Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something wrong with my computer's internet, not sure what. Help? :(

• 22-02-2017 11:56am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals,

My home computer seems to have gone on the fritz in the last week. Long story short, the wifi won't stay connected, is getting harder and harder to reconnect to and is causing problems. I'm not really sure where to begin, but this is what I can say for definite.

I usually use Chrome for surfing the web. I started noticing the problem when Chrome would randomly crash. When it did, the computer would lose the ability to find any wireless signals. (Everything else in the house works, so I can say for certain that it's a computer problem, not a router one or the likes; we have multiple devices that are working at 100%).

So I started trying to figure was it a Chrome issue. Tried reinstalling Chrome, but didn't fix the issue. Tried restoring my computer to a date two weeks before the issue started, but that didn't work either.

I did run a McAfee virus check in safe mode, but it showed no problems.

I stopped using Chrome and switched to Firefox, but the problem has persisted; Firefox doesn't crash, but the wifi signal will vanish

Sometimes, I can use the troubleshooting option on the wireless network center to "fix" the problem, wherein it tells me there's an issue where it "resets the wiresless adapter". IF that works, it usually only does for a few moments before it goes again.

It's now got to the stage where I can barely get online on it at all. So I've come here for help.

I'm thinking something has happened the wireless card but not 100% certain. Is there any tests or such people can recommend that will give me clues as to how to fix the issue? I can buy a new wireless card but honestly don't have much experience with the hardware end of computers, nor the money to splash on one if I'm not sure it's a solution.

Can answer any questions you guys have, but would really, really appreciate the help cause I use the computer a lot for work (I run an ecommerce store so its vital). Thanks guys and gals :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Escapees

Understand you think it's not a router issue but would still recommend restarting router (e.g.switch off/on or plug out/in again) if this is something that isn't done very often... Can sometimes be cause of problems with specific devices and have seen Chrome crash many times when internet connectivity drops or is very very poor.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd also restart the router, and also check the bands your router is broadcasting on. I had an issue with my Virgin Media modem. It's default configuration broadcasts on the 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency with the same network name, which was causing issues with older devices.

I'd also reset Chrome to default settings if it's crashing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Escapees wrote: »
    Understand you think it's not a router issue but would still recommend restarting router (e.g.switch off/on or plug out/in again) if this is something that isn't done very often... Can sometimes be cause of problems with specific devices and have seen Chrome crash many times when internet connectivity drops or is very very poor.
    MarkR wrote: »
    I'd also restart the router, and also check the bands your router is broadcasting on. I had an issue with my Virgin Media modem. It's default configuration broadcasts on the 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency with the same network name, which was causing issues with older devices.

I'd also reset Chrome to default settings if it's crashing.

I'll try turning the router off and on, but as I said, there's been zero issues on any other devices in the house; that's 2 laptops, 2 games consoles, 4 tablets and 3 phones. All of which work perfectly, across both 2.4 and 5 ghz (we did have an issue last year where 2.4 stopped working, so that did come to mind, but that issue hit multiple devices).

Certainly doesn't hurt to try though, to eliminate it off the list of possibilities. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gunt

What's the specs of your computer/network adapter?

Is it an external wireless receiver or an internal wireless card?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Internal wireless card.

Where would I find the specs? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

My home computer seems to have gone on the fritz in the last week. Long story short, the wifi won't stay connected, is getting harder and harder to reconnect to and is causing problems. I'm not really sure where to begin, but this is what I can say for definite.

I usually use Chrome for surfing the web. I started noticing the problem when Chrome would randomly crash. When it did, the computer would lose the ability to find any wireless signals. (Everything else in the house works, so I can say for certain that it's a computer problem, not a router one or the likes; we have multiple devices that are working at 100%).

So I started trying to figure was it a Chrome issue. Tried reinstalling Chrome, but didn't fix the issue. Tried restoring my computer to a date two weeks before the issue started, but that didn't work either.

I did run a McAfee virus check in safe mode, but it showed no problems.

I stopped using Chrome and switched to Firefox, but the problem has persisted; Firefox doesn't crash, but the wifi signal will vanish

Sometimes, I can use the troubleshooting option on the wireless network center to "fix" the problem, wherein it tells me there's an issue where it "resets the wiresless adapter". IF that works, it usually only does for a few moments before it goes again.

It's now got to the stage where I can barely get online on it at all. So I've come here for help.

I'm thinking something has happened the wireless card but not 100% certain. Is there any tests or such people can recommend that will give me clues as to how to fix the issue? I can buy a new wireless card but honestly don't have much experience with the hardware end of computers, nor the money to splash on one if I'm not sure it's a solution.

Can answer any questions you guys have, but would really, really appreciate the help cause I use the computer a lot for work (I run an ecommerce store so its vital). Thanks guys and gals :)

Borrow or buy an external WiFi adapter and see if that works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Internal wireless card.

Hit:
    WinKey + X
    then M

to get the device manager. Under network adapters there may be 2-4 entries, one is your WLAN card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Something like this happens my wife's computer every so often. Whenever Windows 8, and now 10, updated, some power settings kept getting defaulted, which allowed the Wi-Fi card to go to sleep, which it did every few seconds. I can't remember the steps to fix off hand, but I did find a solution on Google at the time. It's very frustrating.

Also, test the signal strength using a phone app where your laptop is usually positioned. Probably not the issue, but it never fails to be thorough.

Set up a wired connection. That'll allow you to identify or rule out if the issue is with your wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gunt

Internal wireless card.

What operating system are you running? Windows/Apple/Linux?

Are you able to connect your computer directly to the router via an ethernet cable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement