Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So there was wasn't any new games at this event? Minecraft on a PS 3? Not even a ps4 version LOL! No switch? And loads of two year old games? Why would you even bother? Sounds like a right sambles of an event and also sounds like the organiser didn't have a clue what he was at.

I don't know..I guessed it was mostly a combination of parents with little darlings who just had to see the youbetube celebrities and cosplayers who'd show up at anything so long as they can wear their party outfits

call me a cynic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Is anyone really surprised by all this? It was just another crap spectacular rip off Ireland production.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 FatFreddy22

The Irish are seen as a soft touch for rip-off merchants. If this was France, the building would have been stormed and the organisers guillotined.

There needs to be some sort of consumer protection to stop these moneygrab events. Some review of the licensing procedure to ensure adequate facilities have been provided.
    This cram as many people in bollox needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cant see anywhere on the Gamercon website issuing refunds? Is it a case of going through my bank......?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Glebee

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cant see anywhere on the Gamercon website issuing refunds? Is it a case of going through my bank......?

https://gamer-con.com/tickets/

This wording has changed again this morning. The keep moving the goal posts it seems. Time to get out the pitch forks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

MvsC3 wrote: »
    ...then some emulators, son got to play Mario kart 64 for about ten mins, Mario 1 on nes,...

For such a big convention having an emulator + ROM(s) setup is a legal faux pas (I think).

I'm curious though, how did you know it was an emulator? Was it running RetroPie or anything that you could see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I didn't go but from reading the comments here I could have had a better con by inviting a few of the lads over to mine and have our consoles, PCs and my retropie running while having a few cans and snacks.

Best of luck with the refunds, such a pity it turned out so badly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

me_irl wrote: »
    For such a big convention having an emulator + ROM(s) setup is a legal faux pas (I think).

I'm curious though, how did you know it was an emulator? Was it running RetroPie or anything that you could see?

Flat out illegal actually and if it was Nintendo stuff running on it you'd be running the risk of legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Shiminay wrote: »
    The fact that the organiser threatened people who raised concerns ahead of time with legal action and then went on to produce this shtshow is telling.

Who did he threaten to sue and how far did he go (ie, just comments or did he have legal letters sent?). I hope people threatened go public in the media today.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

oceanclub wrote: »
    Who did he threaten to sue and how far did he go (ie, just comments or did he have legal letters sent?). I hope people threatened go public in the media today.

P.

Could only find these screenshots from the lads Twitter a/c.

The Murtaugh fella's tweets sounded like he had a vendetta. Or just wants to create some drama... Wouldn't surprise me with the state of modern youtubers / gaming.

https://twitter.com/WilltheMurt/status/843157968162119681

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Its saying if your ticket was scanned for entry you wont be getting a refund! Joke.. I had family ticket but just went with my eldest lad Sunday as there was no way the Misses was bringing the youngest after the chaos of Saturday!

Got there at 8.30 got in in about 15 mins pure rip off to que for everything no staff or organisation.. By chance we were in the auditorium when the you tubers were on stage and one of them said her boyfriend was in the crowd, another youtuber, my son noticed him and went over a got pictures he was actually sound and made my sons day! but at €85 for a family ticket absolutely ridiculous..

I made a complaint at customer service, nice women also told me to email gamercon Im just looking for partial refund but doubt Id hear anything back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I didn't go but from reading the comments here I could have had a better con by inviting a few of the lads over to mine and have our consoles, PCs and my retropie running while having a few cans and snacks.

Best of luck with the refunds, such a pity it turned out so badly.

Funny you should mention this, we drove from Dublin to Tipp yesterday and more or less planned out a better con on the way home than the mess we had been to, and the plan we came up with more or less revolves around organic growth, and not trying to do all the things on your first rodeo.

Everything was promised- i read an interview with Ferdi on irishtechnews from November last year where such things as first views, some early access previews and some first plays from the major studios were promised, and none of it delivered on. Interestingly one of the partners listed back then was Creative, who also were nowhere to be seen, much like Logitech- there has to have been something more to that than simply lacking floor space, as if it were floor planned any way correctly there was room for everything there, the missing two and more.

Simply put, i don't believe you necessarily have to have big game experience to play in a big game, but you sure as sh!t get some practise in first and don't just run on to the field unprepared, and this is what happened at GamerCon: It was oversold, no question; Even if it was only sold for capacity it was completely understaffed inside; Mismanagement of the queues outside, and nobody inside knowing exactly what protocol was. This should have been sold as something to build on, not the absolute max from the off- 75% ticket sales with a 25% walk up, 1 in 10 as VIP and give a lanyard for quick detection, timed game seating- trying to be fair to everyone by limiting play time to 15/30 minutes, depending on the game. There's plenty of other things that could be done but it's a small sampling.

I think GamerCon, could be rescued, but not under current management. Unfortunately anything that has Ferdi's name attached will be toxic now, and while i sympathise because i'm sure there were a certain amount of good intentions, he really only has himself to blame, because he is the face of the whole thing and until i am told otherwise, the book stops with him. I feel a different event, ran correctly, and allowed to build over time, would be a far more attractive proposition for the gaming community as a whole and it's certainly something that i would be willing to get involved in if it were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

me_irl wrote: »
    Could only find these screenshots from the lads Twitter a/c.

Ah, I'd seen those but was wondering were there any more and any related just to criticism.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

They're going to discussing it on 4FM today at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this was a twitter entry about the length of the queue

C7Sz4zBXwAAQoRu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Skerries wrote: »
    this was a twitter entry about the length of the queue
    The red circle is where they were letting people in. The part between the two buildings Park Lane, the queue went the whole length of the Convention centre building right down to the road (at the bottom of the pic), and then looped back up that lane along by PWC. On Saturday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That's not even fully accurate either. Between the two buildings, you were snaked back on yourself three times with barriers.
    Not single file either. There were groups three, four and five wide.

This is what I joined on Saturday. After about two hours we were about half way which is when we gave up.
    wjs7woQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Anyone who got into the event applying for a refund? Doubt I'll get it but am thinking about it anyway. If everyone does maybe something will happen. Might make this con artist unemployable. not sure how to word it. "It was shoite" might not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vinyslpinners

What a great event and a credit, very pleased with the tour around the building. I have to admit it was nice to stop and admire the view! I don't think there is anything I can say at all on this that hasn't been covered, for reading reference check the CSGo subreddit, disaster altogether. For your lite reading pleasure: http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gamercon-founder-defends-convention-after-12766230

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Have a listen over on 4fm.

Some women saying her hair and makeup was done and couldn't hack that in the rain :D

My god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Some women saying her hair and makeup was done and couldn't hack that in the rain :D

My god

Sigh, putting this rubbish on the air when there are so many people with genuine grievances.

I expect Liveline will be much of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

My god

While it is, no doubt, an ignorant comment from someone on Ireland in mid-March you need to also be appreciative that Cosplay was promoted and encouraged and having to wait for hours would make people somewhat sympathetic to the comments. Also relevant if their children were dressed up.

She was talking about her cosplay to be fair. Good listen though, let the hiding commence whatever way you wanna take that! I can't wait to hear the good experience callers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

While it is, no doubt, anot ignorant comment from someone on Ireland in mid-March you need to also be appreciative that Cosplay was promoted and encouraged and having to wait for hours would make people somewhat sympathetic to the comments.

This wasn't anyone in cosplay. She went with the kid. But i can understand that alright.

Edit: sorry didn't hear say anything about cosplay. Didn't here her mention that??? She did. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

This wasn't anyone in cosplay. She went with the kid. But i can understand that alright.

Oh, right. I'm not listening so wasn't aware she explicitly stated it wasn't Cosplay.

She was talking about her cosplay to be fair. Good listen though, let the hiding commence whatever way you wanna take that! I can't wait to hear the good experience callers!

That makes a difference alright from a bit of whinging. Hair and make up for cosplay can take hours for more elaborate work.

Edit: sorry didn't hear say anything about cosplay. Didn't here her mention that.

Could have sworn she said that, I think that queue frazzled me though !

Refund without the booking charge if through Eventbrite. Paypal refund meant to be better. I was seeing another Stardust with this event to be honest.

Refund without the booking charge if through Eventbrite. Paypal refund meant to be better. I was seeing another Stardust with this event to be honest.

Well thats to be expected, the booking charge is Eventbrites cut and is separate from the ticket price.

• Advertisement

To be honest though, I'm just disappointed that it tarnishes any attempt in the future. Some great things going on around the country this doesn't help at all.

Advertisement