Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking apartment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dubl1nguy

PraxisPete wrote: »
    In a playful "nice to see you way" or a snarling viscous way?

It sounds to me like you have a bee in your bonnet about this dog and have been unreasonable regarding the muzzle. I'd imagine the owners of the dog are just as pissed off and stressed about that situation as you are about this. If I was them I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to accommodate you further.

Firstly, it wasn't my idea about the muzzle. This was first brought to their attention by the other residents. I just printed off a copy of the Control of Dogs Act and put it in their mailbox - I know how dare me. Whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. It's the law and every person is entitled to request another person to abide by it.

Youre either a responsible dog owner or you're not. Owning a dog is a privilege not a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP you've being told severely times of what you need to do now of what you do to resolve the issue.
    None of us can guarantee the issue will be solved to be honest.
    If the issue isn't reolved in your favour. I'd suggest getting some help with the issue or moving to an apartment comples where dogs are banned.

OP you've being told severely times of what you need to do now of what you do to resolve the issue.
    None of us can guarantee the issue will be solved to be honest.
    If the issue isn't reolved in your favour. I'd suggest getting some help with the issue or moving to an apartment comples where dogs are banned.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

OP, would you consider getting some type of counselling to deal with your phobia of dogs?
    I'd have a mild fear of dogs now at times it used be a lot worse in the past but once the dog is behind a closed gate or door. It's my problem and not the owners.
    If everybody who was afraid of dogs could make a complaint about a barking dog behind a door or gate and expect the issue dealt with I don't think anybody would have a dog nearly because some could say even the sight of them would cause a fear then.

Wise up. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The OP doesn't need counselling. She needs to tell the neighbors to shut their dog up or else be prepared to get rid of it.

Too many nonsense replies from (I presume) dog lovers on here.

I'm a dog-owner and dog-lover myself so don't play that one on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Dubl1nguy wrote: »
    Firstly, it wasn't my idea about the muzzle. This was first brought to their attention by the other residents. I just printed off a copy of the Control of Dogs Act and put it in their mailbox - I know how dare me. Whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. It's the law and every person is entitled to request another person to abide by it.

Youre either a responsible dog owner or you're not. Owning a dog is a privilege not a right.

You should have read the leaflet yourself by the sound of it. A dog on private property isn't the same as a dog in a public space. Either way there's little chance they'll entertain you after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

My problem with them is that every time I leave my apartment the dog rushes to their door and barks and growls at me as I enter/ exit the lift. I understand that he's most likely only in "protection mode" to warn off intruders but this is my apartment and I don't think I should feel intimidated returning/ leaving it.
    A dog barking when someone walks past a front door is unacceptable in an apartment complex.
    Could you imagine if everyone had a dog that did that, it would be mayhem.
    The owner should train the dog not to bark or move into a house.
    This "dogs will be dogs" attitude is BS.
    Say it to the Landlord, since you know them and get them to resolve it.
    Actually, the dog isn't barking.He's guarding.Which, in all fairness, is his job. Barking would consist of constant, loud and ongoing noise. I'd see it quite simple: Unless the door is made out of paper, you'll be just fine walking in and out - he most certainly won't come through the door. I find it hard to stomach that people take offence at some growling behind a closed door that in no way can be broken down by the dog behind it. In regards to a muzzle - if the dogs falls under the restricted breed, he has to:
    [*]Be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
      [font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana][*]Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
      [*]Wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
      [/font]

:rolleyes:
      Wise up. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The OP doesn't need counselling. She needs to tell the neighbors to shut their dog up or else be prepared to get rid of it.

Too many nonsense replies from (I presume) dog lovers on here.

I'm a dog-owner and dog-lover myself so don't play that one on me.

I used be terrified of dogs and I'm still scared at them at times but if I was he OP I'd know it was my issue and I wouldn't bother the neighbours.
      The OP might not get the issue dealt with how they want because it mightn't be regarded as nuisance and if the dog is effecting him that much he could do with a bit of help. They've even being to the doctor twice to discuss the issue.
      So :rolleyes::rolleyes: all you want I stand by my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Actually, the dog isn't barking.He's guarding.Which, in all fairness, is his job. Barking would consist of constant, loud and ongoing noise. I'd see it quite simple: Unless the door is made out of paper, you'll be just fine walking in and out - he most certainly won't come through the door. I find it hard to stomach that people take offence at some growling behind a closed door that in no way can be broken down by the dog behind it. In regards to a muzzle - if the dogs falls under the restricted breed, he has to:
      [*]Be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
        [font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana][*]Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
        [*]Wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
        [/font]
        Get away out of that :) . A sheep dog has a job. A terrier who's owners haven't trained it to act appropriately to its surroundings isn't doing a job.

• Advertisement

• Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
        • Wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
        Get away out of that :) . A sheep dog has a job. A terrier who's owners haven't trained it to act appropriately to its surroundings isn't doing a job.
        That's your understanding.the dog has a different one. As by law, the dog is not causing a disturbance.The fact that OP has a fear related problem when walking through a hallway with non paper doors it the OP's problem and should be addressed as such.

Thats your idea.The dog has a different understanding. if the OP has a fear issue walking through a hallway with non-paper doors thats an issue of a totally different matter than noise nuisance. OP should seek counseling for that - or advise.

....... wrote: »

Jaysus you should have met my first dog. A springer spaniel who unapologetically chewed his way to 2 back doors, 3 internal doors and a shed door! That dog could get through any door given enough chew time![/quote]
        I have one of that kind. But it doesn't take them 1 minute,

What law? Link to the relevant legislation please? Specifically to do with a dog in an apartment block?[/quote]
        http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Sure your mans dog could be chewing the door away for weeks now! The only minute that counts is the last one.[/quote]
        And sure you think your man wouldn't notice that? Thats kind of ridiculous don't you think?

I was just trying to be realistic. I couldn't guarantee the OP will get the issue he wants.
        There's being certain parts of the OP post where he doesn't seem consistent.
        Regarding this dogs. Is his issue he's afraid of the barking or the dog being locked in all day. He also said he brought other residents to the door regarding the dog but surely if they were residents they'd have known about the dog.

That's your understanding.the dog has a different one. As by law, the dog is not causing a disturbance.The fact that OP has a fear related problem when walking through a hallway with non paper doors it the OP's problem and should be addressed as such.

The dog is causing a disturbance because he's disturbing me. I shouldn't be accosted by any breed of dog as I walk from my front door to the lift on a daily basis. Why do you keep calling this a fear related problem? If the dog can't be trained to know that people outside the apartment complex aren't intruders then he's not suitable to live in a multi unit apartment complex plain and simple.

• Advertisement

I was just trying to be realistic. I couldn't guarantee the OP will get the issue he wants.
        There's being certain parts of the OP post where he doesn't seem consistent.
        Regarding this dogs. Is his issue he's afraid of the barking or the dog being locked in all day. He also said he brought other residents to the door regarding the dog but surely if they were residents they'd have known about the dog.

What's not consistent?

As I said the dog going mad at the door IS the issue. Secondary to this I said I feel sorry for the dog being locked up all day and I wouldn't like for the dog to be taken away from the owners.

Best case scenario is the tenants move preferably to somewhere with a back garden. That way i can leave my apartment in peace like I've done for 8 years prior to this situation and the dog will live a happier life with more space to move around. so everyone's a winner in that situation

When the dog in the past was disturbing other people and the owner was told to muzzle the dog the owner did.
        I might have missed it in the thread but has the OP even made the owner aware of the issue? You can't expect them to fix something if their not told.

When the dog in the past was disturbing other people and the owner was told to muzzle the dog the owner did.
        I might have missed it in the thread but has the OP even made the owner aware of the issue? You can't expect them to fix something if their not told.

Do you not think I've tried that or do you think I'm just a whingebag that comes on to forums to have a good ol moan?

What's not consistent?

As I said the dog going mad at the door IS the issue. Secondary to this I said I feel sorry for the dog being locked up all day and I wouldn't like for the dog to be taken away from the owners.

Best case scenario is the tenants move preferably to somewhere with a back garden. That way i can leave my apartment in peace like I've done for 8 years prior to this situation and the dog will live a happier life with more space to move around. so everyone's a winner in that situation

My cousins are involved in animal rights organisations and they go mental if they heard a dog was left in a back garden with shelter all day. They believe the dog should be in the house all day because there like people and you don't put people in the garden all day.
        You also knew they'd be dogs locked in apartments all day when you moved in and if you knew that you'd be worried about the poor dogs being lock in apartments all day when they should be in gardens. Why did you move in?
        You did say you brought other owners in the complex to the door of the apartment to hear the dog barking. If they were in the complex they should have heard the dog barking when they passed the door.

Do you not think I've tried that or do you think I'm just a whingebag that comes on to forums to have a good ol moan?

Well if you've tried that the obvious thing to do is do to the landlord/management company.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement