Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comfortable cars

• 22-02-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I have just passed the driving test and have a full license on the way. I have checked a few insurance sites and, purely for the craic, checked how much a Scirocco would be to insure. Essentially uninsurable for me right now :pac:

The only car I really have driven for any amount of time has been an old Fiat Punto. Great nippy little cars but not very comfortable. A lot of my friends have new-ish Golfs and I am always surprised how comfortable they are. Now maybe its just the fact that the Punto is extremely light so any bigger car would be pretty standard.

What sort of options do I have? I think a Golf would be too expensive to insure (Plus I think I would wrap it around a tree; no point getting a very nice/powerful car as a first car with little experience!). My instructors car was a new Yaris and I wasn't overly impressed with it tbh. Just a few models to hone in on before I go through the arduous task of ringing insurance companies many times over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

You have the likes of Yaris, Punto, Corsa, Polo, Fiesta in one class

Next class up Corolla/Auris, Astra, Golf, Focus

Next up again Avensis, Insignia, Passat, Mondeo, getting into the comfortable cruisers here.

Newish driver, you will have to stick to first 2 groups I would imagine.

Then you have the SUVs which are a higher driving position, some people love this position.

What you find comfortable someone else might not.

Find a car with a driver's seat that you sit IN rather than sit ON would be my advice, not sure which cars have them though to be honest, try a few out. Probably group 2 above. Don't worry about too much power in the golf, it's not a rocketship you will be fine if you do get one.

My car seat is definitely a sit in type of seat, it has back and side bolsters etc... I hate being in the girlfriends Clio it's like you just sit on the seat and have no support at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

bmwguy wrote: »
    You have the likes of Yaris, Punto, Corsa, Polo, Fiesta in one class

Next class up Corolla/Auris, Astra, Golf, Focus

Next up again Avensis, Insignia, Passat, Mondeo, getting into the comfortable cruisers here.

Newish driver, you will have to stick to first 2 groups I would imagine.

Then you have the SUVs which are a higher driving position, some people love this position.

What you find comfortable someone else might not.

Find a car with a driver's seat that you sit IN rather than sit ON would be my advice, not sure which cars have them though to be honest, try a few out. Probably group 2 above. Don't worry about too much power in the golf, it's not a rocketship you will be fine if you do get one.

My car seat is definitely a sit in type of seat, it has back and side bolsters etc... I hate being in the girlfriends Clio it's like you just sit on the seat and have no support at all.

Great response, thanks!

I have actually driven my parents Mondeo once or twice and, while comfortable, its just too big for my needs or what I would even want. So certainly your group 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Seat Leon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Renaults tend to be comfortable. Even the small ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just throwing this out there OP, but why change the car so soon? Puntos are extremely cheap to run, if there are repairs needed you can get parts from brakers, not too powerful etc. I'd build up my no claims first and then opt for something a little higher up the line.

You can get a higher spec Punto - the ELX would have lots of electrics and comfier seats. There is the "sporting" option too.

I know it's not what you asked but I'm just putting it all in a little context is all.

Good luck with your decision either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

everlast75 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there OP, but why change the car so soon? Puntos are extremely cheap to run, if there are repairs needed you can get parts from brakers, not too powerful etc. I'd build up my no claims first and then opt for something a little higher up the line.

You can get a higher spec Punto - the ELX would have lots of electrics and comfier seats. There is the "sporting" option too.

I know it's not what you asked but I'm just putting it all in a little context is all.

Good luck with your decision either way

You might be right here.

All the insurance quotes I am getting online for anything is 2800+ really so could be best to stick with Punto :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Hi guys,

Plus I think I would wrap it around a tree; no point getting a very nice/powerful car as a first car with little experience!
    You're just as likely to wrap a basic car around a tree as a "powerful" one. They go 100km/h as well, and if you misjudge a slippery corner half of that is enough to land you in a ditch. Where I come from, 150PS is considered sensible and small and accidents are still not more common than in Ireland (and it's certainly not because they drive better). It all comes down to how people drive, not to the size or power of an engine. IMHO.
    Having said that, when you say your old Fiat Punto is uncomfortable, I'd blame that on the age, rather than the car. I'm driving rentals 3-5 times a year and always end up with a "Polo" sized car, and I can't recall having one that wasn't comfortable. I've had a Seat Ibiza, Audi A1, VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Opel Corsa, Nissan Micra, Smart ForFour (horrible car, but not uncomfortable) and probably a few more I don't recall. Haven't been in a Fiat in ages though. If you want something of that size I'd go for a Polo (or A1 if you have the money), if you don't like look of them then a Seat Ibiza or a Skodia Fabia.
    Anyway just test drive them. Doesn't hurt.
    Unless you're a guy you might want to check out its4women, they were the only ones doing a good deal for my missus on her first car. Don't remember how much that was, but certainly less than 2800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    You're just as likely to wrap a basic car around a tree as a "powerful" one. They go 100km/h as well, and if you misjudge a slippery corner half of that is enough to land you in a ditch. Where I come from, 150PS is considered sensible and small and accidents are still not more common than in Ireland (and it's certainly not because they drive better). It all comes down to how people drive, not to the size or power of an engine. IMHO.
    Having said that, when you say your old Fiat Punto is uncomfortable, I'd blame that on the age, rather than the car. I'm driving rentals 3-5 times a year and always end up with a "Polo" sized car, and I can't recall having one that wasn't comfortable. I've had a Seat Ibiza, Audi A1, VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Opel Corsa, Nissan Micra, Smart ForFour (horrible car, but not uncomfortable) and probably a few more I don't recall. Haven't been in a Fiat in ages though. If you want something of that size I'd go for a Polo (or A1 if you have the money), if you don't like look of them then a Seat Ibiza or a Skodia Fabia.
    Anyway just test drive them. Doesn't hurt.
    Unless you're a guy you might want to check out its4women, they were the only ones doing a good deal for my missus on her first car. Don't remember how much that was, but certainly less than 2800.

Is it not illegal under EU law now to have a different quote for men or women if same details.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

You could always keep the Punto, and swap the seats for something more comfortable.

Leather seats from an Alfa 156 will fit, with very little modification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭photosmart

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is it not illegal under EU law now to have a different quote for men or women if same details.?

You can get a quote from its4women if you're a man
    its just a marketing tool

• Advertisement
Advertisement