Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best website for English-Irish translations

Options
  • 22-02-2017 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Any Irish teachers there who could tell me the best website for translating English to Irish words and also possibly give pronunciation for the Irish words.

Also, can you suggest any good websites to help my 2nd Year child who is struggling with the higher level JC course.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Teanglann.ie is your best bet for translations.

There are a lot of sticky parts to the Jc course, I wouldn't be too concerned if they find the unseen prose and poetry hard, they aren't worth a lot of marks. For essays and letters, I'd say learn lots of nice phrases and make sure they have the tenses learned well, especially the irregular verbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The problem is it is difficult to do direct translations. Many moons ago, I had a great Irish teacher whose mantra was 'If you can't say it simply, then don't keep trying'.

Sometimes there are easier ways to say things in Irish. Sure, if you translated my essays in sixth year, many of them may have sounded like they were dictated by a five year old, but the grammar was correct. If your daughter can recognise and learn how to simplify what she wants to say, it will make things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

www.focloir.ie is very good, it gives pronunciation for each dialect for many words, so click on the C for Connacht ( and Leinster) ,u for ulster or m for Munster pronunciation.
    Also underneath you will see lots of phrases using that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Alsi in case you don't know, all past exams (including listening comprehensions) are on examinations.ie, with marking schemes.
    It is good practice to do the listening comprehensions at home, listen as many times as he likes until he gets the answer .

Advertisement