Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking apartment

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crispycrisps

Not unreasonable but incredibly passive aggressive to put that in their mailbox OP

Have you at least tried contact the LL since you started this thread? Leave a voicemail/send an email etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I feel the OP pain. There is a house at the entrance to my estate with an aggressive German Shepherd in their garden. It can't get out but it's still very unnerving walking past. Even when the dog isn't in the garden myself and the missus wince when we walk by expecting it to jump up. The dog is affecting the OP quality of life so hopefully the landlord pulls the renters up on their breach of contract and either makes them remove the dog or evicts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

By the way OP. I totally understand your problem and I think the dog shouldn't be their barking but in my experience be it a dog in a apartment, out the country, on a street or in a housing estate. Once the dog is within the owners premises I've never heard of anything being done. Once he hasn't access the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dubl1nguy

PraxisPete wrote: »
    It's absolutely none of your business what they do with their dog outside the apartment complex. It's insane behaviour to even think you have any right to know the terms of their lease. If I was you I'd be wary around them lest they decide to take such an active interest in what you get up to outside your home as you do theirs.

Why wouldn't it be my business? It I see them with an unleashed and unmuzzled restricted breed dog out in a park that I use then I can ask them 24-7 to put a leash and muzzle on it. No I'm not a dog warden but I'm not a guard either but if I seen someone rob a pensioner I would come to their assistance. Sometimes it's up to the general public to keep an area safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Dubl1nguy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be my business? It I see them with an unleashed and unmuzzled restricted breed dog out in a park that I use then I can ask them 24-7 to put a leash and muzzle on it. No I'm not a dog warden but I'm not a guard either but if I seen someone rob a pensioner I would come to their assistance. Sometimes it's up to the general public to keep an area safe.

Haha, you'll be some help to that pensioner when the day comes I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

OP - from a previous experience of my own, what I would be concerned about is that, while you own your apartment, the dog-owners are only renting and they can up and leave any time, especially if they feel the apartment block is not so dog friendly.

You have no say in who arrives in their place and while you might get good tenants, you may not - what if it's a person or persons who play very loud music at night and you can't sleep, or have other 'anti-social- type issues. In other words, the cure could be worse than the disease. If late night noise doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue, but I know if I had a choice, I'd take the dog-owners.

I am not saying you should put up with any old thing, but sometimes in a situation where you don't really have a say in who lives next to you, it might be well to consider the 'least worst' option. While everybody is expected to keep certain standards and obey by rules, we all know that in reality, people rarely have perfect neighbours.

And I'm speaking from the benefit of a similar experience of when I made a complaint, but wasn't counting on the law of unintended consequences.

I hope your issue is resolved satisfactorily and good luck.

PraxisPete wrote: »
    Haha, you'll be some help to that pensioner when the day comes I'd say.

Sure I'll scare him away telling him I'm PraxisPete

OP - from a previous experience of my own, what I would be concerned about is that, while you own your apartment, the dog-owners are only renting and they can up and leave any time, especially if they feel the apartment block is not so dog friendly.

You have no say in who arrives in their place and while you might get good tenants, you may not - what if it's a person or persons who play very loud music at night and you can't sleep, or have other 'anti-social- type issues. In other words, the cure could be worse than the disease. If late night noise doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue, but I know if I had a choice, I'd take the dog-owners.

I am not saying you should put up with any old thing, but sometimes in a situation where you don't really have a say in who lives next to you, it might be well to consider the 'least worst' option. While everybody is expected to keep certain standards and obey by rules, we all know that in reality, people rarely have perfect neighbours.

And I'm speaking from the benefit of a similar experience of when I made a complaint, but wasn't counting on the law of unintended consequences.

I hope your issue is resolved satisfactorily and good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I've lived in apartments all my adult life so I'm well used to noise from parties. Generally, it wouldn't bother me as people should be allowed the right to party in their property. I'm not sure what enjoyment someone would get from letting their dog bark at the door at other residents.

I've never had an issue or even a bad word to say about another resident in all my adult life, maybe I'm lucky?! There are a few Air BnB apartments in this complex and the adjoining ones, I do often see people from England asleep outside the main door as they can't remember where they are sleeping. I do often invite them in for a cup of tea and let them use my phone to get in contact with their friends. At the end of the day, a bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

. I'm not sure what enjoyment someone would get from letting their dog bark at the door at other residents.

This is ridiculous paranoia, and probably a big part of your stress

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is ridiculous paranoia, and probably a big part of your stress

How is a dog incessantly barking at a door paranoia? Come to think of it, maybe there is no dog and the barking in my head symbolises something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

is their apartment the same layout as yours?

do you know what is behind the door, is it their living room or a hallway? is the dog being left in their hallway?perhaps you could ask them to keep it in their living area away from the door?

How is a dog incessantly barking at a door paranoia? Come to think of it, maybe there is no dog and the barking in my head symbolises something else.

Read the part I quoted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    This thread is an excellent example of why people would be put off posting on boards.

Someone comes on with a problem and posters have suggested he needs medical help, that there is no problem, that he is a racist, that he has no respect for dog owners, that he doesnt know what he is talking about......etc...

Ah sure that's life, not everyone is raised with manners some are just dragged up through the dirt.

One poster was particularly hostile. I looked into her recent theads and recently she was posting about leaving a window open in her barn. Why she felt the need to get into the thick of it about a Dublin City centre apartment issue is baffling. Must be a slow day on the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Agreed. The helpfulnessiness has passed and the bickering has kicked in, so going to close this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement