Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get a pair of 5 speed wheels

Options
  • 22-02-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

My Uncle has tasked me with fixing up his old Raleigh Royal which is hanging up since 1980s. The wheels are well past it and they have a 5 speed block. No joy from the usual online places so any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rothar maybe in Phibsboro and Fade Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=22&start=35

lfgss classified

pm @Brendan hennessey on here maybe

Enjoy climbing in 50-24 or whatever the low gear is!

The rear spacing on hub is typically 126mm, so you can source wheels with that spacing or cold set to change to 130mm (or get good lbs to do it) to take modern wheels.

Completely destroy it then by fitting a modern compact with ht11 bb, but at least your uncle will ride it then!

I'm not sure but you could probably run 6/7 speed also with your friction shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

http://www.firecloudcycles.co.uk/ sell 5/6 speed freewheels and other old parts, might be worth a look. Also Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

ford2600 wrote: »

The rear spacing on hub is typically 126mm.

Could be 120mm on a 5speed so cold setting would be riskier (10mm from 120mm to 130mm)
    worth measuring either way so you are looking for right wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

said bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

is worth fixing its as rough as a bear bin job for that u ll pick up a cheap enough bike with out putting loads of money into it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jacob2 wrote: »
    is worth fixing its as rough as a bear bin job for that u ll pick up a cheap enough bike with out putting loads of money into it

+1 unless it's got some sentimental value, or you particularly like fixing things up. You could end up spending a couple hundred on parts and at the end you'll still have a fairly crappy bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

the wheels don't look too bad, the freewheel block and chain do, could replace them cheaply enough (try adverts) but might need a specific freewheel tool to remove the old one (try LBS)

Give it a clean up, then check for serious rust on frame and decide if its worth the effort. Scrunched up tin foil and oil/water will clean up lightly rusted metal/chrome parts pretty well. Inside the fork doesn't look great from those pics though.

Good reasons to push for a newer model. Think I saw the newer version or the Royal online (Evans?) for about €600 too

Dunno if I'd trust wheels that have been hanging for more than a decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Dunno if I'd trust wheels that have been hanging for more than a decade

Tony. Are the wheels running fairly true. As said above they look in good nick. New bearings and as said above Tinfoil would go along way.
    I have brought Pre1970 High Nelly wheels back to life.
    10 years is not long by Retro Bike terms.
    How much work will the bike do.

It wont be put under major stress to be fair. he'll be using it mainly for cycling into work from Blackrock to Sandyford so flat and decent enough roads. I'll tackle the block etc this week and let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Observations from the photos:

If the spoke nipples are seized, then the wheels aren't worth using, but if they're still moveable, then re-grease the hubs (the grease will have dried up, and won't be a lubricant any more).

The chain and block are toast, replacements are still widely available, (if you don't mind "upgrading" to a six-speed block - no issue as the bike doesn't have indexed gears). "8-speed" chain is actually the size also used on 7,6 & 5-speed set-ups (½" x 3/32"). You can sort out any required axle (re-)spacing quite easily, as mentioned above.

The wheels are probably 27" (ERTRO 32-630) rather than 700c (ERTRO 32-622) - Schwalbe make a gumwall tyre with basic puncture protection in that size, but if you don't mind black sidewalls, they make their Marathon tyre in that size, which has really good puncture protection.

That Brooks B-17 saddle is too brittle to use - it'll crack and tear if you try - time for a new one (it's also past rejuvenation with Proofide).

Advertisement