Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing fork from very old bike

Options
  • 22-02-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi there,
    I'm restoring a New Hudson bike. The bike is between 70 and 90 years old.
    I've loosened the stem bolts and lock nut, which i thought would free up the fork so i could pull it out, but it's not going any where.
    Would any one have any suggestions?!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I am doing something similar with an early 1990's Peugeot.
    More force required in my case as everything was seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I've done a few High Nelly's. . WD40 ( or some equivalent) and Time. I've had to keep at Handlebars for a few days. Heat gun will help if you have access to one.

If your Handlebars are beyond use. Put them back in and tap from the top.

Dandyeleven is a mine of information on restoration. Maybe send him a pm.

any pics of the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

ciaranhuz wrote: »
    ...I've loosened the stem bolts and lock nut...

If you've loosened the stem bolt, did you knock it down, to loosen the wedge at the bottom of the stem? (quill stems are very different than A-head ones, and not everyone knows the differences, but apologies if you do).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ciaranhuz

Type 17 wrote: »
    If you've loosened the stem bolt, did you knock it down, to loosen the wedge at the bottom of the stem? (quill stems are very different than A-head ones, and not everyone knows the differences, but apologies if you do).

Yep, i knocked it down and it loosened the wedge, but it didn't free up the front fork, despite hours of pulling, hammering, fxxxing and blinding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

ciaranhuz wrote: »
    Yep, i knocked it down and it loosened the wedge, but it didn't free up the front fork, despite hours of pulling, hammering, fxxxing and blinding!

Fair enough, time to soak it in diesel or other methods mentioned above. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ciaranhuz

Type 17 wrote: »
    Fair enough, time to soak it in diesel or other methods mentioned above. :(
    Ya, that may be my best option now.
    I heard vinegar is meant to help with freeing up metal that has corroding into each other, so i might give that a go too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Drop of Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

70 -90 years old makes it a genuine New Hudson (not a post Raleigh buy out branded one) thats alot of History and Rust. Give it the time to soak in everything google gives you. It will be worth it.

Advertisement