Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking apartment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dubl1nguy

But I thought you weren't afraid of the dog?

Where did I say I wasn't afraid of the dog? I said I wasn't afraid of dogs in general.

AryaStark wrote: »
    You keep contradicting yourself... you have just said that you don't think that day care would take a RB dog!!!

Do you understand the difference between a daycare centre and an animal rescue?? I'm not sure you do.

Taken from the first day care centre I looked at on Google

"Restricted breeds must join daycare between 3-4 months of age and must be neutered as adolescents"

So no, this dog wouldn't qualify to be allowed into the daycare centre

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Yes your home is your sanctuary, key words being your home....not the corridor to your home.

My neighbours have 2 dogs she allows to roam in her front garden, they bark when I get out of my car, walk my driveway to my front door. Sure it's annoying but they are on her property and secured in her garden. The barking goes on for few minutes after I close the front door, after that it isn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Dubl1nguy wrote: »
    Do you understand the difference between a daycare centre and an animal rescue?? I'm not sure you do.

I do indeed.

Do you understand the meaning of 'None of your business what goes on behind closed doors' ? You seem to think you can dictate how these people life because of a bit of barking while you pass there door.
    The dog is not causing a disturbance. You on the other hand seem like a very annoying neighbour... putting letters in the door, reporting them when they are not breaking the law and offering to walk their dog to day care.
    I know who I would want to live beside.

wendydoll wrote: »
    Yes your home is your sanctuary, key words being your home....not the corridor to your home.

My neighbours have 2 dogs she allows to roam in her front garden, they bark when I get out of my car, walk my driveway to my front door. Sure it's annoying but they are on her property and secured in her garden. The barking goes on for few minutes after I close the front door, after that it isn't an issue

Yes but you live in a house, I live in an apartment complex with a strict set of guidelines to keeping a pet. Do you live on a road with a strict set of rules saying that's pets cannot disturb the other residents? I presume not, so your situation is like chalk and cheese compared to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

This might be a little outside the box but, maybe offer to walk the dog or something once or twice just so you can get the dog to know you? If they will refuse to muzzle (which they should be doing) and you hit a wall with everything else, see if you can at least get the dog to know you enough not to be intimidating when going about your own business in the apartment complex.

....... wrote: »

Just because somebody says that it is causing a disturbance doesn't make it true. Nothing that the op has said would stand up as being a proper cause for concern.

When the dog was being walked around without a muzzle the op should have called the warden. Instead they got the landlord involved and the issue was resolved and according to the op the dog is now walked with a muzzle.

I do indeed.

Do you understand the meaning of 'None of your business what goes on behind closed doors' ? You seem to think you can dictate how these people life because of a bit of barking while you pass there door.
    The dog is not causing a disturbance. You on the other hand seem like a very annoying neighbour... putting letters in the door, reporting them when they are not breaking the law and offering to walk their dog to day care.
    I know who I would want to live beside.

Are you trolling or are you serious?

Since when is putting information into a neighbours letterbox on Irish Law a terrible thing to do? Would you rather people call a dog warden? They got reported by the residents here because THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW. The law states that these dogs must be muzzled and leashed at all times in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where did I say I wasn't afraid of the dog? I said I wasn't afraid of dogs in general.

Sorry I must have misunderstood you!

Yes but you live in a house, I live in an apartment complex with a strict set of guidelines to keeping a pet. Do you live on a road with a strict set of rules saying that's pets cannot disturb the other residents? I presume not, so your situation is like chalk and cheese compared to mine.

So just to clarify dogs aren't aloud or dogs can't disturb other residents?
    When my fear of dogs was really bad OP they'd have being no dogs aloud in the apartment complex then because it would have really disturbed me if I knew their was a dog behind the door!

• Advertisement

Sorry I must have misunderstood you!

So just to clarify dogs aren't aloud or dogs can't disturb other residents?
    When my fear of dogs was really bad OP they'd have being no dogs aloud in the apartment complex then because it would have really disturbed me if I knew their was a dog behind the door!

Dogs are only allowed if they don't disturb other residents or cause a nuisance. If the dog barks occasionally I'm not running for the phone looking for a dog warden. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to walk from my apartment door to the lift without a dog going mad at the door. The sound of the dog barking is amplified in the corridor so it's like I'm in a warzone every morning going to work

I think the posters that don't think there's an issue with the dog barking have obviously never lived through the experience or have extremely high tolerance levels. It's a very stressful experience.

As I type, the two dogs next door are barking away inside their house.
    It really isn't stressful, occasionally annoying but not stressful. The idea of a dog barking for two seconds while I walk past a locked door definitely is not stressful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

A dog should not be in an apartment. No discussion. That's my tuppence worth

A dog should not be in an apartment. No discussion. That's my tuppence worth

What's the difference in a dog being in a house or in an apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This might help:

http://www.barkstop.co.uk/

Dogs are only allowed if they don't disturb other residents or cause a nuisance. If the dog barks occasionally I'm not running for the phone looking for a dog warden. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to walk from my apartment door to the lift without a dog going mad at the door. The sound of the dog barking is amplified in the corridor so it's like I'm in a warzone every morning going to work

I think you need to contact the landlord/management company and the dog warden because it's the only way you'll get anything done about it then.
    Kind of pointless posting here.
    Possible outcomes.
    Nothing happens.
    Dog might get locked in an bedroom for the day which I think would be worse for the dog but he won't be bothering you at the door.
    Tenants move.
    Dog gets rehomed.
    Dog gets abandoned somewhere.
    Dog get put down.

....... wrote: »
    An apartment is a box surrounded by other boxes with common corridors and hallways etc...

When you choose to live in an apartment you need to be mindful of the difficulties of apartment living.

For example, you cant run appliances late at night or youll keep the whole block awake, same goes for leaving your bike, pram etc outside your front door.

Its just common sense really.

My house has attached houses either side. As does both those houses. Do you suggest my neighbours shouldn't have dogs?

These people are completely unreasonable. Maybe in their home country there are different attitudes towards renting an apartment in an urban area.

I think this could be the bigger problem here.

• Advertisement

Not really chalk and cheese to be honest. If a dog is a constant nuisance everyone has a right to complain about it to the correct authority regardless whether they live on a street or apartment complex.

What your idea of a nuisance is and what this pet friendly apartment complex idea of nuisance is can vary? Maybe discuss it will the landlord.

Don't let a walk to your apartment through your communal corridor upset your entire day!

Once you close your front door, let go of the negativity you to experience in the corridor!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Legally id imagine the dog doesn't need to be muzzled in an apartment block. It's not a public space. Has the dog shown any signs of aggression toward anyone apart from the barking at the door to warrant 11 apartment dwellers to get excited about it?

wendydoll wrote: »
    Not really chalk and cheese to be honest. If a dog is a constant nuisance everyone has a right to complain about it to the correct authority regardless whether they live on a street or apartment complex.

What your idea of a nuisance is and what this pet friendly apartment complex idea of nuisance is can vary? Maybe discuss it will the landlord.

Don't let a walk to your apartment through your communal corridor upset your entire day!

Once you close your front door, let go of the negativity you to experience in the corridor!

Thanks for the advice. I've been to the doctor twice and he gave me some advice and some websites to go to, to help relieve the stress. What's a nuisance to me might not be that stressful to someone else. I spoke to a lot of the other homeowners (and even brought them to view the dog going mad) and they said they would under no circumstances would they tolerate that. So either, I live in an apartment complex with a lot of highly strung people or there's an issue there that needs to be addressed.

PraxisPete wrote: »
    Legally id imagine the dog doesn't need to be muzzled in an apartment block. It's not a public space. Has the dog shown any signs of aggression toward anyone apart from the barking at the door to warrant 11 apartment dwellers to get excited about it?

He lunged at my partner about 3 weeks after they got him (granted the owner controlled him on a leash). He's also (from what I was told) attacked a couple of other animals outside the complex, none were seriously injured from what I was told.

Thanks for the advice. I've been to the doctor twice and he gave me some advice and some websites to go to, to help relieve the stress. What's a nuisance to me might not be that stressful to someone else. I spoke to a lot of the other homeowners (and even brought them to view the dog going mad) and they said they would under no circumstances would they tolerate that. So either, I live in an apartment complex with a lot of highly strung people or there's an issue there that needs to be addressed.

If you have been to the doctor twice because a dog barks at you through a door then I am afraid that, in my opinion, you need to go to another doctor. That level of stress is not normal for this type of situation.

OP just call the landlord. If everyone else in the complex is complaining about the issue then the landlord will have to deal with it.

Speaking to "a lot of the other homeowners" and bringing them to witness the dogs antics and looking for advice on boards isn't going to resolve "your" and all these "other homeowners" issues.

If you have been to the doctor twice because a dog barks at you through a door then I am afraid that, in my opinion, you need to go to another doctor. That level of stress is not normal for this type of situation.

Thanks for the advice I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

He lunged at my partner about 3 weeks after they got him (granted the owner controlled him on a leash). He's also (from what I was told) attacked a couple of other animals outside the complex, none were seriously injured from what I was told.

In a playful "nice to see you way" or a snarling viscous way?

It sounds to me like you have a bee in your bonnet about this dog and have been unreasonable regarding the muzzle. I'd imagine the owners of the dog are just as pissed off and stressed about that situation as you are about this. If I was them I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to accommodate you further.

Are the other homeowners from your complex or just your friends because surely they'd have being aware of the dog going mad if they were from the complex already because they'd have heard the dog barking when they passed the door.

Go to the landlord or management company OP this thread is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

My problem with them is that every time I leave my apartment the dog rushes to their door and barks and growls at me as I enter/ exit the lift. I understand that he's most likely only in "protection mode" to warn off intruders but this is my apartment and I don't think I should feel intimidated returning/ leaving it.
    A dog barking when someone walks past a front door is unacceptable in an apartment complex.
    Could you imagine if everyone had a dog that did that, it would be mayhem.
    The owner should train the dog not to bark or move into a house.
    This "dogs will be dogs" attitude is BS.
    Say it to the Landlord, since you know them and get them to resolve it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement