Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for mortgage 2018

Options
  • 22-02-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have a credit union loan of 6000 I am currently paying back 40 a week should I be paying more in order to get my mortgage? Currently saving 1000 a month thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I think it would depend on your income as a whole and what disposable income you have left over.

I got my mortgage with an outstanding loan so it does happen, but I could prove I was paying back double the necessary while also having plenty of income leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

You could continue saving @650 a month and put the remainder into clearing that loan in less than a year (the remaining 350 + 160 already paying off)

Then increase saving back to 1000. Use a broker when applying and then will explain what you did to repay the loan and it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would try to repay the loan over the saving. I chatted to a broker last year when I had a small loan & he plugged some figures in for applying for a mortgage with the loan outstanding and with it paid off. I must say I was really surprised at the difference in the amount I qualified for by paying off the loan. His advice was that if a bank asks & you show you reduced savings to clear a debt, then it will be seen in a positive light as opposed to anything else. He also said that sometimes there can be questions raised if you have a large amount of savings that would cover paying off the loan and a loan outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

The bank will take a rounded look at your finance. You are financially better off paying high interest loans rather than keeping money for low interest savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just to add...

Clear the loan. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement