Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking apartment

Options
  • 22-02-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi

I was hoping I could get some advice.

I'm currently an apartment owner in an apartment in the city centre which is allowed pets provided they don't cause a nuisance to other residents.

About 6 months ago, tenants that had been living next to me for about 3 months got a Pitbull type of dog which they never muzzle when out and about.

My problem with them is that every time I leave my apartment the dog rushes to their door and barks and growls at me as I enter/ exit the lift. I understand that he's most likely only in "protection mode" to warn off intruders but this is my apartment and I don't think I should feel intimidated returning/ leaving it.

I've tired speaking to the tenants a number of times (a lot of other residents kicked up a fuss about the dog being unmuzzled) but they have a dogs will be dogs attitude.

I just want to get people's opinion to see if I'm being hyper sensitive or if I should contact their landlord (whom I know personally from when he lived in the apartment).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If he's only barking as you leave and enter, I'd leave it.
    If anything, it's good security for you too!

If he was barking anytime between 11pm - 7am, then I'd complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dubl1nguy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If he's only barking as you leave and enter, I'd leave it.
    If anything, it's good security for you too!

If he was barking anytime between 11pm - 7am, then I'd complain.

Thanks for the reply but why would I need extra security when I live in a secure complex? I'm of the opinion that myself, my partner and any of my guests should be able to enter and exit the building without being intimidated by the tenants dog. Some dogs aren't suitable to live in a multi unit apartment complex. The tenants were irresponsible bringing the animal into the building without first researching how well the breed is likely to cope in the apartment. A quick search on Google illustrates how poor a choice an apartment is for this type of dog. It's not fair on the animal or the residents that live in the apartment complex to bring it in just because it's the breed "I always wanted" (yes they told me they were looking for this particular breed of dog before they got him).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dubl1nguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but why would I need extra security when I live in a secure complex? I'm of the opinion that myself, my partner and any of my guests should be able to enter and exit the building without being intimidated by the tenants dog. Some dogs aren't suitable to live in a multi unit apartment complex. The tenants were irresponsible bringing the animal into the building without first researching how well the breed is likely to cope in the apartment. A quick search on Google illustrates how poor a choice an apartment is for this type of dog. It's not fair on the animal or the residents that live in the apartment complex to bring it in just because it's the breed "I always wanted" (yes they told me they were looking for this particular breed of dog before they got him).

Ah look, I'm just saying it probably wouldn't bother a lot of people, especially because the noise is not during the night.
    The fact your complex allows pets (I thought most didn't?) would go against you here.
    My next door neighbours (living in a house) have 2 big dogs and always bark like mad when I park up and also leave the house. Doesn't bother me and I never feel intimidated.

It'd be a different story if their door was open and the unmuzzled dog was able to approach you to be fair.
    I think you'd be worth challenging them to ensure the dog is muzzled at all times when 'out and about' the complex.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Ah look, I'm just saying it probably wouldn't bother a lot of people, especially because the noise is not during the night.
    The fact your complex allows pets (I thought most didn't?) would go against you here.
    My next door neighbours (living in a house) have 2 big dogs and always bark like mad when I park up and also leave the house. Doesn't bother me and I never feel intimidated.

It'd be a different story if their door was open and the unmuzzled dog was able to approach you to be fair.
    I think you'd be worth challenging them to ensure the dog is muzzled at all times when 'out and about' the complex.

Thanks again for the reply. They're allowed pets provided they don't cause a nuisance. It's unfortunate on my floor that two of the other properties are now vacant (some legal issue with the owners) and the other resident is agrevied by the dog but would "feel bad" if the dog was taken away (it's unlikely the dog owners would move with the dog as they're that kind of people).

The owners of this dog were pleaded with by no less than 10 other apartments to muzzle their dog when in the complex. They refused everytime. It wasn't until their landlord gave them an ultimatum that they finally gave in after 5 months of people asking them (I've seen him without a muzzle after this but that's a different story).

In my opinion the dog is clearly causing a nuisance to me as a homeowner as I can't enjoy my own property. It's not the dogs fault that his owners are irresponsible but my ability to live in peace is more important than their need to have a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Im not quite clear on how you are being intimidated? Is the dog out in the corridor?

Or can you just hear it behind a closed door?

He's behind the door, growling and scraping at the door when I walk past. He's also very reactive and barks at me whenever we're in the corridor together. I seen the dog "lose it" on the street a couple of months back and dragged the owner onto the main road. Luckily there was no traffic at the time or the story would have ended there.

If the owners had muzzled the dog at all times (as required under the control of dogs act) and even approached me saying they are looking at getting professional training or are trying different techniques to curb his behaviour. That would be no problem at all, I'd be very understanding to the situation. At the end of the day, I'm not some old woman complaining about the price of bread. They dont seem to realise or just don't care that I have a genuine issue (at least I think I do).

I fail to see how you or anyone could be intimidated by a dog barking behind a locked door. He's hardly going to get out through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

He's behind the door, growling and scraping at the door when I walk past. He's also very reactive and barks at me whenever we're in the corridor together. I seen the dog "lose it" on the street a couple of months back and dragged the owner onto the main road. Luckily there was no traffic at the time or the story would have ended there.

If the owners had muzzled the dog at all times (as required under the control of dogs act) and even approached me saying they are looking at getting professional training or are trying different techniques to curb his behaviour. That would be no problem at all, I'd be very understanding to the situation. At the end of the day, I'm not some old woman complaining about the price of bread. They dont seem to realise or just don't care that I have a genuine issue (at least I think I do).

I don't think that you have a genuine issue. A dog barking and reacting behind a door is not a problem as he is secure in his own apartment.

It is normal for a dog to be nervous or suspicious of somebody who is afraid of it. The dog reacting to you in the corridor is not a fault of the dog.

Also any dog can live in an apartment. I had my Husky in an apartment for the first year of her life. If anybody came to my door she was over smelling under the door and would give a howl (which I loved as it let me know somebody was outside).

People need to just live and let live. It would be a different story if the dog was barking all day or night!

I think a dog barking behind a closed door is one thing but barking at you in the corridor is another.

You could speak to your landlord and ask him/her to raise the issue to the management company?

You could tell your neighbours that you dont like being intimidated by a barking dog in the corridor? If they ignore you Id be stating it to them loudly everytime you met them with the dog in the corridor.

I own my property and from seeing the management company in action trying to get the owners to muzzle their dog they are useless. House rules are something that is written on paper, the management company seems unable to enforce them. I know their landlord and he told me if the dog is causing a disturbance to let him know and he'd deal with it. I was also in contact with Threshold and they said the landlord has a legal obligation to deal with it or I can take him to court.

I know how to sort it once and for all but I just wanted to get people's opinions as sometimes the littlest things can cause a huge issue if you already dislike someone! I don't think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill in this situation though.

• Advertisement

I own my property and from seeing the management company in action trying to get the owners to muzzle their dog they are useless. House rules are something that is written on paper, the management company seems unable to enforce them. I know their landlord and he told me if the dog is causing a disturbance to let him know and he'd deal with it. I was also in contact with Threshold and they said the landlord has a legal obligation to deal with it or I can take him to court.

I know how to sort it once and for all but I just wanted to get people's opinions as sometimes the littlest things can cause a huge issue if you already dislike someone! I don't think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill in this situation though.

I would love to know how you think you can sort it? Even the landlord, if he is renting and animals are allowed, doesn't have much say unless the dog is causing a genuine problem. I don't think he is from what you have said.
    That you are afraid of the dog is not a genuine reason for people to have to get rid of their dog.

AryaStark wrote: »
    I would love to know how you think you can sort it? Even the landlord, if he is renting and animals are allowed, doesn't have much say unless the dog is causing a genuine problem. I don't think he is from what you have said.
    That you are afraid of the dog is not a genuine reason for people to have to get rid of their dog.

The landlord never gave them permission to get a dog in the first place. On his lease he has no pets allowed. He gave them strict instructions that they are allowed keep the pet on the conditions that he doesn't ruin the property and that nobody complains that the dog is causing a disturbance. This apartment is in a "prime location", the landlord knows the queue would be a mile long for people to get viewings to see the apartment should he have to remove them.

I don't think that you have a genuine issue. A dog barking and reacting behind a door is not a problem as he is secure in his own apartment.

It is normal for a dog to be nervous or suspicious of somebody who is afraid of it. The dog reacting to you in the corridor is not a fault of the dog.

Also any dog can live in an apartment. I had my Husky in an apartment for the first year of her life. If anybody came to my door she was over smelling under the door and would give a howl (which I loved as it let me know somebody was outside).

People need to just live and let live. It would be a different story if the dog was barking all day or night!

Yes but why does the owner leave the dog at the door if they know he's going to bark and growl as other residents walk past?

It's about having respect for other residents and being a responsible dog owner.

Yes but why does the owner leave the dog at the door if they know he's going to bark and growl as other residents walk past?

It's about having respect for other residents and being a responsible dog owner.

Sure the Dogs only barking through a locked door!
    It's nothing to do with respect for you.
    What would you do if there was a child in there that banged on the door every time you walked by?

Because he is on the inside of the door not the outside of the door. That means that the dog is in the owners apartment and you are safe on the outside of the door.

Dogs bark and growl... thats a fact of life. So long as it is not nuisance barking and the dog is not up in your face growling then I don't see that you have much to complain about.
    That you are afraid in unfortunate, but not the owners fault.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sure the Dogs only barking through a locked door!
    It's nothing to do with respect for you.
    What would you do if there was a child in there that banged on the door every time you walked by?

I'd ask the owner to take proper control of their child 😂. I see your point and just to clarify I don't blame the dog. I understand that it's natural for some dogs to be reactive to sounds. At the same time though it's driving me up the walls. I've spoken to other residents here and they said they wouldn't tolerate it.

I'd ask the owner to take proper control of their child 😂. I see your point and just to clarify I don't blame the dog. I understand that it's natural for some dogs to be reactive to sounds. At the same time though it's driving me up the walls. I've spoken to other residents here and they said they wouldn't tolerate it.

What people do in their own apartment is none of your business. Weather it is a child or a dog that is annoying you, its just tough and you have to learn to live with it.
    You seem to think that you have a right to walk through the corridors and not have to listen to what goes on in other peoples apartment. You don't. It is only your business if it constant barking or the dog is hanging out in the corridor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Dubl1nguy wrote:

So from the above I take it you don't like the neighbours? I have to say I don't see the problem if he's barking behind a door.

At the same time I agree it's not a great dog to be in an apartment block and should be muzzled at all times.

Its nothing to do with people being afraid of dogs.

The problem that I see is that these dog owners have a reactive dog bothering other residents in the corridor. It doesnt matter if the other residents are afraid of dogs or not. If the owners are not responsible enough to train the dog not to be reactive in the corridor then they are not fit to be walking the dog through the corridor.

Communal living requires respect and consideration for other people living in the building.

Thank you, that is exactly how I feel about it.

And to answer the other poster. I have no interest in what goes on inside their apartment but if I'm unable to leave my apartment without being barked/growled at by their dog then that's affecting my quality of living. I've lived in apartments all my adult life so I'm well used to noise. It's one thing your neighbour throwing a party at the weekend it's another thing coming back to a barking dog 7 days a week.

• Advertisement

Yes and the op has no respect for the dog owners.

He has said that there was a problem with having the dog out without a muzzle and that that has now been rectified and that the owners now muzzle the dog when he is outside the apartment.
    A dog on a lead barking at a person who is afraid of the dog is not a problem as far as I am concerned. The dog is nervous and letting the person know not to come at them. A dog senses when somebody is afraid and it usually makes the dog nervous.
    Now if the dog was not on lead and running up and down the corridor barking at people then it would be a big problem but that is not what is happening.

The op seems to think that some dogs are not suited to apartments and that is not true. Once a dog in exercised then it can live anywhere!
    A reactive dog on a lead and muzzled is a dog that is under control.

that's affecting my quality of living.

It's really not. It's two seconds of barking from behind a closed door as you walk by. I can see how it might get annoying, but it doesn't affect your quality of life.
    And if you really would tell people to stop their children making noise inside an apartment, then there's no much anyone here can do for you!
    You came on to see if you were over reacting & everyone bar one poster appears to think you are.

Yes and the op has no respect for the dog owners.

He has said that there was a problem with having the dog out without a muzzle and that that has now been rectified and that the owners now muzzle the dog when he is outside the apartment.
    A dog on a lead barking at a person who is afraid of the dog is not a problem as far as I am concerned. The dog is nervous and letting the person know not to come at them. A dog senses when somebody is afraid and it usually makes the dog nervous.
    Now if the dog was not on lead and running up and down the corridor barking at people then it would be a big problem but that is not what is happening.

The op seems to think that some dogs are not suited to apartments and that is not true. Once a dog in exercised then it can live anywhere!
    A reactive dog on a lead and muzzled is a dog that is under control.

I'm sorry but you're way off point. I asked these people to muzzle their dog 3 times, I'm not sure how many times other residents asked them but from speaking to them maybe a dozen? I put through literature on the control of dogs act. I told them that I regularly have children in my apartment visiting. I bent over backwards to facilitate these people and it wasn't until their landlord got involved that something was done.

Regarding exercise, the dog is walked around the complex grounds and maybe for 10 minutes outside on any given day. Not every dog is suitable to apartment living, I contacted a number of animal rescues for advice and they confirmed the same. There's no shortage of information online which also confirms the same. So you're completely wrong with what you are saying.

I'm sorry but you're way off point. I asked these people to muzzle their dog 3 times, I'm not sure how many times other residents asked them but from speaking to them maybe a dozen? I put through literature on the control of dogs act. I told them that I regularly have children in my apartment visiting. I bent over backwards to facilitate these people and it wasn't until their landlord got involved that something was done.

Regarding exercise, the dog is walked around the complex grounds and maybe for 10 minutes outside on any given day. Not every dog is suitable to apartment living, I contacted a number of animal rescues for advice and they confirmed the same. There's no shortage of information online which also confirms the same. So you're completely wrong with what you are saying.

You think I am wrong and I think you are wrong! So be it. You came looking for advice and you have gotten it. The only person you are listening to is the person who is saying what you want to hear.

If the dog is a problem then call the dog warden and see what he has to say. It the dog owner took on a lease, then there is nothing that the landlord or the management company can do while they are not breaking the lease.
    That you don't like a dog barking at you through a door is your own business, it is not the dog owners fault or concern.
    If the owners are breaking the law regarding having the dog muzzled outside then call the dog warden. They will visit and make sure that the dog is being looked after properly and that the owners follow the law regarding the breed of the dog.

On another post you said that you knew exactly how to stop this, and I was asking how? You have not answered that...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

I'm on the side of the OP.
    The dog may physically be behind a door but obviously the sound and agression carries and isn't confined neatly to the apartment. "sure, he's behind a locked door" doesn't cut it. OP is talking about accoustics.

Stress can be relative and I don't think you're over-reacting. You own and live there and have a right to come/go and live in pease with a bit of consideration from others. The fact that it's a communal area doesn't mean your right to peace should be compromised etc.

BTW is there not another door between the front door and their hallway that the dog could be kept behind?

I'd also record it so you have something to play to either the owners or landlord etc.

But op said that pets are allowed, once they are not causing a disturbance.

The op finds the barking annoying, but it is not causing a disturbance.

• Advertisement

Yes but it is not what is classes as a legal disturbance. The dog is not barking constantly during anti social hours.
    The dog is confined to the apartment, not in communal hours.
    As I already said it is unfortunate that the op is not happy but there is no law being broken that I can see.
    I am out of this thread now as it is nothing to do with me and it seems that people just want to complain and think they have a right to say how other people live.

I hate the noise of kids screaming and laughing but cannot complain about it as just because it disturbs me while I try to work does not mean I have any right to make it stop or complain and expect to have my complaint upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement