Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging media hub to Archer C7 with homeplugs

• 22-02-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have the new Virgin media hub modem/router in my living room and want to bridge it to a tplink Archer C7 in the attic room with homeplugs. If I connect the homeplug to Internet in on the Archer C7 in Bridge mode, will anything connected to the Archer C7 (both ethernet and wireless) appear on the same network as things connected to the media hub? I'll be using Chromecasts, PS tvs, media pcs etc. at both locations and want everything to talk to each other. Also I want to connect my phone to the Archer when I'm in the attic so there's no drop in speed. I'll use a different ssid for the Archer. Is all of this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

If you are only using two homeplugs to provide a bridge between the Virgin Media modem and your Archer C7 then yes it will work. If you're looking to have other devices connect via homeplug then it WON'T work (or won't work properly).
    VM LAN1 --> HP1
    > HP2 --> C7 WAN --> (Everything connecting wired or wirelessly via the C7)

Note you are limiting the max bandwidth of the Virgin Media line to whatever the two homeplugs can sync it. If the homeplugs can only sync at 50Mb then that's all you're going to get out to your devices regardless of how fast your broadband in may be.

You might get much better performance if the Archer was connected directly by Cat5e/Cat6 cable into the LAN port of the cablemodem.
    AC wifi could reasonably deliver 100Mb+ out to wireless devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

PAKNET wrote: »
    If you are only using two homeplugs to provide a bridge between the Virgin Media modem and your Archer C7 then yes it will work. If you're looking to have other devices connect via homeplug then it WON'T work (or won't work properly).
    VM LAN1 --> HP1
    > HP2 --> C7 WAN --> (Everything connecting wired or wirelessly via the C7)

Note you are limiting the max bandwidth of the Virgin Media line to whatever the two homeplugs can sync it. If the homeplugs can only sync at 50Mb then that's all you're going to get out to your devices regardless of how fast your broadband in may be.

You might get much better performance if the Archer was connected directly by Cat5e/Cat6 cable into the LAN port of the cablemodem.
    AC wifi could reasonably deliver 100Mb+ out to wireless devices.

Thanks for that. The homeplugs are 200Mbps but I'm planning on getting gigabit ones in the next few weeks. I presume wireless and hardwired devices connected directly to the hub won't be affected by the connection of the Archer? They won't be slowed down or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The homeplugs are 200Mbps but I'm planning on getting gigabit ones in the next few weeks. I presume wireless and hardwired devices connected directly to the hub won't be affected by the connection of the Archer? They won't be slowed down or anything?
    If you bridge the Virgin modem you won't be able to connect anything else into it bar the C7. Everything on your network must go through the C7 - wired and wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It seems like every day we have a new user confused by bridging. :pac:

OP you do not want to bridge.

What you want is the Archer in Access Point mode and it just linked to the virgin hub remaining as your router.

Even Gigabit Homeplugs probably wont give you 200Mb, more like 150Mb. The speed on the box is not the speed you get.

Advertisement