Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CARD skimmed or am I being paranoid?

• 22-02-2017 12:46pm

So I just got back from a shop and I canceled my card and I want to know was I being paranoid? I went to pay for my purchases with my debit card (debit card terminal was in the cashiers hand) but the cashier took my card held it by its edges and quite quickly dropped her hand and the card to her side she then brought the card back up and I continued the transaction. Can a card be skimmed this quickly and easily or am I reading too much into it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Probably being paranoid.

if you have an android phone, with NFC you can download an app called "card reader"

if you have a contactless card you can place it against your phone and it will read all the information on the card.

give it a go and see how long it takes to get your data...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,079 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best cancel if in doubt, skimming devices are tiny and just require one pass over the magnetic strip to get the data from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

Don't cancel it.

Check your bank account a few times a day. If there's any suspicious payments made cancel it then and go to the guards. There'll also be video footage from the shop to back up the story.

Or play it safe and cancel immediately.

Advertisement