Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I live in a border village, can I buy home heating oil from a NI company?

Options
  • 22-02-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

This might be highly illegal, but I noticed the prices for home heating oil are obviously much cheaper across the border.

Would a NI company be able to deliver an order of oil to us just across the border, or is there some sort of VAT/Duty obligation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

This might be highly illegal, but I noticed the prices for home heating oil are obviously much cheaper across the border.

Would a NI company be able to deliver an order of oil to us just across the border, or is there some sort of VAT/Duty obligation?

You live in a border village in Louth. There is no law

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No is the short answer.
    No oil company is allowed to deliver to you.

You can bring your own over if you want, but only in certain quantities. Its very common where I live. Many people bring it over in 20 litre drums.

Brexit will put an end to that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We have a good few of those 20l plastic drums that the old owner left behind. Might be worth filling one up each time we go shopping, which is usually once a week.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Does anyone know roughly what the price would be for 20l?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

it would depend on the supplier... i got 2 containers at a well known border place for €23 about 1 month ago... not sure if its gone up since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The current price up here in Derry is between 37.9p per litre and 44p per litre.

I usually take down 100 litres every couple of weeks, as the supplier makes you sign for anything over 100 litres.

To be honest, I am not sure what the law is regarding bringing down heating oil for your own use, if there are any limits on it. I'm sure there are.

Perhaps someone could enlighten us?

Advertisement