called a proof of purchase.
    No one is going to accuse you of theft of course (I was explaining why it's not always accepted as proof of purchase) but a retailer is within their rights to insist on a proof of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 craigy2017

Would Tesco issue me a receipt if I showed them my club card statement I can prove the date and how much it cost and where I bought it and who served me

craigy2017 wrote: »
    Would Tesco issue me a receipt if I showed them my club card statement I can prove the date and how much it cost and where I bought it and who served me

What do you need it for? I don't know what till system Tesco use or if they are able to reprint receipts. It's unlikely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would help greatly if you said why you need this receipt and how long ago you bought the printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

craigy2017 wrote: »

Many retail systems are capable of reprinting receipts. I've had it done in Soundstore in the past when my receipt got a bit shredded due to getting wet, and was bringing a product back for repair. They called it up and reprinted a fresh one no problem. It will be up to the retailer to decide whether they want to reprint it or not though, as there's no requirement for them to do it.

If your printer is faulty, then as stated above you may not need a receipt to have it repaired. If there's no problem, and you just want a copy of the receipt, then you'll just have to ask if Tesco will reprint it for you. No one else can answer that question for you.

Advertisement