Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic around Bray

• 22-02-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We are moving to the Bray area in September, 3 children starting in 2 different schools in Bray town. With crazy rental prices however we're thinking there's not a chance we'll be able to afford to live in the town. Looking at areas south like Kilcoole, Delgany, Windgates, Kilmacanogue. But have heard traffic around Bray is a nightmare. How feasible would the commute be from these areas? thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Commute to where? Bray? Dublin city?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Hi Grainne

I guess there are many further questions to be asked, but if you consider Bray to be a long tube, with the openings being North and South Bray. In the mornings both ends will be busy with traffic trying to get out of and into Bray. The ideal would be that the schools your children are to attend are at the same end of Bray, as getting from one end to the other in the morning will be a tough. There are various 'rat-runs' but if you have to cross the river you are stuffed.

As for getting into the city from in or around Bray, you have the Dart, bus, bike and car all depending on where you need to get to and when. I would say the car is the most unpredictable. I go by motorbike and it takes 25 minutes to UCD, but then I do not have to drop kids to school etc.

While my kids are in a school in Bray, there are of course great schools in or near all those locations you have named.

Enjoy and if you need any information on sports and social clubs for the kids do not hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Grarog

Thank you.
    The "commute" would be the school run in to Bray. We work from home. My oldest has a place in a school on the Vevay Road, no places yet for the other two. Ok that's good to know about proximity of schools.
    Thanks for the offer of advice Wally, I see you answered my other post on the education thread also, could I PM you and ask you some stuff? thanks

The commute from those places can be tough enough once you hit Bray. If they are in school in the vevay then maybe look at places in Delgany, Kilmac, Windgates near the 184 bus route. Kilcoole would be on the 84 bus route which wouldnt be as good at all. If you're near a bus route then you can encourage independence and you dont have the school run yourself.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Also depends which school it is - there are many schools on the Vevay Road and some aren't as bad as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I would consider traffic around vevay road at school time, both morning and afternoon as mental. It's a long road with at least 4 primary schools, a secondary school, and 2 other secondary schools around the corner, and there's very little parking. Tesco adds to the traffic too. Traffic is also incredibly heavy coming into bray from the greystones road and the n11 at morning school times. It might be an idea to come out some morning at school times to see what you think.

I agree with cakerbaker here. The school traffic can be horrendous.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement