Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Book/VRC

• 22-02-2017 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if in the wrong place!

Last Monday I bought a used car from a dealership - 03 Ford, good condition.

They sent off the change of ownership stuff to the motor tax office last Tuesday 14th, and the motor tax website said that the new VRC is issued on the 15th last Wednesday. The dealership said it would be posted straight out to me, but I've yet to receive it. Can't tax or NCT the car until I have it, so am wondering if it usually takes a full week or am I being impatient? Should I be collecting it somewhere rather??

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only thing I can think of is that if it was issued on the 15th and hasn't arrived yet is that it either got lost in the post or they were given the incorrect address by the dealer.

However you should be able to tax the car online if the car is now in your name. Just request a new PIN. Also you can still NCT the car but if they look for the log book then they won't issue the pass sheet until you come back with it. Alot of NCT centres don't ask for it so worth going ahead with booking it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

bazz26 wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is that if it was issued on the 15th and hasn't arrived yet is that it either got lost in the post or they were given the incorrect address by the dealer.

However you should be able to tax the car online if the car is now in your name. Just request a new PIN. Also you can still NCT the car but if they look for the log book then they won't issue the pass sheet until you come back with it. Alot of NCT centres don't ask for it so worth going ahead with booking it anyway.

Many thanks for that.

Tried requesting a pin, and using the chassis number as the pin and no luck. Checked the status of the change of ownership again on the motor tax website, and now it's saying:

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 20/02/2017

Notified on : 20/02/2017
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 15/02/2017

No idea what to do if they think that my car is still in a dealership, tried calling and no luck, both my local motor tax office and the offices down in Shannon. Such a pain in the backside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That to me would suggest that a new logbook was issued on 15/02 but it's in the dealer's name since 20/02 which is why you cannot request a new PIN.

Are you certain the dealer changed it over? Most of them can do it online these days, it's possible they muddled it up. I'd ask them to reconfirm with Shannon that it is changed over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Same thing happened mine, I bought it on the 11th of Jan this year, only received the log book on Thursday last in the post. Basically the seller put it in their name to tax the car for a few months for me in person. 2 days later they got the log book and sent it straight back with my details on it. Maybe the same happened in your case??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Same with myself. Bought the car on the 17/1, didnt put the right info on it, so got sent back to the lad i bought it off. Only got the logbook yesterday, but was able to tax it last week as the car was in my name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement