Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking apartment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dubl1nguy

My cousins are involved in animal rights organisations and they go mental if they heard a dog was left in a back garden with shelter all day. They believe the dog should be in the house all day because there like people and you don't put people in the garden all day.
    You also knew they'd be dogs locked in apartments all day when you moved in and if you knew that you'd be worried about the poor dogs being lock in apartments all day when they should be in gardens. Why did you move in?
    You did say you brought other owners in the complex to the door of the apartment to hear the dog barking. If they were in the complex they should have heard the dog barking when they passed the door.

Have you ever been in apartment complex? Generally speaking people from the top floor don't get out of the lift and walk from one end of the floor to the next and get the lift down to the ground floor on a daily basis. Likewise, we don't have sleepovers where the tenants sleep in mine, leave my apartment, walk past the other tenants apartment and then go up to theirs to get ready for work. Of course this is all theoretical, maybe they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The OP moved into an apartment complex that aloud dogs. I live out the country and when I had to live in apartments. I personally wouldn't have lived in an apartment complex that aloud dogs.
    If dogs are all aloud you'd have a fair idea that anybody working would have a dog locked up all day apart from the odd walk.
    I'm just trying to be realistic with OP that he mightn't get the issue solved in the want.

Dubl1nguy wrote: »
    Have you ever been in apartment complex? Generally speaking people from the top floor don't get out of the lift and walk from one end of the floor to the next and get the lift down to the ground floor on a daily basis. Likewise, we don't have sleepovers where the tenants sleep in mine, leave my apartment, walk past the other tenants apartment and then go up to theirs to get ready for work. Of course this is all theoretical, maybe they do.

OH, I get you now. When I lived in apartments I always took the stairs.

You've being given plenty of advice about the issue and how it may be resolved!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

If you can only hear the dog when you are passing by the owners door then I don't see the problem. How long does it take you to pass by the owners door? How is it causing you so much stress that you have to visit the doctor because of it? How much time do you spend outside this neighbours door?
    I really think that you are over reacting. You seem to have a problem with RB dog in an apartment and the fact that the owners are foreign. At least that is my understanding from this thread. If it was me id tell you where to go.

I own an apartment where dogs are allowed. I do not live there and it is rented by somebody with no dog! If there was a meeting called by one of the other owners and this was the issue I would tell you where to go. This is your problem but not the dog owners. You need to learn to live with other people from what I can see.

AryaStark wrote: »
    If you can only hear the dog when you are passing by the owners door then I don't see the problem. How long does it take you to pass by the owners door? How is it causing you so much stress that you have to visit the doctor because of it? How much time do you spend outside this neighbours door?
    I really think that you are over reacting. You seem to have a problem with RB dog in an apartment and the fact that the owners are foreign. At least that is my understanding from this thread. If it was me id tell you where to go.

I own an apartment where dogs are allowed. I do not live there and it is rented by somebody with no dog! If there was a meeting called by one of the other owners and this was the issue I would tell you where to go. This is your problem but not the dog owners. You need to learn to live with other people from what I can see.

Well your apartment is obviously not in the same location as I have mine.

Your comment about them being foreign is a disgrace and is a reflection on you. My partner is a "foreigner" from France so the point you are trying to make is laughable. Generally speaking Ireland has strict rules for dogs. As an example, I'm only back from holidays where it's common place for dogs to sit beside their owners in restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 crispycrisps

I can understand you being annoyed by the dog barking but no-one on here can fix the problem and it's getting to the stage where you are coming across as "whingebag" as you said because you have been advised what to do by many other.

My advise would be to talk politely your neighbour that you feel uncomfortable/scared by their dog barking at the door when you are passing and could they keep him away from the door at times you are usually leaving/arriving home from work. Maybe they could give him a filled Kong treat to distract him.

Realistically they can't keep the dog away from the inside of their door all day long but they might be able to entertain him at agreed times so you aren't getting upset by his barking at times you are definitely going to be passing at.

Both parties have to be willing to work together. You can't just assume they will told to move or keep their dog contained to a certain space all the time because he might bark when you are passing the door and upset you.

If that doesn't work, ring your LL/management company to come up with the best solution to the issue.

By the way 0P, I don't meant to sound harsh with you. I just find sometimes boards can be very an ideal world situations with some posters and I don't want you to get your hopes up.
    I'd freely admit your situation might be resolved the way you but I can also see why it wouldn't. You've being given all the advice needed!

Well your apartment is obviously not in the same location as I have mine.

Your comment about them being foreign is a disgrace and is a reflection on you. My partner is a "foreigner" from France so the point you are trying to make is laughable. Generally speaking Ireland has strict rules for dogs. As an example, I'm only back from holidays where it's common place for dogs to sit beside their owners in restaurants.
    I am not going back through this thread but you made the first comment about them being foreign. You said that maybe they have different ideas about living in apartments where they are from. From that comment I get that you don't like them but if I am wrong then so be it. But you brought it up first.

By the way 0P, I don't meant to sound harsh with you. I just find sometimes boards can be very an ideal world situations with some posters and I don't want you to get your hopes up.
    I'd freely admit your situation might be resolved the way you but I can also see why it wouldn't. You've being given all the advice needed!

No problem at all mate, I didn't think you were harsh or rude in any way. Thanks for your input today.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

AryaStark wrote: »
    I am not going back through this thread but you made the first comment about them being foreign. You said that maybe they have different ideas about living in apartments where they are from. From that comment I get that you don't like them but if I am wrong then so be it. But you brought it up first.

AryaStark is correct, OP you made a comment about them being foreign at the start of the thread

• Advertisement

Maybe in their home country there are different attitudes towards renting an apartment in an urban area.

There you go OP! Obviously you forgot you brought up it up first :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Imagine you had a neighbour who shouted loudly and aggressively at you any time you walked past his door.
    Even though he's behind locked doors, you know he'd rip your face off given half a chance.
    How relaxing would that be?

eladnova wrote: »
    Imagine you had a neighbour who shouted loudly and aggressively at you any time you walked past his door.
    Even though he's behind locked doors, you know he'd rip your face off given half a chance.

But that is not what is happening here. If that was happening you could try reporting him for harassment.

wendydoll wrote: »
    There you go OP! Obviously you forgot you brought up it up first :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn't forget but the point was taken out of context. Different cities have different regulations regarding dogs barking. Dogs barking is an offence in ireland (obviously depending on the level of barking) and is covered under environmental laws. I doubt every country has the same law.

I'm sure you don't care what point I was trying to make, always good to call someone a racist!

eladnova wrote: »

Well if that was the case you'd ring the guards to get help for that person who may have mental issues but this is a dog, a dog that is locked behind his owners front door and is leashed when he is out with his owners.

And just because he's barking and growling doesn't mean he's going to rip your face off if the door was opened. Just because the dog is RB doesn't mean he's 100% going to attack you if you meet him on the other side of the door.

I didn't forget but the point was taken out of context. Different cities have different regulations regarding dogs barking. Dogs barking is an offence in ireland (obviously depending on the level of barking) and is covered under environmental laws. I doubt every country has the same law.

I'm sure you don't care what point I was trying to make, always good to call someone a racist!

But the dog is not barking enough to cause a disturbance of the level that makes it illegal. It only barks when you pass its door. Sure you had to call the other tenants down to the door to hear the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I can see how people might think the OP is overreacting slightly, given the fact that the dog is behind a door, but I think some posters are being way too harsh on the OP and one or two posters in particular are starting to come off as being a bit aggressive.

I don't understand, when you're not involved in the situation, why you feel such a strong need to defend the dog owners who clearly have no desire to teach their dog appropriate behaviour and clearly don't care about others around them. I especially don't understand why you feel the need to attack and insult the OP.

Accusing him of disliking foreigners is not on. His comment about them being from elsewhere did not give me the impression that he dislikes them but, rather, that he was perhaps allowing for the fact that they might be used to things being different where they are from.

Also, insinuating that there is something medically wrong with the OP for being upset by the dog is not fair. Who are you to decide what is normal?

It probably wouldn't have me at the doctor with stress but it would bother me, as I am sure it would also bother many other reasonable people who expect to be able to go about their lives in peace.

From what I understand, I don't think the OP is actually scared that the dog is going to break through the door and get him. I think he finds it extremely unpleasant to have to listen to threatening noises every time he comes and goes from his own home.

OP, as others have suggested, I think you should raise the issue with the landlord and managing company. Maybe you could ask them to help you resolve it amicably by getting the dog owners to agree to keep the dog behind the second door inside the apartment, or by taking some dog behaviour classes. They could give them a chance to make an effort and then take further action if the dog owners fail to comply.

I am just stating that you brought up the fact they had a different home country first! and then snapped when AryaStark commented on it and tried to say it was poor reflection on AryaStark!

Anyways I don't care if you are a racist or not! It's not the issue here at all.

Take the advice given and contact the people that can deal with the issues of the barking dog!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

OP, would you consider getting some type of counselling to deal with your phobia of dogs?
    I'd have a mild fear of dogs now at times it used be a lot worse in the past but once the dog is behind a closed gate or door. It's my problem and not the owners.
    If everybody who was afraid of dogs could make a complaint about a barking dog behind a door or gate and expect the issue dealt with I don't think anybody would have a dog nearly because some could say even the sight of them would cause a fear then.

I don't the the OP's issue is necessarily a phobia about dogs.

I think it is also about the OP's property and space and, whether others agree or not, the OP is intimidated by this dog.

I don't have a fear of dogs, really like them in fact but, in a previous place I lived the neighbouring dog barked at me whenever I went out the back anywhere near the boundary. I have to admit I was a little peeved at times and I can understand why the OP would be annoyed with the dog barking every time he leaves the apartment. Someone should be able to come and go from their home without it resulting in a racket every time. After all the OP is probably spending a high proportion of his earnings on this place.

It is very difficult to know what to advise as if you complain the owners will do nothing based on their previous responses to issues and this is not regarded to be an issue anyway by many people.

Accusing him of disliking foreigners is not on. His comment about them being from elsewhere did not give me the impression that he dislikes them but, rather, that he was perhaps allowing for the fact that they might be used to things being different where they are from.

I didn't call him a racist. He made a remark about them being from a different country and when another poster commented about, he said it was poor reflection of that poster. We reminded him of the post and then he went on accuse me that I was calling him a racist which I didn't. I just quoted the OP post where he did say.

I literally don't care if he is a racist or he isn't.

I just don't appreciate him making out I called him one because I didn't.

• Advertisement

. I just printed off a copy of the Control of Dogs Act and put it in their mailbox - I know how dare me.

Well, definitely very passive aggressive of you anyway!

I can see how people might think the OP is overreacting slightly, given the fact that the dog is behind a door, but I think some posters are being way too harsh on the OP and one or two posters in particular are starting to come off as being a bit aggressive.

I don't understand, when you're not involved in the situation, why you feel such a strong need to defend the dog owners who clearly have no desire to teach their dog appropriate behaviour and clearly don't care about others around them. I especially don't understand why you feel the need to attack and insult the OP.

Also, insinuating that there is something medically wrong with the OP for being upset by the dog is not fair. Who are you to decide what is normal?

It probably wouldn't have me at the doctor with stress but it would bother me, as I am sure it would also bother many other reasonable people who expect to be able to go about their lives in peace.

From what I understand, I don't think the OP is actually scared that the dog is going to break through the door and get him. I think he finds it extremely unpleasant to have to listen to threatening noises every time he comes and goes from his own home.

OP, as others have suggested, I think you should raise the issue with the landlord and managing company. Maybe you could ask them to help you resolve it amicably by getting the dog owners to agree to keep the dog behind the second door inside the apartment, or by taking some dog behaviour classes. They could give them a chance to make an effort and then take further action if the dog owners fail to comply.

Thanks for your understanding and the advice.

I don't think the dog barking for a few seconds/minutes while you are passing the door would be covered under environmental laws.

I would start recording myself walking from the front door to the lift and vice versa just like you normally would (without loitering around). At least you have a record of the carrying on if you need to contact the dog warden or make a case to bring to court. A woman I worked with was brought to court because her dog was barking excessively when the family left the house. Think she received a fine but she got to keep her dog once she was kept indoors while she was out of the house.

But I'd still just talk to the dog owners first and tell them you are scared of the dog, even if you aren't as see if they are able to help. You don't want to cause tension especially if the management team aren't going to back you up and deal with their dog barking/request they get rid of the dog or move out

I never said their was anything medically wrong with the OP. I just thought the OP could deal with a bit of counselling for the issue be it a fear of dogs or whatever the issue is. Even some type of alternative therapy might help him with his issue. He also said he went to GP about the issue and there's alternatives to the GP.

I don't think the dog barking for a few seconds/minutes while you are passing the door would be covered under environmental laws.

I would start recording myself walking from the front door to the lift and vice versa just like you normally would (without loitering around). At least you have a record of the carrying on if you need to contact the dog warden or make a case to bring to court. A woman I worked with was brought to court because her dog was barking excessively when the family left the house. Think she received a fine but she got to keep her dog once she was kept indoors while she was out of the house.

But I'd still just talk to the dog owners first and tell them you are scared of the dog, even if you aren't as see if they are able to help. You don't want to cause tension especially if the management team aren't going to back you up and deal with their dog barking/request they get rid of the dog or move out

I could make a trilogy with the amount of video evidence I have but I'm sick of playing Ace Ventura Pet detective recording the dog barking. I'll contact the landlord and try get the owners to get some professional help with the dog (I'd even pay for some sessions).

Regarding environmental law - perhaps/perhaps not but I entered into an agreement when buying this property that no other owners would have a nuisance animal on the premises. I already sought legal advice and I was told I could bring the landlord of that property to court. I suppose the outcome would depend on whether the judge deemed it unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Some people are having a go at the op, me included because he sounds massively unreasonable. He has posted irrelevant literature regarding muzzles through his neighbours door, he was involved in lobbying his neighbours landlord regarding said muzzle. The neighbours have been forced to muzzle the dog unnecessarily due to this nonsense.

He now has his other neighbours arriving down outside these peoples door who have no business being there to listen to the dog and aggravate it further.

It's borderline harassment. He clearly doesn't like the "kind of people" who live next door or the kind of dog they own.

It's an apartment building that allows pets, deal with it. It's like giving out about smoking in a smoking area.

OP- there's no point getting legal advise and thinking of bringing the landlord to court if you haven't made the landlord aware of the issue / aware of the extent of the issue you are having with the dog. If they don't know, they can't help!

Just speak to the right people. Discussing it on boards or with neighbours or friends/work colleagues will only drive yourself nuts even more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Dubl1nguy wrote:
    Do you not think I've tried that or do you think I'm just a whingebag that comes on to forums to have a good ol moan?

So what exactly did you expect then? You've claimed the dog is "accosting" you in one of your posts which isn't true, he's barking behind a closed door.

You also asked if it was simply because you didn't like these people and then say you've no issue with them. Then you mention that they're not Irish.

Contradicting yourself all over the place and you obviously don't want any advice except contact the LL, so off you pop and contact him.

You also suggest that these people should move. Why did you buy an apartment in a block that allows pets if you're have such a hatred for them. Maybe you could move? Because as long as you live there another dog could move in next door.

PraxisPete wrote: »
    Some people are having a go at the op, me included because he sounds massively unreasonable. He has posted irrelevant literature regarding muzzles through his neighbours door, he was involved in lobbying his neighbours landlord regarding said muzzle. The neighbours have been forced to muzzle the dog unnecessarily due to this nonsense.

He now has his other neighbours arriving down outside these peoples door who have no business being there to listen to the dog and aggravate it further.

It's borderline harassment. He clearly doesn't like the "kind of people" who live next door or the kind of dog they own.

It's an apartment building that allows pets, deal with it. It's like giving out about smoking in a smoking area.

There's nothing unreasonable about posting a piece of Irish law through someone's mailbox. They were bringing the dog around the city parks unmuzzled and unleashed. Under the law they don't have to muzzle the dog around the apartment complex. That condition was imposed by their landlord. They already broke the terms of the lease by bringing a pet in so they were actually lucky to keep it as the landlord had the right to remove the dog from the property.

At the end of the day, it's my property. If something is seriously affecting my standard of living whereby I'm covered under a legal rule that I signed up to when I bought the property then I'm going to get it sorted. One day when you have your own property you can deem what's reasonable and unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

There's nothing unreasonable about posting a piece of Irish law through someone's mailbox. They were bringing the dog around the city parks unmuzzled and unleashed. Under the law they don't have to muzzle the dog around the apartment complex. That condition was imposed by their landlord. They already broke the terms of the lease by bringing a pet in so they were actually lucky to keep it as the landlord had the right to remove the dog from the property.

At the end of the day, it's my property. If something is seriously affecting my standard of living whereby I'm covered under a legal rule that I signed up to when I bought the property then I'm going to get it sorted. One day when you have your own property you can deem what's reasonable and unreasonable.

It's absolutely none of your business what they do with their dog outside the apartment complex. It's insane behaviour to even think you have any right to know the terms of their lease. If I was you I'd be wary around them lest they decide to take such an active interest in what you get up to outside your home as you do theirs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement