Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Should drivers be fined for driving too close to cyclists?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So if cars are to be granted the same 1.5 metre space when passing, they all need to be retrofitted with 1.5m wide safety aids?
    As those 1.5 m safety aids would be dangerous they themselves should be fitted with a further set of aids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ronoc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you are just trolling now :rolleyes:

Is there a difference in injuries to a cyclist when car swerves over and drives over the cyclist or When a cyclist swerves over and the car drives over the cyclist. I doubt it matters much. The injuries would be compatible.

Increasing the distance will mean that the error has to be larger to create injury. If a car swerves by 2 ft then it will hit a cyclist that is 2ft away but not they are 4 ft away.

Also calling someone a troll is a great indicator that someone has no valid points left to make

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

quite simple really - if you're trying to visualise what a metre and a half is in relation to a moving cyclist, this is quite close to the actual height of the cyclist. the benchmark is almost built in to the object you're planning to overtake.
    Excellent post. You should direct the new RSA ad!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A more likely scenario is that the line of motor vehicles are been passed out by the bicyclist who is to the left of the road, and you have no choice about the distance you are passing these cars on...i.e the bicyclist has no control...

If the bicyclist has to pass the vehicles on the driver's/right side then they are exposed to extreme danger by passing at 1.5m which will place them in the opposing lane facing oncoming motor vehicles, and due to the lack of motor and low speed of the bicyclist the likely result will be serious injury or death...

I have often been overtaken by cyclist s on the drivers side.
    If you are going to overtake on the right then make sure it is safe to do so. Majesties there is nothing coming
    You have a choice whether you overtake on the left or not. If the gap is too small than its not safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have often been overtaken by cyclist s on the drivers side.
    in what context? slow moving traffic?
    it raises the question - was there enough room on the left to allow the cyclist to pass safely on that side, or was the cyclist in fact in a different lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Moflojo wrote: »
    ...THEY SHOULD HAVE LICENSE PLATES AND INSURANCE AND ROAD TAX.....

i pay that for me car already - no interest in paying the same for my bicycle

in what context? slow moving traffic?
    it raises the question - was there enough room on the left to allow the cyclist to pass safely on that side, or was the cyclist in fact in a different lane?

Once was coming down the hill into clonmel. Cyclist flew past on drivers side. Loads of room on left

A few times on narrow roads or streets where you have to keep near the ditch or footpath , wall. Or else you would be on the other side of the road.

One time a car up a few cars was all the way left and the cyclist went on the right and banged on the window of the car ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Possible but highly unlikely, i'd have to hit the Google machine for a long time to find an instance of that..

Not that unlikely to be honest man. Ive actually seen it happen - to top it off the cyclist had a blue flashing light on their bike which definitely added to the issue.
    Even so, it is still erratic driving of a vehicle, it still caused an accident.
    It is unlikely that a drink driver will knock somone down on some backward country road, but if he is caught doing it he is still in trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

What about the cyclist wearing earphones in heavy traffic.....how can they be aware of what is around them?
    I drive through Ballsbridge / Grand canal st most mornings and evenings..
    I have seen cyclists, on many occasions, swerve to pass more slow moving cyclists and into the path of cars who have had to take evasive action WHILE WEARING EARPHONES.
    Earphones for cyclists should be banned and penalty points given to them on their current or future licence (if they dont have a licence already)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you ever listened to loud music while driving?

• Advertisement

actually, i would just love to see what would happen to cars if all the crazy bat**** rules drivers want imposed on cyclists were imposed universally. all cars must be luminous yellow with no radios, obviously, as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What about the cyclist wearing earphones in heavy traffic.....how can they be aware of what is around them?
    I drive through Ballsbridge / Grand canal st most mornings and evenings..
    I have seen cyclists, on many occasions, swerve to pass more slow moving cyclists and into the path of cars who have had to take evasive action WHILE WEARING EARPHONES.
    Earphones for cyclists should be banned and penalty points given to them on their current or future licence (if they dont have a licence already)

I saw a cyclist do that as well... no helmet and no mudguards NO MUDGUARDS! Geez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're fitted with necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

actually, i would just love to see what would happen to cars if all the crazy bat**** rules drivers want imposed on cyclists were imposed universally. all cars must be luminous yellow with no radios, obviously, as a start.

They did this already! All car drivers have to have a license, all cars have to have a registration plate on the front and the back! They even introduced an NCT test every 4 years and every car has to has insurance.

Apparently this solved all motoring problems! Cars no longer break speed limits, run red lights, park illegally etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Lots of laws and no enforcement make Ireland something something.

Sums up the Republic of Tribunals in 9 words!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Better things to be doing.Anyone who thinks this is worth reopening, please PM me with reasons, after first having read the forum rules and also searching for answers within the forum to the queries they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement