Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Should drivers be fined for driving too close to cyclists?

Options

Comments

onmebike wrote: »
    I haven't read The Journal in a very long time because of the comments section. Some percentage are professional trolls, but the comments generally left me feeling sad for society.

I just voted on this anyway and the results are, so far:

So, according to this, the indication is that 58% of respondents think that it's OK or acceptable to drive too close to a cyclist.

Time to leave The Journal again.

The comments section seems to be stacked with George Hook clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm 100 percent infavor of this if it works both ways.
    Has a cyclist got to give me the same room as I have to give them. I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how to respond to this.
    It doesn't take long for these threads to become us against them.

The opening post set the terms for this..cyclists in this country have no repercussions no matter how good, bad or ugly they are. They have no training they have to fulfil in order to use the road and they have no one to track them if they are guilty of being at fault and can flaunt the law due to no accountability.

In my experience they are the worst users of the road. I have had one incident with a cyclist who was all set to sue me due to me simply stopping at a light on a cross road. Now I did stop quickly due to the light going from orange to red and knowing I would of been blocking the cars crossing..this cylcist hit into a van that was parallel to me and then smacked into my mirror nearly taking it completely off..He tumbled and limped to the side of the road..I pulled in above asked if he was ok..He got annoyed said I should not of stopped.. I pointed out that the rules of the road are at red lights you should stop and you should give the vehicle in front of you enough space to allow you to stop..This gob****e tried to go through the red light by overtaking me but hit the van and was trying to say it was my fault. This is where the problem is even if the cyclist is at fault he can still sue. I simply pointed up to the traffic cam and said..bring it on pal as the cam will show all i did was stop and it was his fault..That was 2 years ago and funnily enough I never got a call from a solicitor, yet my broken mirror I had to pay the damage..How the hell is that far. I am all for making sure cyclists are safe but they must pay their own way to use the roads and they should have some kind of training (for their own safety), insurance (for incidents where they are at fault) and tax (as they use the road so they should pay for it as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I'm 100 percent infavor  of this if it works both ways.
    Why 'hope'?
    How much space would you give another car when overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

fliball123 wrote: »
    tax (as they use the road so they should pay for it as well)

Nice story dude, but you lost the debate right there! ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Doesn't make sense? :confused:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    tax (as they use the road so they should pay for it as well)

I always wonder about that argument... What if you don't own a car, do proponents of this believe that all non-car-owning car passengers should pay 'road tax' too? Or does the car owner/driver's road tax cover it? What happens if you regularly don't carry anyone else in your car? Surely you're paying more tax than someone who ferries around 2/3 people... And what about children, are they exempt?

How so?

The opening post set the terms for this..cyclists in this country have no repercussions no matter how good, bad or ugly they are. They have no training they have to fulfil in order to use the road and they have no one to track them if they are guilty of being at fault and can flaunt the law due to no accountability.

In my experience they are the worst users of the road. I have had one incident with a cyclist who was all set to sue me due to me simply stopping at a light on a cross road. Now I did stop quickly due to the light going from orange to red and knowing I would of been blocking the cars crossing..this cylcist hit into a van that was parallel to me and then smacked into my mirror nearly taking it completely off..He tumbled and limped to the side of the road..I pulled in above asked if he was ok..He got annoyed said I should not of stopped.. I pointed out that the rules of the road are at red lights you should stop and you should give the vehicle in front of you enough space to allow you to stop..This gob****e tried to go through the red light by overtaking me but hit the van and was trying to say it was my fault. This is where the problem is even if the cyclist is at fault he can still sue. I simply pointed up to the traffic cam and said..bring it on pal as the cam will show all i did was stop and it was his fault..That was 2 years ago and funnily enough I never got a call from a solicitor, yet my broken mirror I had to pay the damage..How the hell is that far. I am all for making sure cyclists are safe but they must pay their own way to use the roads and they should have some kind of training (for their own safety), insurance (for incidents where they are at fault) and tax (as they use the road so they should pay for it as well)

Anyone can threaten to sue, it doesn't mean they will be successful. If you were so concerned about your mirror at the time why didn't you report it? Just because he is riding a bike doesn't mean he isn't liable for any damage he causes due to negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

they are the worst users of the road. I have had one incident

Generalize much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How so?

Road tax for using the road?

What doesn't make sense
    If I overtake a cyclist or car etc I will give plenty of room.
    When a cyclist overtake s me do they have to give me the same room.

You're lacking in any sort of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No...there should not be a poll to determine if Drivers should be fined for driving too close to cyclists.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No...there should not be a poll to determine if Drivers should be fined for driving too close to cyclists.

Hows about a fine for cyclist who drive to close to cars and breaking red lights?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You're lacking in any sort of logic.

How so

What doesn't make sense
    If I overtake a cyclist or  car etc I will give plenty of room.

No, they don't.

Hows about a fine for cyclist who drive to close to cars and breaking red lights?

No...shouldn't be a Poll on that either!

Fine for breaking lights already exists, cycling to close to a car isn't a offence, and shouldn't be one either.

• Advertisement

What's your point. I'm not talking about road tax or anything similar.

Sorry thought you quoted me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What doesn't make sense
    If I overtake a cyclist or car etc I will give plenty of room.
    let's phrase it this way, it might help you visualise the difference; is a train driving past you equivalent to you walking past a train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Should cyclists be finned for riding three a breast across a major rode and then not moving in?

What's your point. I'm not talking about road tax or anything similar.

Whats yours? i was replying to @filiball123 ???

Should cyclists be finned for riding three a breast across a major rode and then not moving in?
    No.

Whats yours? i was replying to @filiball123 ???

My opoligies. I wrote the same as you quoted. I thought it was me you were quoting

Finned? No definitely not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Finned? No definitely not :D

Think of the aero advantage ;)

As night follows day, it seems Hook opened his show on another rant about cyclists.

• Advertisement

let's phrase it this way, it might help you visualise the difference; is a train driving past you equivalent to you walking past a train?

Bad analogy the train can't move sideways and is very predictable

If I'm driving at 20 mph and overtake a cyclist doing 15 mph there is a certain danger the the cyclist.
    If I'm doing 15 mph and the cyclist is overtaking at 20 mph there is the same danger if not more to the cyclist.
    Why should I have to reduce their danger when I'm overtaking but they don't have reduce their own when they are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement