Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verso not starting

• 22-02-2017 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

So the corolla verso got slow to start about 2 weeks ago.
    If it's left more than a day unstarted it won't start without a jump. It has a stop-start button so doesn't even turn.
    When it does start it's on very low idle for the first few seconds and needs a bit of pedal to really get going.
    Checked for parasitic current draw and nothing there to worry about.
    Checked voltage with car running and it looks fine so don't think it's the alternator.
    Battery is a Bosch about 1 year old, got it tested twice in different motor factors and they are saying it's fine.

Wouldn't start yesterday for her and when I got home it was reading 12.8V, dash lights are on but no attempt to turn over. Took the battery out and got it tested, said it was 100%, went home and it started again with a jump.

Everything to me points to the battery but the testers are saying it's fine. Can the batteries test fine but be crap? Any other ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Starter motor ? Alternator?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Pretty sure it's not the Alternator, battery is testing at fully charged and car won't start. Also charging at about 14.4V with car on, no dip in voltage when lights put on etc.

Haven't a clue about starter motors but why would it start with a jump if it was a starter motor??

Was thinking about swapping batteries with my Focus just to see but the Verso battery is 540A/h and the Focus is a good bit smaller at 360A/h so don't know if it has the capacity to start the Verso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ya sounds like starter motor issues ,are battery cables connected well ,any build up there that you can wipe off,give a rub with a metal brush ..

Other than that you would need a mechanic I'd say , see can you start the car whilst tapping the starter motor with a long wrench (obviously need two people)

Cheers I'll give that a shot in a while and see if I can get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check battery voltage when it did not start (after a day) or only when car was working?
    What do you use to check?
    What voltage was it?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Did you check battery voltage when it did not start (after a day) or only when car was working?
    What do you use to check?
    What voltage was it?

Yep, didn't start yesterday evening.
    1st thing I checked was battery voltage using a Fluke Multi-Meter.
    Read 12.8V
    Took battery out of car and straight to Motor Factors where it tested ok.
    Put back in the car attached jump leads and started straight away
    Started again this morning (but barely!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

tipping wrote: »
    Yep, didn't start yesterday evening.
    1st thing I checked was battery voltage using a Fluke Multi-Meter.
    Read 12.8V
    Took battery out of car and straight to Motor Factors where it tested ok.
    Put back in the car attached jump leads and started straight away
    Started again this morning (but barely!)

Check the battery voltage while it's cranking. It may read 12.8 while not being stressed but under load it could be a different story.

dieselbug wrote: »
    Check the battery voltage while it's cranking. It may read 12.8 while not being stressed but under load it could be a different story.

Just checked there (it has been started a few times this morning)
    12.8V before starting
    11.4V (Min reading when starting)

That all suggests Battery is good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

tipping wrote: »
    Just checked there (it has been started a few times this morning)
    12.8V before starting
    11.4V (Min reading when starting)

That all suggests Battery is good to me.

You should really test it first thing in the morning or preferably when it's not starting. Testing it after its been run a few times wont be a good test.

When it refuses to start does it turn over at all or turn slowly and when you jump it is the donor car running or been running while connected?

dieselbug wrote: »
    You should really test it first thing in the morning or preferably when it's not starting. Testing it after its been run a few times wont be a good test.

When it refuses to start does it turn over at all or turn slowly and when you jump it is the donor car running or been running while connected?

It's a push button start so it either turns over and starts or doesn't turn over at all. It it sluggish to start unless it's warm though. Swapped in a lower capacity battery from a Focus and got much the same result, slightly chuggy starting and then low idle until you rev it a bit.

When jumped the donor car is running.

Back to thinking it might be the starter motor. Time to get it to the mechanic I think.

• Advertisement

Gone to an auto electrician. He's thinking maybe starter but will let me know tomorrow.
    I'll update when he gets to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Sounds like you have a parasitic drain. Some consumer like a light or central locking eyc. is drawing down current and draining battery.

So was the starter motor in the end. Was in bits apparently and he had no idea how the car was starting at all. The fact it was starting at all and with a jump was throwing him so it was only when he got it off it became obvious.
    Anyway all sorted and up and running again.

Advertisement