Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Insurance

Options
  • 22-02-2017 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all.

I just brought a camper conversion in from the UK yesterday. It's a medium roof Transit. It was registered as a camper in the UK. I'm just in the process of getting insurance and it seems I've hit a snag, both Dolmen and Stewart's require the interior height the be a minimum of 1.8m. Mine is just 1.6m. It has everything else required for registration as a camper, I'm confident it will get camper status with the VRT, but the camper insurance seems to be an issue.

Can anyone advise a way around this? Or an alternative company that will insure it as a camper.

Thanks in advance. Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

p_oneill wrote: »
    Hi all.

I just brought a camper conversion in from the UK yesterday. It's a medium roof Transit. It was registered as a camper in the UK. I'm just in the process of getting insurance and it seems I've hit a snag, both Dolmen and Stewart's require the interior height the be a minimum of 1.8m. Mine is just 1.6m. It has everything else required for registration as a camper, I'm confident it will get camper status with the VRT, but the camper insurance seems to be an issue.

Can anyone advise a way around this? Or an alternative company that will insure it as a camper.

Thanks in advance. Paul

Easiest way if its a proper conversion is join the motorhome club, if its a 'stealth', 'day van' 'racevan' style yoke they wont want it in the club though. If you get refused insurance get it in writing and you can force your current insurer to insure it via the insurance federation.

Also the revenue will probably tell you its supposed to be 1.8m too but they just lost a court case about it so press on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianv

Hi P

Just wondering how you got on ? I am in a similar position my van is 1.7m high with no passage way from front to back.

Did you get insurance

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 16 p_oneill

Hi Ian.

I sure did, the Motor Caravan Club insured me. http://motorcaravanclub.com/ In your/ our position you have to do the following:

1. Get an engineers report from one of their engineers so that they are satisfied it is up to their standards. Bear in mind their standards are way higher than the VRT crown. Your electrics will have to be properly and safely set up, gas has to be room sealed and vented through the floor, all the usual stuff then as well like a bed, eating area, fixed cooking facilities etc...they'll give you all the info but the engineer they use is a very nice guy called Killian. It's €100 to get Killian's report.

2. You have to have 5 years no claims I think. If you don't there's some sort of additional application or the likes. I didn't have to go through it because I had 7 or 8 years or something.

3. You have to pay their annual membership fee which is €80. Their typical insurance is also slightly dearer that other in the market but you do get the additional benefit of being allowed to drive your van as your every day vehicle, something the other companies do not allow.

I think that is everything. As long as your conversion is good I would imagine they will accept you. Give them a call and let me know how you get on. The owner is an older guy called Bill. He seems very stand offish and sceptical at first but he's a nice man. He said he gets all sorts trying to insure "campervans" with them when really they are just a berlingo with a mattress in the back, that's why he's always suspicious about who he his talking to initially.

Hope it all goes well.
    Paul

Advertisement